Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

GTA3 vs Vice City

I've had Vice City for a while and just got GTA3 recently. I played around with it some but didn't do much except the fire fighter missions so far.

Anyway, a friend of mine said they're a lot alike but have some differences (not just new things from GTA -> Vice City), so I wanted to know what sorts of things to expect.

Right now I know Liberty City doesn't have bikes or helicopters, which are two of my favorite means of transportation. I also noticed that the cops are INCREDIBLY painful. In Vice City I can cruise around with five stars most of the time, but in GTA3 two stars is too much. Also, I turned up the brightness to max because GTA3 is VERY dark.

I know there's different weapons. Someone said in GTA3 there's car bombs and not in Vice City. I've done Vice City 100% so I've seen most of the stuff. What other weapons are different? What's easier, and what's harder (the extra missions like firefighter and vigilante seem easier in GTA3).

Anyway, can anyone point out the main differences? What should I look forward to? And are there any serious bugs like the "ice cream shop" bug in Vice City? Or maybe you can just discuss which you like more...

I didn't like it a lot, but i never got to fly a plane... so, I can't really tell, but I like those games...

vc > gta3

I've played both.

IMO, the only thing gta3 has on vc is the huge lack of faggy pink 80's shit everywhere.

I prefered the radio stations in GTA3, I also find the cops pretty easy in GTA3 even on the high skill levels (they can't take your tires out etc)

I havent played much Vice City, but I Loooove GTA3. I remember Vice City being very bright, what with all the neon lights and day-glo everywhere. I also remember it having like 10,000 melee weapons. Still, I've played only 5 minutes of it. I bet it gets more fun after that.

GTA3>VC. GTA3 OWNS V.C. Yeah the helicptors and the bikes are cool, but that's pretty much the only advantage over GTA3 imo. Actually, I'm playing GTA3 right now, I think I'm on the 35th mission. Damn its fucking awesome. I for one hate how the player in Vice talks. It really took away from the imersion for me. And the stations fucking suck ass (even apart from the 80's music). They are not nearly as fu nny as Chatterbox for example. The classic interview between Laslo and Fernando Martinez. ROLF! And the cops are worse in Vice, imo. I have experienced the exact opposite of what you said, Nanami. Have fun playing it!

What I know is that GTA3 is far less optimized than GTAVC, and tends to run slower than the latter on high resolutions, even on some high-end PCs.

GTA3 also doesn't have bail outs, so you can't jump out of a moving vehicle to save your ass. I died many times in GTA3 by going too fast and flying into the water.

Slight spoiler in the below paragraph:
Another thing that always annoyed me in GTA3 was when you got one faction pissed at you (especially the mafia) it became near impossible to go through that area of town. Try and run firetruck or police missions with the mafia mad at you and you'll be spending a lot of time in the hospital. Not only that but even if you tear through that area of town in a cop car going 100mph they'll still see you and usually blow up your car, whereas in VC factions that hate you don't always notice you when you're going fast (and none of them have shotguns anyway).

Really, all the things that annoyed people in GTA3 were changed in VC, bail outs, shooting out tires, you can snipe people through car windows in VC but not GTA3, lack of air vehicle (the GTA3 dodo does not count), no motorcycles. The VC maps are also a lot larger and look better most of the time, but the GTA3 ones seem to be better laid out for speeding around and racing and stuff.

The missions in GTA3 are also less intuitive than the ones in VC. Most of the GTA3 missions are timed missions and a good amount of them are rehashes of a mission played on a previous island. Still, it's a great game, not without its share of flaws, but still a lot of fun.

edit: oh btw, vice city does have car bombs, 8-ball's bomb shop is in little hati I think, by the docks... in that same area where you 'fight' the taxi company I believe

Yeah, I did notice you can't bail out of moving vehicles. I haven't gotten a sniper rifle yet though, just a shotgun.

In Vice City I did 100% so the Hiatians are mad at me, but they're the only gang, and they're no threat anyway. Occasionally they'll pull me out of a car if I'm not paying attention but with the python (or the SPAS-12 I always have with me) they don't cause any problems. I did hear that in GTA3 gangs get to be a SERIOUS problem.

