Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krivanka

Demos messing up

I've downloaded some doom2 speed runs and they always seem to go out of synch at one point or another. Like I was watching this speed run demo of the entire doom2 game and all of a sudden it makes a wrong move for some reason and messes up. This has happened 5 out of the 5 demos ive downloaded. So far I've gotten up to the map BArrels of fun and then it messed up. Almost like it missed a command or something.

For best results, make sure you play back in the port it was recorded with. Anything else will most likely not play correctly.

A port is a non-original EXE, like ZDoom, Boom, etc. What are you using? Are you using the original Doom2.exe? Is that what the demo is made for?

And I'm using doom95.exe cuz i bought off the idsoftware site, but it's still the same thing i think except the way it starts up is differet

All compet-n demos are recorded with the original DOS game, i.e. Doom2.exe, Doom.exe or the Final Doom DOS exes. They will play back most reliably with those DOS programs. Doom95 might work. They will definitely not play back with Zdoom.

If you don't have the original DOS exes, then the most reliable way to watch compet-n demos is to use prboom or eternity. Both those ports have very good demo compatibility with the real game - the developers have put a great deal of effort into that.

Also, you need to be sure that your iwad hasn't been altered, since something like a node rebuild can easily screw up demo playback.

If you want to watch demos that are posted in this forum, or that you have downloaded from DSDA, you need to check the text-file that accompanies each demo to see what they were recorded with, and use that same program (or one that is compatible with it) to watch them. The majority of them will play back OK with prboom or eternity too.

Grazza said:
Doom95 might work.

Krivanka, you will note that Doom95 fails to synch more or less when or after Lost Souls show up. Doom95 practically has full compatibility with The Ultimate DOOM's engine (Doom), but DOOM II's (Doom2) has slightly different Lost Soul behavior.

Grazza added:
If you don't have the original DOS exes, then the most reliable way to watch compet-n demos is to use prboom or eternity.

And here's the Doom2 engine, just in case. Note that it won't run too well on Windows 2000/XP.

I hate to go off topic. But what was changed about the lost soul behavior? Is it anything noticeable in-game?

That depends on your setup. The sound requires a DOS-based environment (from straight DOS up to Windows Me) plus a Sound Blaster compatible card. If you're on Windows 98 or something like that and have such a sound card, then your card isn't configured properly for DOS applications and/or Doom2 isn't set up. Actually, I should have also linked the Setup application for DOOM as well; it allows you to configure sound and controls.

Assmaster said:
I hate to go off topic. But what was changed about the lost soul behavior? Is it anything noticeable in-game?

On all v1.9 releases from 1995 and on Lost Souls will bounce back up when they hit the floor during an attack attempt, staying in attack mode on the way up (and maybe the down too if instead they hit the ceiling.) In the '94 release (and any previous versions) they stop the attack upon hitting the floor and slowly move or turn from there.