Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krivanka

Whatt is the most popular editor?

I still used Waded religiously. although, Doom Builder going to get some attention soon. WADED 4 EVAR! w00t!

ahem...

sorry

ROFL.

Most Popular is just too subjective, guys.

I keep saying that, as a community, I think we all should be happy as hell to see ALL the editors that are out there and being currently developed.

I haven't TRIED DeepSea yet, but for no other reason that I fairly recently got back into editing and just starting trying Doombuilder.

Coming from DETH as a background, DB accomplishes what I need. The 3D mode is, from a texturing point of view (and of course my worthless opinion), indispensible. Editing with DB "makes sense" to me just as much as DCK "made NO sense" to me.

That doesn't mean I couldn't make good content with WA or DeepSea. I mean, what's the download size? Under 5MB each? Big deal!

I would say that DB is getting more "press time" lately just due to the fact that it's new, feature-rich, and currently getting a lot of attention by CodeImp on the updating front.

But in these forums, I know that many threads mention DS and WA. So... they are popular as well.

If nothing else, support your editor of choice. Send email, register it if you use it, send a donation for beer money or something.

I'm with you man...:) But of course the other big catch is that Doombuilder is free, which of course makes it even more popular. But yeah...support your editor of choice, even if they don't ask for money maybe even give them something for the hard work. Long live all these Doom editors....not bad for a game that's over ten years old!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Actually, it's funny: I use DoomBuilder and DeePsea (an older version, 11.76, but it has what I want). I've also been experimenting with WadC, but judging from the responses garnered here I'd say that WadC isn't all that popular. :(

Only one map has ever been made with WadC afaik, and that was by the author of the editor for DW's 10 sectors contest. I think WadC is a cool editor, although I wouldn't want to use it myself :P

I distinctly recall someone releasing a WadC level at some point.

And a bunch of toy maps have been made with it, of course. For example that sphere test level. It'd be fun to see it with slopes today.

The mapper makes the maps, not the editor.

Why is everything always bashed and flamed? I agree with Tolwyn, I think it's as dumb as the Newdoom flames. It's all one community. Why not just say what you use, or what you think Krivanka should use, and get on with it?

I've used a lot of editors in my time. Back when I never found any good Doom sites, I found WinDEU, which I actually REALLY liked, but to today's standards it's terrible, but I found it good for beginners. Then I moved up to Deepsea and thought I found heaven... but then discovered the size limit and swore at it. Next up was Wadauthor, which I really hated because of how you had to split Linedefs if you wanted more vertices and make polygonal sectors to get started on things. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE. I only used it because it was the only other editor at the time that was good for editing Zdoom maps. Then of course came the holy grail of them all, Doom Builder. DB is a really good editor. It has draw mode (The main reason why I hated Wadauthor) and that one feature mixed with me being able to easily edit the config got me hooked, surprisingly the 3d mode didn't catch my interest too much...

So anyways I use DB and that's how it's going to stay! I think...

Well not sure if this is an oversight or you never realized - just some corrections :)

DeePsea was the first editor that could make levels up to the maximum limit (64k lines) and has the first nodebuilder (DeePBSP) to support same (zdbsp was 2nd). The limit is just for the shareware for obvious reason. (I think that's what you meant though).

And DeePsea was the first editor to support ZDOOM maps. WA never had ZDOOM support, only what could be cobbled together from HEXEN and user supplied definition files. Meaning it's missing all the special flags. You can set these manually in raw mode if you want to do some math:)

Glad you like line drawing :)

I started out using DoomCad...ugh! But it's what I used to get my first maps started, I couldn't make doors right, my texture aligning was non-existant! Then thru Dr. Sleep I found DETH and I used it along with Zennode to build my maps. DETH was the longest I have ever used a single editor up until Deepsea. I continued to stay with the DETH format of editors when ZDoom came out and went with ZETH. I then experimented with the shareware of Deepsea and liked the feel and the interface and so I paid my hard earned cash and registered the thing and away went the size limit. Very nice, and I've stayed with it since. I utilize DeepBSP for most of my node and reject building but I also use the latest version of Zennode for the same purpose. I've looked at DoomBuilder and like the look and see it's an up and coming editor, and after reading the forums on DoomBuilder along with the bug reports I'm staying with Deepsea. As with DoomBuilder, Deepsea continues to improve and for me everything is right at my fingertips. If DoomBuilder suits your needs then more power to you, have fun making some great maps!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Ichor said:

I like using DCK 3.62. It only works in DOS mode, but the limits are a lot higher. There is no limit on the size of the map that I have found, though.

