Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Project name

It has been pointed out by a few people that we probably shouldnt be naming this "FreeDOOM" as the DOOM name could be a trademark infringement. There is a slight argument between myself and Julian over how to resolve this :)

Julian wants to use the name "despayre", named after the despayre.org server which arioch runs, where as I would rather use a name such as "FreeIWAD" which I think better describes what the project is about. Julian dislikes this because he believes it sounds too technical and might confuse less knowledgable people.

Comments/Suggestions?

On the one hand, it would really be cool to have it named Despayre.

On the other, I'm quite partial to using something like but not necessarily exactly FreeIWAD.

That being said, why not have both?

Despayre: Free IWAD (or something similar)

I think Despayre is actually a good name for a Doom TC.

I think Arioch is right. It should be some thing along the lines of what he said.

I don't see how FreeDoom is an infringement.

What about Demon Stalkers: The Raid on Doomfane, Crack of Doom, Hacker 2: The Doomsday Papers, Midway: The Battle that Doomed Japan, Spider-Man and Captain America in: Dr. Doom's Revenge, Doomdark's Revenge (a.k.a. Lords of Midnight 2), Zork Quest 2: The Crystal of Doom, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, Lords of Doom, Countdown to Doom, Return to Doom, Last Days of Doom...?

Arioch's idea to have a name and a 'subtitle' is good.

Anyway, I think we really need a name 'like' Doom. I mean, we need people to be able to say 'I've played X' as they say 'I've played Doom'. So a good title is necessary. I like Despayre, but I dunno if it's the best possible name.

About the fact we could use Doom in the title, I think we're on a really sharp line with this project and I don't think it's a good idea to get attention from id by using 'Doom'. I mean, we copy their textures, no need to be arrogant.

As a conclusion I would say that something like 'Despayre: the free iwad' could be acceptable. But I still think it's a bad idea to wanna put too much information in a title. A title must be easy to remember and give an atmosphere, as 'Doom' does : There is nothing about the game being a fps or hell related in this title, but there's an atmosphere.

I like the subtitle; "FreeIWAD" is what the thing is, not what it should be called. When's the last time you saw a movie called "movie"? C'mon now :P

"The Free IWAD" or something similar used as a subtitle and only a subtitle has my vote. Despayre has a cool ring to it, and it's a similar word to Doom that implies a similar mental picture or thought when heard.

I suppose the best idea would be to wait until we get most of the maps in place. FreeDOOM is a good enough working name for now, and after the DoomCenter interview and other hype, that's what it's become known as to everybody. I'd suggest holding off on renaming it until it nears completion.

"Despayre
Despayre, a prison planet located in the Horuz system in the distant Outer Rim, was the construction site for the first Death Star. The almost unknown status of the world helped guarantee the security of the orbital construction yards assembled to build the battle station. Despayre was green jungle planet broken by rivers and shallow seas, and home to countless predators including carnivorous crustaceans, poisonous flora, and deadly insects. The planet's penal colony was the only outpost in the system, and many prisoners were used to help construct the Death Star. When the battle station was completed, it tested its superlaser on Despayre and utterly destroyed the planet. [MTS, DSTC, DS]"

Maybe we should rethink using that name...

I have to admit, I'd prefer 'despair' to 'despayre'.. I think its a bit corny.

I don't see how FreeDoom is an infringement.

What about Demon Stalkers: The Raid on Doomfane, Crack of Doom, Hacker 2: The Doomsday Papers, Midway: The Battle that Doomed Japan, Spider-Man and Captain America in: Dr. Doom's Revenge, Doomdark's Revenge (a.k.a. Lords of Midnight 2), Zork Quest 2: The Crystal of Doom, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, Lords of Doom, Countdown to Doom, Return to Doom, Last Days of Doom...?

Heh, the point is we CANT use the doom name!

END = ENDs Not Doom
BIND = BIND Is Not Doom
DINTUD = Doom Isn't Needed To Use DINTUD
MITOLTI = MITOLTI Is Treading On Legal Thin Ice
ASBRAD = ASBRAD Shouldn't Be Referred to As Doom
E-AUTODAWPACOD = E-AUTODAWPACOD Allows Users To Operate Doom Addons Without Purchasing A Copy Of Doom

Despayre sounds good. Should we make a poll in the forums. Im not just gonna run off to make a poll without the OK.

LOL I was wondering when we were going to address the FreeDoom problem. It has a nice ring, but it does have its prob's.

Let's just not spend to much time wrangling over it. Despair is cool enough by me. Now let's get back to replacing those resources . . .

"Despayre
Despayre, a prison planet located in the Horuz system in the distant Outer Rim, was the construction site for the first Death Star. The almost unknown status of the world helped guarantee the security of the orbital construction yards assembled to build the battle station. Despayre was green jungle planet broken by rivers and shallow seas, and home to countless predators including carnivorous crustaceans, poisonous flora, and deadly insects. The planet's penal colony was the only outpost in the system, and many prisoners were used to help construct the Death Star. When the battle station was completed, it tested its superlaser on Despayre and utterly destroyed the planet. [MTS, DSTC, DS]"

Maybe we should rethink using that name...

Who the hell would notice that? Where the hell did you find something like that anyway?

Despayre: The Free IWAD gets my vote.

http://www.babylon.com

I think Ling's Idea about the infinity sign is good. Although it being a bit cheeky isn't it?

END is quite good as well, but it doesn't have that ring to it.

Whatever it is, I think it should just be a one-word and easy to remember name, e.g.:

Evil
Ruin
Hell
Demise
Demon
Unholy
Judgement
Destruction

Nice recursive definitions.

What about PHP: PHP hypertext preprocessor? :)

Freedom with infinity sign is a good idea. So is Mood.

Cheesy idea of the year: Froom!