Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Icarus Demos [-complevel 2]

DEMOn said:

your In32 demo is down. :(

That was a funny thing - webspace4free.biz deleted my account without any warning, so I said bye-bye to them and created a paid account here. Uploaded here a couple of earlier forum demos, too.

One more: Map10 UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:05. This was difficult - my best previous time was 0:12 (after lots of attempts), and then suddenly this little miracle happened. If you watch it with a walkcam you'll see that a sergeant shoots me with absolutely perfect timing.

UV is much harder than NM on this map because the monsters are bunch of useless dozy gits. :p

It's a Boom demo.

And another: Map23 UV Speed in 1:53. No tricks here; just a good old-fashioned speedrun. Lots of monsters blocking the path, so there's a fair amount of killing early on and dodging towards the end. It's also a Boom demo.

I decided to knock one of the undone NMs on the head with some tool-assistance:

Icarus Map25 NM TAS demo in 1:02.

Doom2.exe format demo, recorded with Budko's modified PrBoom 2.2.4. I used slow-motion (50% of normal up to the jump; 10% for the landing) and a few saves (i.e. -recordfrom) - 6 of them, IIRC.

There's no way on earth I could do this one without tool-assistance, but maybe other people could. Not at all time-optimized; I just wanted an NM exit.

I think it's time to dl Icarus and to watch all your demos :)

BTW, can you quit a recording with "q", when you use Andrey's prboom version? And it is possible with it to do another try without deleting the previous .lmp. Recording with the original prboom 2.2.4 sometimes gets on my nerves.

No, I don't think there is a way to quit in just one key-press. "Quit" is F10 by default (you can remap to "Q" if you like), but you still need to press "Y" to confirm it.

Budko's version will not overwrite an existing demo; you could make a batch file to take care of that each time, of course.

Budko's exe does have two major advantages over the standard 2.2.4 for recording ordinary demos though:
1) There is no silly "demo recorded" dialogue box that pops up. That really gets on my nerves - just one more thing to do between attempts, and it's utterly pointless.
2) You get GF50 gametics, rather than GF49.

If you use Budko's exe, remember to turn off the permanent strafe-50 and strafe-50 while turning. The cfg file in the zip has them turned on.

Hey :)

I gave some maps a few tries, so far I have these times :

Map 02 NM in 0:19
Map 12 UV in 0:23
Map 22 UV in 0:28
Map 22 NM in 0:29
Map 27 NM in 0:13

I sent the demos to Opulent, hopefully I can give the links soon :)

PS: All recorded with Doom2.exe, strafe 40 only of course :)
Opulent edit: http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/SBB_Icarus_demos.zip
great to see Selim in action again! :)

Nice to see those ideas and routes put to good use. :)

Gonna try any of the undone NMs?

Sbastard said:

Sure when I have time ( next week I think) :)

I can't help waiting :P

The NM Pacifist on map04 (In04-033.lmp) surprised me. I'd presumed the slide there was too long for it to be possible without rocket assistance.

Anyway, I worked on the route a bit, and managed a 0:23 (Icarus map04 NM Pacifist). Could go a lot faster though.

Sbastard said:

BTW I almost completed lv08 on NM. I should get it next time I play (tomorrow hopefully).

Ah, I didn't even start to mess around with this map. There's just too much work until you finally get that bloody key :)

I moved the "lag" discussion to its own thread. Makes sense I think; maybe more people who can help will look at it now.

The only Icarus related comment in the moved posts was Vince's "I was wondering, if one would go for a TAS icarus run, how many times would he have to suicide ? :)"

Not all, since some have switch-style exits. :( But quite a lot for sure. Whether you'd make use of every possibility for one, I don't know. In some of the maps it makes only a small difference if you use the red key or use a suicide exit. I had made some notes on each map's suitability for suicide exits, but it's buried in amongst a big stack of papers ATM. Some of my presumptions were wrong too (e.g. map04). If I find it, I'll post details. A 30ic or 30in TAS run would certainly be hilarious to watch.

I have completed map08 in NM,not that hard actually, except the end which can get tricky. But the demo sucks so much I'll improve it before uploading :p

Selim: It would be nice to see that map08 NM, however sucky it is.

I've had very little time to record anything (or even to play much Doom) lately, but here's a Pacifist on map26 in 0:33. Silly imps!

Here's one I'd been intending to do for a while:
Icarus map19 ("Blessed are the Quick" by Rand Phares) UV Speed in 1:21.

I did a nomo previously, but hadn't been able to use the same route with monsters present. For this demo I added one extra trick: blocking the 30-second bars.

I spent a while trying to avoid triggering the linedefs near the start, but had no success with that.

I haven't played much Doom at all for the last month or so, which explains the wooden-looking movement.

I did this map on NM too:

Icarus map19 Nightmare! in 3:08.

Quite a struggle, and not the prettiest of demos, but it's another undone Icarus NM done.

Belated edit: thanks to Donatas for his comments (several months ago) on this possible NM run, and his description of the main problems that would need to be overcome.

Icarus map21 ("Engine Core" by Dean Johnson) UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:18.

I'm quite happy with this, as it was rather a pain to record (100 attempts? 200? - I wasn't counting). I would have settled for a 0:21 (following a 0:22 where I'd fumbled the exit switch), but suddenly I got a run where the red key area went unbelievably well.

Woo! Neatness! I wanna see someone do a movie. AFAIK, there isn't one. If some talented recorder would undertake one, that would rock. I know requesting something big like this isn't polite or smart, though, so I leave with saying Icarus is good, and these demos are teh cool.

It's a fair enough question. "Make a 30ic TAS movie" is somewhere on my imaginary list of "things to do if I had lots of free time".

Some of the maps are relatively long runs, so TASing them would be quite a lot of work - and I don't see much point making a mediocre TAS movie, with certain parts a very long way from optimized.

I've never done much work on map01 - if that could be done in non-ugly fashion, then an Episode 1 TAS UV Speed movie might be a viable project.

As for a non-TAS movie, these suicide exits don't always work (esp. when monster cooperation is needed), so it would be very frustrating indeed to record.

For future Icarus work, I'm more inclined to put time into the undone NM runs (and a few more strollers, for a laugh).

And thanks for your comments!

Yeah, I know Icarus isn't exactly a conducive recording environment as is Scythe or Hell Revealed, but you must admit that a movie of such would be lots of fun to watch.

I think Icarus is an excellent recording environment, but making any good 30-level TAS demo is a huge undertaking (especially if you have little experience with TAS). No one has made a 30sc, and Yonatan Donner is the only person to have TASed a 30hr - and both TAS and HR were projects that he was a principal driving force behind.

A couple more, both ending with the player dead and no harm caused to monsters:

Map10 NM100S (+ Pacifist) in 0:38. There are five secrets to visit, and I skip the red key and use a dead exit instead. Perhaps it would be a little bit quicker to use the pool room rather than the dining room, but I don't think there's much in it (but a big difference healthwise).

I've done a few more Icarus strollers, but I'm only happy with one of them:
Map15 (secret exit) UV Stroller in 0:31. Uses the same basic route as my NM run, but features a funny trick to overcome the fact that I can't skip a one-time-only teleport linedef by running over it.

It's been quite a while, but here's another Icarus demo, featuring a new (though fairly simple) trick.

Map14 UV Pacifist/Speed in 1:13.

Not an exciting demo, I'm afraid. The trick is that I keep the multiplayer exit accessible by avoiding the linedef that would seal it off.

I decided to revisit something:

Map25 UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:28

I'm not sure why I used to find this jump (and the landing) difficult. This took less than ten minutes. :/