All Hail DCK!

I myself use WadAuthor for all me editing things ... except for texture aligning, which I use doombuilder for. Nice 3D mode.

I started out with doomcad, progressed through deth and now on to doom builder. Doom builder is a fantastic editor which has 99% of all features I want (plus a ton I dont want, like the 3d mode). It isn't perfect though, especially in the automated y-alignment depertment. I'd just love to have a feature that y-aligns every sidedef connected with a specific texture as (256 - facing sector's ceiling height) or something similar. That would save me around an hour per map made.

DB could use a polygon prefab feature akin to Deepsea, I know the "force circular segment" feature in DB can turn a square into a circle, and with a little bit of clever manipulation with the vertices, I could turn the circle into a pentagon or hexagon. The circle created with the force circular segment is convincing enough, but upon close inspection, it's not a logically perfect circle--especially near the four vertices that constituted the square shape, therefore the pentagram created from the circle may not be logically perfect. When it comes creating large pentagrams, circular pools, and domes, I'd switch over to Deepsea.

Fredrik said:

I distinctly recall someone releasing a WadC level at some point.

And a bunch of toy maps have been made with it, of course. For example that sphere test level. It'd be fun to see it with slopes today.

Actualy it was aard who made that map aswell. and he did make a zdoom version of it aswell using slopes.

Erik said:

I'd just love to have a feature that y-aligns every sidedef connected with a specific texture as (256 - facing sector's ceiling height) or something similar. That would save me around an hour per map made.

I hacked that into doom builder today when i was bored, though i don't know why you wanted everything to align to 256, so i used whatever ceiling height and y alignment the line to base the alignment from has instead. You know where to get hold of me if you want it.

Doom Marine said:

DB could use a polygon prefab feature akin to Deepsea.

It already has this, press ctrl-insert in sectors or lines mode, but note that the label is wrong, the value by diameter is really radius, and make sure to uncheck "snap vertices to grid" if you want a perfect circle.

Anders said:

It already has this, press ctrl-insert in sectors or lines mode, but note that the label is wrong, the value by diameter is really radius, and make sure to uncheck "snap vertices to grid" if you want a perfect circle.

Not really the same though. DB is like WA. DeePsea's various prefabs are interactive with placement, snap/snap and sizing WYSIWYG before committing.

CodeImp said:

Perfect circle. Make it as detailed as you like, but note that more segments load the CPU more.

Nice, that technique shown above appeared to have worked better than the one I used: 1) create square 2) curve linedef 3) force circular segment / delta angle 90. The circle I just made using your 2-segment demonstration has almost equal line segments with an error margin of one unit. Due to Doom's one-unit estimation, it's very hard to have a perfect circle.

I know that DB can generate polygons, but I still use deepsea to create pentagrams, since I can conveniently create stars (intersecting lines).

Anders said:

You use ctrl insert? I do shift-right-click in linedef mode :P

CodeImp said:

Perfect circle. Make it as detailed as you like, but note that more segments load the CPU more.

WTF, don't tell me that the author of the program makes circular sectors through some weird method that's several times more complex than a feature he coded himself?

Thats about the only WA-alike feature in DB. But I dont like to work that way, I prefer to draw instead of inserting.

I started with Waded 1.23 early in 1996, it sucked. But then came DoomCad 5.1 in 1996 on a 486 and Win 3.11WG and I started to make new levels from scratch. DoomCAD has a good basic tutorial but crashed alot in Win 3.11. In Win95 DoomCAD was much more stable and plus BSP 1.2X which I always used. And then came the much better DoomCAD 6.1 which I have made a majority of my levels with on various operating systems, Win95/98. Now I use Doom Builder v1.64 and its so much faster, and my levels have now been so much bigger and better for example.