Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

Do you think we could REANIMATE Metroid TC?

I was surprised to see that Metroid TC forum still exists, althouh I was the last person to write something down there.

I really think we could reanimate this TC. We had brilliant ideas, some really nice graphic, a weapon made by Fredrik... Maps will be no problem and I've found some Metroid midis recently.

Guys! We could start this all over again! This would be one of the best TCs ever, if we had finished!

Oh come on! I know that CChest 2 is on the run. I'm trying to get involved too, but this may bee a briliant TC! I'm currently experimentig with *.exe, and sprites.

I found hundreds of sprites for metroid characters, but they're mostly side views. I've got all af the music I think and some sounds.

What metroid game would it be after. Metroid, MetroidII, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, or Metroid Prime. I dunno if theres any more.

I dont think the plan was to emulate any particular metroid game.

Heh, I kept planning to take down those forums, but I never got around to it. They must look like hell with all the css and images removed.

I think that's a fine idea, ellmo. It shows a particular interest when someone on the old team, other than me, suggested this and that's what counts. I'm willing to help in any way I can -- and best of all, I've got a new computer that'll definitely be a great tool for this.

I would definately love to see it, if it can be done well. And if it was for ZDoom, I'd think about helping out. Is there a page or something? I didn't hear of it the first time around, so I'm a bit lost on it.

Guys, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Job said:

I think that's a fine idea, ellmo. It shows a particular interest when someone on the old team, other than me, suggested this and that's what counts. I'm willing to help in any way I can -- and best of all, I've got a new computer that'll definitely be a great tool for this.

Good you're still interested. I'll tell you how the JOB :) is going to look like in my opinion.

The project was lost, because we couldn't agree to the story and source port. I would like to do a TC for ZDoom (due to it's flexibility on my computer, and ease of some options), the ACS might be coming handy. And the TC is going to be a reconstruction of planet Zebes.

That's beacuse I have all the midis from the game and it would be awesome to hit the tab in ZDoom and to see that tha map name is "Brinnstar" or "Maridia"... heh, right, Maridia must be good. Everything must be good.

Trasher, I would be gratefull for any SMetroid sounds you could rip to wav, for I have only few. Send them to my mail If you can.

We could use the same forum again If only the older treads were removed. I've already scavenged whole forum for what I could download (Scuba Steve's arm along with dehacked, some Scuba's, Fredrik's and Blue Sonnet's textures). What do You say, Job, Assmaster?

Okay, I've grouped those scavenged textures, and added some of mine. They're just recoloured standard Doom2 textures to meet with Brinstar, Maridia, Norfair theme requirements.

I'll post them here soon.

Cyb said:

Guys, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Cyb, before you start trying to act mega-cool-and-whatnot by using the newproject tag, make sure you check that the person doesn't have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of uses of the newproject tag that only succeeded in making the person using it look like a complete moron, because they did have something to show.

Erm... mp3?
We don't know exactly what kind of music we would like. But stay tooned, Ubik :)

Please, Ubik, feel free to continue working on the music that was your part of the project before. It was quite good and I'd be pleased if you did keep up the fine work.

If you're gonna use ZDoom, you should add in things like fireballs flying out of the lava, smoke/steam coming from geothermal vents, bubbles coming from cracks in Maridia, increased friction and decreased gravity in Maridia, animated bubble doors (implementation could be tricky), doors that have to be shot several times, perhaps changing color as they get close to opening...

I hope for the dehacked you have limited the range of Samus' projectiles (it's not the range you control directly, but speed of the projectile and how long before it disappears -- Scuba would know, this is like his flamethrower). Also keep in mind that you CAN freeze monsters in ZDoom. You don't even have to specify freeze-frames for the object in question, because ZDoom will automatically apply a blue/gray translation as well. Just like in Metroid, it won't let you just freeze and shatter the big baddies until their health is low enough, so implementing a freeze gun will be nice and clean.

EDIT: And more! Using translations and actor property modification in ZDoom, you can plant two of the same enemies and then change one's colors, speed, and health to make him like... well, you know how a lot of old games would have a red and a blue version of an enemy? Like that.

You can also do so many scripting effects that could come in handy. I was just thinking about getting detail added to your map in Metroid 3, and I think that if you see an area through a camera in ZDoom it adds it to your automap. (Not sure, although even if not, the feature could be requested.) Therefore, to have your map completed, all you would need to do is run a very quick 360 degree view of every room (won't take as long as it sounds)... it wouldn't be just like in Metroid 3, but you could say it was a security camera thing instead of a map computer.

I was personally thinking something a bit closer to Metroid Prime in terms of gameplay. Weapons being infinite range, and all that. The Ice Beam sounds pretty easy to implement, along with the Plasma/Flame Gun (using Ice and Fire damage respectively). ZDoom's configureable gravity will definately make things interesting, with regards to underwater levels, High Jump boots, and Gravity Suit. And with clever use of the Porkelator/Morph Ovum, you could possibly pull off the Morph Ball..

But, AFAIK I'm not a member on this team, so I'm really just voicing my opinion on what I'd like.

So what about it? Anyone done something interesting lately?

I had to stop ripping those textures because of the school, but I'm sure some of you keep working in spare time.

I can come up with ideas, and maybe do quality control.. but I'm not the best at creating content. I can probably do some okay levels though, if you have anyone to fix them up and make them look prettier.