Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Shockwav3

dwango2k4.wad in the making

okay folks, something big is gonna come for the deathmatch community.

as some of you already noticed aikman, the creator of original dwango series (dwango1-dwango6) is back around to playing doom now and has been seen a lot around recently on ZDaemon and #zdaemon on irc. as expectable (heh) he's been asked a few times already now if he could do a new compilation. he sadly had to realize that his former wad compiler isn't working anymore on modern systems and also has a very little time do any editing as he got family and a time taking job now.

this is where i came into the project. he told me how the map selection was done back when the original dwango wads were done and also allowed me to use the name of the series (and also recommended this one).

so guys this is what you need to do. you can either sign up for the group of ppl which is gonna rate wads/sounds/midis or you can recommend maps [no whole megawads pls] which shall go into the pack.

criterias for becoming a rater:
-bring a lot of time
-having a good eye on flow of the maps
-having a good eye on the theme of the maps
-see if maps are too cramped or whatever
-good reachability over either irc or IM [icq/aim/msn]

criterias for becoming a recommending a map(s):
-pls just recommend single maps (no megawads, but several maps from a megawad, if you think they're good)
-pls recommend maps on the forum this thread is posted (no e-mails if possible)
-recommend a level where it should be in the final wad (small fragfests first (maps 1-10 => 2-4 players). bigger camping maps last(maps 11-30 => 5-8 players))
-pls include/give me a link to the .txt of the wads which name the authors if you're gonna recommend an existing (and not selfmade) map/midi/sound for credits sake (recommendations without any credits will be removed)
-you can recommend selfmade maps or extra make maps for the compilation
-maps should have a decent ammount of detail (nothing to simple, nothing too overdetailed)
-pls don't recommend maps from wads already running on the servers (except you made them yourself)
-you can also take maps already known from the dwango series, change them a bit and recommend them also
-don't get mad at the raters if your map won't get taken :P
-pls try to keep the maps in the plain vanilla format so they can be played on any port

-addition: pls not too many d5m1/map01 remakes

if you have any ideas how to make this project better or want to help in any other way, feel free to post or contact me via IRC (#zdaemon on freenode/#skulltag on OFTC) or PM. get going and have fun :)

recommended maps so far:
wad - map - recommended place - submited by
none so far.

raters so far:
Shockwav3
Aikman
deathz0r
badfish
Ganja
leno
ralphis
Rat-Arsed

map creators:
ralphis
Rat-Arsed
Torn
Ganja

Shockwav3 said:
-pls include/give me a link to the .txt of the wads which name the authors if you're gonna recommend an existing (and not selfmade) map/midi/sound for credits sake (recommendations without any credits will be removed)

Might as well tell them to exclude any wads where the author does not give permission to use as a base. Keep in mind the dwango wads are a horrible example in respect to respecting other authors' requests. Don't follow that example, this isn't 1994 or something (where many people were so eager for new maps and so new at editing that they didn't mind just moving a few vertexes around and changing a couple of floor heights to modify a map into a new shape.)

Also, even remakes of maps like Dawngo5 Map01 or some of the rips from other wads (dweller maps or whatever) found in dwango wads are certainly bad ideas; if a mapper wants to make a tribute to such maps they might as well make a very similar layout from scratch, not copy-pasting any sectors or sections. They'll be respecting the original authors and they'll actually be achieving something themselves as wad makers.

Shockwav3 , before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done. XD

dwango2k4.wad? sounds interesting. I just hope there won't be maps like the first map in dwango5...

Linguica said:

dwango no longer exists so wtf is the point?

the dwango wads are still the most played wads to the day, maybe we can go on with that chain and create something new with a dwango-ish feeling

Deathman said:

dwango2k4.wad? sounds interesting. I just hope there won't be maps like the first map in dwango5...

there will probably be _one_ map01 remake

0-Mephisto-0 said:

Shockwav3 , before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done. XD

damn ... ppl should stop to post that everywhere