Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Anders

Testers needed.

Hi, I hacked the eternity engine some to see how much work it would be to make it able to record 1.9 compatible demos. As it's going to require quite some work to put this into the engine permanently (this is just an ugly hack atm), i'd be grateful if people would like to help me out testing this.

file:
http://linux01.org:2222/TR/eternity-comphack.zip

info:
use with eternity engine 3.31 beta 5, downloadable from http://www.doomworld.com/eternity/ .

start with -comphack (and -record obviously)

record a bunch of demos, replay them in doom(2).exe 1.9

tell me if they desync.

thanks!

[mod]
Since that link seems to be broken, I've uploaded it to two places:
3ddownloads (enable javascript/pop-ups and cookies, and be prepared to wait a few minutes)
my own webspace (expect that to be just temporary, since space is limited)
If the file was deliberately removed because you don't want people to download it any more for some reason, please let me know, and I'll remove it from both these locations.
[/mod]

Works very well. I even did one in HR.WAD map26 with tons of monsters, and even an Arch-Vile jump worked.

Sounds great. Since I recently expressed the desire for Eternity to have exactly this feature, I think I'd better test this. :)

OK, I've tested it a bit, with no failures. Fantastic stuff. Doom2.exe compatibility and proper GF50/GB50 gametics!

One thing I tried it with was re-recording Icarus map15 UV Speed, which seems a reasonably good test, since it includes a grab (unless you skip it...) and a rocket suicide exit.

Sound absolutely amazing Anders, too bad I dont have time to test it myself atm :/

This gets better and better: saving works. If you save the game while recording, the save works when playing back the demo with Doom2.exe, and restoring from that save works OK.

I'm not too sure how useful that is in itself, but it means that "eternity -comphack" can be used to play normally (not just when recording) with savegames and Doom2.exe compatibility. That's not possible in Prboom for some reason. What a nice feature to have appeared around the same time as HR2!

Oh, and I've done a bit more testing. A NM demo worked no problems. Next thing to test is one of the maps in H2H-Xmas where no demos I recorded in Prboom would play back under Doom2.exe (edit: no luck, but it's probably a map issue). Another one to test for similar reasons is Bndaly8.wad.