Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ellmo

Metroid textures n' flats

This are the ones saved from the TC froum. Some are made by Fredrik, some by Scuba Steve, some are Blue Sonnet's work.

Technical ones. To be used with wrecked ship theme, or somethin.

And here are some recoloured textures for:
a) brinnstar

b) crateria

c) norfair

d) maridia

Probably therea re few I forgot to paste here. I will have better, less recognizable textures soon, and I'm waiting for these made by you.

Looks good to me -- I'm glad I'm not the only one who saved some of the TC resources.

Isn't Brinstar supposed to be a bluish gray color? And I'd darken the ones for Maridia (in both Super Metroid and Metroid Prime the underwater levels were pretty dim). Those Maridia ones might work as-is as long as the levels themselves are dark, though..

PS. Just remembered. Yeah Brinstar is green, my bad. Crateria is supposed to be blue shaded though, not green/turquoise.

I am. I will make at least some maps with textures and enemies and music and sound... and maybe this will not get finished only by me. But I will try!

About Maridia textures. I know they should be a tad darker, but these are the bitmaps after tuning into Doom palette. In my graphic editor they looked a bit different. I attempted to make the colour as similar as possible many times, but that's the final one. Of course these are not final textures, and hey! I think we're going tu use Coloured lightning and Fade in all of the maps, so there's no problem methinks.

Yeah, Doom is pretty bad with the blue and purple range. They should come out somewhat better in ZDoomGL though. I hope to see a small demo soon. :)

Scuba Steve said:

Most importantly, we must use Fredriks new pallette.

Which one? The one from fughdm? Or his new one with the blue-grey?

It's half past new year's eve right here in Poland already. Best wishes to all of you.

An I have plenty of new textures right now, and those older were darkened to meet your requirements...

Scuba Steve said:

Most importantly, we must use Fredriks new pallette.

Ooo, shit! We're doing this again.
Let me just remind you where the project hast stuck lastly... on Fredrik's palette.

I don't mean to be rude, don't mean to insult anyone. I honour Fredrik as a grat graphman, but IMO introducing his new pallete will cause more problems to us that it could possibly solve. First, I don't know anything about his pallette. And I really think that Doom deafault palette is enough. Sure it has some lacks in blue and purple-magenta colours, but all of us are pretty familiar with it's drawbacks.

Last time we tried to do this TC, it was canceled beacuse everyone concentrated on Fred's pallette, that was incoming, but never really came. Artists were waitnig for new pallette, so they didn't draw any new textures. And mappers stuck in their work, for they've been waiting for new textures...

If we must neccesarily swithc to new pallette; oaky. It's silly, but okay. But I request... no, I ask you to continue our work with Doom palette, please.

Job, will you not agree with me?

Foremost, I believe original graphics are better than recolored Doom graphics, second that graphics are better off in true color, third, is the project not dead?

Right.
And about those textures. It's obvious, that the original ones qould be better, but I'm not like an artist. I have simple graphic programmes to adjust colour level, so I'm doing it to get the best result. Many of those textures will be canceled, of course, but what I'm supposed to do? I belive there will be some left, that even you'll agree they can fit somewhere in the project. I've also ripped some simple Super Metroid textures. Although they are in 320x240 low res, they will definately make the climate.

In few days I'm planning to sart some mapping. I've redone Scuba's weapon *.deh, added sound to it, adjusted firing rate and damage. The weapons may cause some problems later, but now it's nothing to worry.

TSTuke said:

I have improved textures of my ones (in the technical texture section) if it means anything.

Where do you have them now TST? Post a link, or send them down to me. Glad to hear you back.

Okay, screw those you've seen before (except those technical ones)

I currently have textures as such:

I know the combination looks damn tacky right now, but I have to deterimne which are definately to be deleted.

Very nice -- did you manage to pull some of those from the SNES cart? I was going to suggest it myself, but you seem to have beaten me to the chase. If revamped, the last of those could make for a very nice skybox. :)

Those look pretty nice. If you guys want, I can throw a short level together that you can apply those textures to.

Also, what kind of music will you be going for? I personally loved the industrial/electronic music in Metroid Prime. It fit very well with the techno-advanced theme of the game.

Well, because I felt like it, here's a tiny level you can use to slap textures onto and otherwise play around with. All it has is one door (using a script, source supplied), and no exit. For ZDoom, Doom2 mode.

KCat said:

...here's a tiny level...

Now, where is it?

And to the music, since we're going to use MIDI (most probably), I think we should use Super Metroid songs. I've pelnty of them an they defiantely make the climate, especially Maridia and Lower Norfair.

KCat said:

...you could use the SPCs directly (along with MIDIs, MP3s and MODs). ZDoom supports them.

I didn't knew that ZDoom supports SPCs. that's nice.