Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Icarus Demos [-complevel 2]

map10 (Bridge by Ty Halderman), UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:04

ic10p004.zip

A one-second improvement over my 0:05 demo from April 2004(!). This one also has the advantage of being a vanilla-compat demo, rather than Boom (used back then only due to the lack of good recording options).

This took a lot of attempts - way more than it should. It's all skill of course - no luck at all involved here. :p The zip includes a couple of fails, where I demonstrate why it is a good idea to run in the right direction.

I'll try for 0:03 in 2031.

map05 (Flipside by Mark Snell), UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:23

ic05p023.zip

Not quite the time I was hoping for, but I think this shows that with a bit more luck, it could go very much sub-20. The funny thing is that the imp happily walks into the teleporter all on his own.

A couple of NMs. Recorded about a year ago, and basically WIPs that I lost interest in trying to improve.

map05 (Flipside by Mark Snell), Nightmare! Speed/Pacifist in 0:22 ic05n022.zip

map10 (Bridge by Ty Halderman), Nightmare! Speed/Pacifist in 0:04 ic10n004.zip

map05 (Flipside by Mark Snell), Nightmare! Pacifist/Speed in 0:20

Two-second improvement. Very frustrating run. So much for my target time of 0:16... 0:18 is probably more realistic, but I've spent long enough on this for now.

Edited by Grazza : fixed error in txt

10 hours ago, Scorpius said:

MAP27 - Pacifist in 0:13

Nice, 13.57 vs. 13.97 by Kristian. It's about time you started using correct -complevels, though. -complevel 2 for all classic vanilla WADs; for Plutonia and Evilution there's preference for -complevel 4. I guess it didn't matter much in your previous runs, but sooner or later you will discover the behaviour is different and you have an advantage or disadvantage over previous runners, depending on the map.

Try the following experiment: load up MM2, MAP16, -nomonsters, and try to grab the red key as in UV Speed. You will not be able to do it no matter what. Then when you add -complevel 2 to the command line, suddenly the grab will become easy. Please start using complevels so that conditions (you/past speedrunners) are more equal.

1 hour ago, vdgg said:

-complevel 2 for all classic vanilla WADs; for Plutonia and Evilution there's preference for -complevel 4. I guess it didn't matter much in your previous runs, but sooner or later you will discover the behaviour is different and you have an advantage or disadvantage over previous runners, depending on the map.

Try the following experiment: load up MM2, MAP16, -nomonsters, and try to grab the red key as in UV Speed. You will not be able to do it no matter what. Then when you add -complevel 2 to the command line, suddenly the grab will become easy.

Thanks for the info, I have no idea what -complevel actually does, so naturally I just ignored it. I ran MAP16 of MM2, and found that (after a little bit of difficulty) I did manage to grab the Red Key in complevel 2 vs whatever the standard complevel is for PRBoom+. Therefore, I will use this -complevel command for my future runs now. :)

P.S. Is there a way to find out the EXACT time for these runs? I didn't know I got 13[.57] on that run.

Edited by Scorpius

@Scorpius

prboom-plus -file icarus -playdemo icarus-lv27-013 -levelstat

You'll find a newly created file levelstat.txt with your time. If it existed, it will be overwritten. There is probably a dozen different ways to achieve that (what would @kraflab do?) but that's the way I check it.

Map02 (Shuttle Bay by John Minadeo), UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:18

First released demo in this category. Note that my 0:32, listed as such at DSDA, is in fact a Stroller.

Should be faster, but the monsters seem much more interested in harming each other than the player.

ic02p018.zip

Edited by Grazza

These are some old UV-Max demos done throughout 2018, thought I had lost them but I managed to dig up the demos for MAP01-MAP11 in my hard drive. I think I had more but I can't seem to find them.

Times:

MAP01 - 2:33

MAP02 - 2:47

MAP03 - 1:31

MAP04 - 1:17

MAP05 - 2:17

MAP06 - 1:07

MAP07 - 1:57

MAP08 - 2:24

MAP09 - 2:06

MAP10 - 1:41

MAP11 - 6:52

icarus_01-11.zip

Found the remaining UV-Max demos I've done in 2018, MAP20 was not done in -complevel 2 (don't know or remember why) so that one is excluded from here. MAP21-MAP30 never got started on, so this is basically it with Icarus for me. :)

Times:

MAP12 - 3:49

MAP13 - 3:58

MAP14 - 5:46

MAP15 - 2:03

MAP16 - 3:58

MAP17 - 3:47

MAP18 - 2:58

MAP19 - 3:16

MAP31 - 1:37

MAP32 - 1:18

icarus_ep2.zip