Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bartwart

SSG with spidermastermind in BEX

I'm sure this topic(or a related one) has come up before, but when I searched the forum I didn't find anything similar.

So I put these entries in a bex file and they don't do the intended action. Instead, it causes the spiders to fire squat. I did similar stuff swapping monster "ammo" to other monster (and even to the player) and those worked. So what the hell is wrong with this?

#[CODEPTR]
Frame 648 = FirePlasma (Supposed to give Arach. the player plasma bolt -blue-, but doesn't work)
Frame 650 = FirePlasma

#Frame 616 = FireShotgun2 (Supposed to give Spidermastermind a chain supershotgun. No work. Why?)
#Frame 617 = FireShotgun2
#Frame 618 = FireShotgun2

Thanks in advance.

Though according to something i read a long time ago, bex files "allow you to apply any codepointer to any frame!", but its total fiction

No, I've tried to get the plasma rifle to fire arachnotron plasma bullets, but it seems to want to fire towards the center of the map, not at the targets. Same thing applies for other monster weapons. I was even able to ressurect monsters with an archvile code pointer, but again it only worked when facing to the center of the map. Never tried giving a monster a player's weapon though...

EDIT:
UV: ugh, same time postage

I believe using monster attack codepointers can result in the player automatically counterattacking when shot at by a monster.

Maybe there are problems in ZDoom, but Eternity's PlayerThunk (an EDF command) fixes most of them. It even lets you fire certain Heretic monster projectiles!

deathbringer said:

"allow you to apply any codepointer to any frame!", but its total fiction

Not total fiction, and possibly not quite the correct quote.

What this probably would have been referring to is that with BEX you can give any frame a code pointer, and remove codepointers from frames that already have one. In dehacked this was impossible. You could only change pointers for frames that already had one, you could not give a pointer to a frame that didn't have one, and you could not remove a pointer from a frame.

With BEX, you still cannot use any code pointer on any frame, because sometimes the pointer will be unsuitable, but you can give any frame a (suitable) codepointer.

NiGHTMARE said:

Although I believe you can in both ZDoom and Eternity.

Tried it with both Eternity and Zdoom (latest builds for both), and both failed.

It's too bad. I was going to create a .bex with suped up bosses. I gave Archvile the ability to fire baby spider plasma bolts that explode into BFG blasts (I've tried to get those to home, but the SEEKERMISSLE bit doesn't seem to work, so instead I made them really fast). Now the archvile can go toe-to-toe with a cyberdemon, but the Spidermastermind gets creamed against the archvile. A chain super-shot gun would be nice, or even a regular shot gun would be nice too.

Hey, I'll see if the zombie sargent's shotgun can be used with the spidermastermind. Hmmm....

bartwart said:

Tried it with both Eternity and Zdoom (latest builds for both), and both failed.

It's too bad. I was going to create a .bex with suped up bosses. I gave Archvile the ability to fire baby spider plasma bolts that explode into BFG blasts (I've tried to get those to home, but the SEEKERMISSLE bit doesn't seem to work, so instead I made them really fast). Now the archvile can go toe-to-toe with a cyberdemon, but the Spidermastermind gets creamed against the archvile. A chain super-shot gun would be nice, or even a regular shot gun would be nice too.

Hey, I'll see if the zombie sargent's shotgun can be used with the spidermastermind. Hmmm....

That reminds me of PSX Doom...I used a gameshark with it once, for hoots, and there was a code in their to have mega-rapid fire weapons. When I used the chaingun with this, it got a far more believable chaingun that could compete with the Spidermastermind's. I recommend trying to just speed up the chaingun.

[QUOTE]Job said:

That reminds me of PSX Doom...I used a gameshark with it once, for hoots, and there was a code in their to have mega-rapid fire weapons. When I used the chaingun with this, it got a far more believable chaingun that could compete with the Spidermastermind's. I recommend trying to just speed up the chaingun.
[/QUOTE

Speeding up the chaingun did the trick. I set the frame durations to 1 and now the spider chews through me real fast.

PlayerThunk only lets the player use monster pointers. Monsters will never be able to use player pointers, no matter what I do, because monsters don't have player_t or pspdef_t objects that I can pass in, and none of the player pointers can work without them.

There will eventually be a generalized monster bullet codepointer like FireCustomBullets for the player. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. It would allow you to easily recreate the super shotgun for enemies to use.