I'm doing the extra missions like taxi, vigilante, rescue, and fire missions first, so I don't have trouble later.

dr_st said:

What I know is that GTA3 is far less optimized than GTAVC, and tends to run slower than the latter on high resolutions, even on some high-end PCs.

True true, this actually surprised me, I expected it to run slower than GTA3 when looking at the VC screenshots. That's why I held off with getting VC but i have it and passed it recently. However it's still not faster than Call of Duty is on this pc. =\

And this just hit me, did anyone mention that you can have custom player skins/models in GTA3? In vice city you're more or less limited to the ones offered with cheat codes and the clothes you can buy in stores. Of course you could also edit some file in the vice city dir and change the player model there. I think I did that once to get to play as the cow girl ^_^

Nanami said:

I know there's different weapons. Someone said in GTA3 there's car bombs and not in Vice City.

Theres car bombs in Vice City. I never got 100% but i know theres car bombs. The car bomb shop (8 ball?) is somwere by the airport if i remeber correctly. On the last taxi mission your right by it. Sorry if you already knew.

I dunno anything that different between them besides being in different cities, bugs, gangs and all that. I never acctually played GTA3, I stopped at the second island and went back to VC.

I actually just got GTA3 from my Uncle, but I've played Vice City. I like both of them equally; even though VC has more features, both are still equally good gameplay-wise IMO. Anyway, why doesn't anyone talk about GTA2 and GTA1?

BTW, Lazlo rules!

Yes, GTA3's gangs can make your life a living hell. It's not impossible to complete all the side stuff after everyone hates you. But it's certainly harder. Stepping into Saint Mark's after a certain point is practically suicidal though.

In Vice City I can cruise around with five stars most of the time, but in GTA3 two stars is too much.

Then I guess you have no problems with the police that throw spike strips and shoot out your tires every other block. :P

I personally like VC better. Not being able to bail in GTA3 is a great annoyence to me, that and the cars also seem to tip over easier in that game too. I don't like the road/island layout of GTA3 either. Once you've gotten to the third island, a lot of the missions require you to drive from one island to another and I often get lost.

The spikes are easy to avoid. And some vehicles it doesn't matter. If all four tires pop it's easier to steer than if one pops. And the cops are still out to ram you, but I've never seen cops go as crazy as in GTA3. I could BARELY make it past 3 stars, because the cops go nuts in that game.

Also, in Vice City, I know the layout so I know where to get police bribes and where to hide. I don't yet know in GTA3.

Both are good for their differences.
GTA3 has cooler cars, better commericals in my opinion, eaiser missions, etc.
Vice City has motorcycles, harder missions, lots of fun minigames, famous hollywood actors, better radio stations, etc.
Either way, I love 'em both.
I just hope the next GTA game is even better than both.

I liked them both. Get a rocket launcher and blow everyon to hell with it! I had heard, In rumor only, That there is a shark in the water you can find and if you kill it, YOU CAN SWIM!! This is for Vice City.

Vice City has cooler guns like the minigun and the missions are easier (some of them anyways). Oh and the motorcycles are kickass. I wish GTA3 had at least one or two motorcycles. Oh and speaking of motorcycles, how many kinds can you get (In VC, duh :p)? Including the Pizza Boy, there are 4. Are there any other ones?

The city in GTA3 is much more gritty and violent-seeming, like it really is a crime-ridden metropolis that has given up all hope, whereas vice city looks like a bright sunny holiday resort, which i suppose it is really, i still think i prefer vice city though, because you can get the capri-like sabre (though its actually based on an oldsmobile), though i do like the kuruma of GTA3

I had heard, In rumor only, That there is a shark in the water you can find and if you kill it, YOU CAN SWIM!! This is for Vice City.

die

CyberDemonX said:

I had heard, In rumor only, That there is a shark in the water you can find and if you kill it, YOU CAN SWIM!! This is for Vice City.

Yea thats not true, you cant swim in any gta that i know of. but you can see a guy with cement shoes.

Lizardcommando said:

. Oh and speaking of motorcycles, how many kinds can you get (In VC, duh :p)?

Well if you count mopeds then 2 or 3 i think.

All the bikes:

Faggio-60's piaggio vespa scooter

Freeway-Harley davidson of some kind

Angel-custom harley (the vehicle of the biker gangs)

PCJ 600-Some 80's superbike

Sanchez-A dirtbike