Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

The /newstuff Chronicles #162

ukiro said:

Endgame map07. Best. Level. Ever.

thanks :) ,it worked out well if a little easy on UV. Hopefully the next will keep up the standard..

Here's my opinion on the levels I've downloaded so far ..

blitz.wad : Definately oldskool, with alot of different themes. The gameplay is pretty good, and the texturing is OK for the time it was made. Some areas need more light variation though (255 light = baaaad)

endgame.wad : Very good, nice high quality levels. The first 2 are pretty easy, after that it starts to get a little more difficult. By map 8 it's pretty nuts. Definately a must-download.

AnE1M3Level.wad : Pretty fun, nothing really challenging though. Having to climb up the box areas multiple times is annoying :/ And I got stuck at the part where you shoot the switch on the yellow key platform. It's not really that obvious ..

mitnal.wad : This was OK till I got to a certian area and my frame rate dropped like a rock. I couldn't even manuever well and died miserably. Boo.

hr2final.wad : AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

i checked out the original 'insanity' in the archives, and it appears (from the coherent text file) to be made by a totally different, more level-headed person entirely than the creator of the 'amazing sequel'. does anyone know what this is all about?

Playing through engame. Seems ok so far, though nothing special. Map 1 was nice, but I think I prefer the original release as classic10 (or 11 or whatever). Wasn't so keen on Map 2. Map 3 I didn't like to begin with, but it got better. Now it's just confusing the fuck out of me. How the hell do you get the yellow key? I'm even looking in an editor and can't see what to do . It looks like I need to find a switch to lower some bars (sector 434), but the only way I can see that those bars lower is by a walking line... which is on the other side of the bloomin' bars. And I see no way of getting to the other side.

Edit: Ok I've just worked it out. That was retarded.

pregnant with worms said:

i checked out the original 'insanity' in the archives, and it appears (from the coherent text file) to be made by a totally different, more level-headed person entirely than the creator of the 'amazing sequel'. does anyone know what this is all about?

There have been several wads with the word "Insanity" in their name, which may or may not be related in any way. (There's also this, which definitely isn't related.) Which one did you mean?

Brad_tilf said:

I quoted the wrong guy. I do that on these forums sometimes cuz the colors are so dark it's hard to tell which poster I'm quoting.

Dark??! I haven't heard anyone make that claim before. Anyway, why not increase your brightness (or adjust your browser settings), and go back and edit your post?

fucking hell.. screenshots should be fixed now, some of the filenames ended up in uppercase due to some DOS/unix bitchiness

bash$ mv _ABCHAPL.JPG _abchapl.jpg
bash$ mv _BLITZ.JPG _blitz.jpg
bash$ mv _CMPND13.JPG _cmpnd13.jpg
bash$ mv _DOOM-X1.JPG _doom-x1.jpg
bash$ mv _DOOM-X2.JPG _doom-x2.jpg
bash$ mv _E1M3LVL.JPG _e1m3lvl.jpg
bash$ mv _HELKEEP.JPG _helkeep.jpg
bash$ mv _LAS2003.JPG _las2003.jpg
bash$

All the levels claimed bad are good. All levels claimed good are awful. The reviews all suck. You are all wrong. YABT. HAND.

Grazza said:

There have been several wads with the word "Insanity" in their name, which may or may not be related in any way. (There's also this, which definitely isn't related.) Which one did you mean?

i was referring to insanity.wad, since the 'sequel' is insanity2.wad. also, it's the only one with the title 'INSANITY', and this new one is the 'AMAZING SEQUEL TO THE SPACE SPECTACULAR INSANITY'. sorry i wasn't more clear.

the problem is that, having now played both, the connection is non-existent. (also, the 'INSANITY' text file states that it replaces maps 6-12, but in reality, it only replaces map01.)

The Flange Peddler said:

How the hell do you get the yellow key? I'm even looking in an editor and can't see what to do . It looks like I need to find a switch to lower some bars (sector 434), but the only way I can see that those bars lower is by a walking line... which is on the other side of the bloomin' bars. And I see no way of getting to the other side.

Even looking at an editor, I can't seem to find a way up there without cheating. Those platforms outside will only raise by hitting a switch that's on the other side. Then I saw a teleport exit and figured that this is the way in. Nope. That's for a couple of Hell Knights.

Ichor said:

Those platforms outside will only raise by hitting a switch that's on the other side.

That's the switch you have to press. If you walk onto the platforms and look round you can just hit that switch. Very daft, annoying and totally unnecesary. No reason for the switch not to be just in a normal visible position.

Having played a few more levels it's definatetly grown on me as a whole. Maps 4 and 5 have both been very good, and I've liked Map 6 so far.

It would have been much better if those platforms had risen once you picked up the blue key.

Yeah. I think that's what annoyed me the most about that map. I kept getting a bit lost. When I finally got the blue key I thought I'd be able to make some further progress, but the only reward I got was a stinking backpack in that nukage pit area. And then when I finally figured out that daft switch...

Grazza said:

I think this is what you're looking for.

thank you. now i can sleep well at night.

Also, once the platforms are up you could just run across to the plasma gun (at least in ZDoom) without needing the yellow key.

udderdude said:

And I got stuck at the part where you shoot the switch on the yellow key platform. It's not really that obvious ..

Hehe... yeah... I was actually meaning to change that... but decided to let it go. :-/

Mitnal is certainly not Doom2 compatible, it crashes immediately... i.e., it's not in /Ports in vain. Compond 13 runs okay under Doom, though. AnE1M1Level has some issue too, and probably requires a source mod of one kind or another (some numlumps error.)

I recall Blitz from my early playing days; doesn't seem as difficult as it did back then, but fun nonetheless.

Endgame seems kickass from what I've seen up to now.

Grazza said:

Fredrik: you suck at trolling.

I guess this proves subtlety is still the best way.

I'm so glad it wasn't Deathz0r's week. My WAD would probably have been bashed for its ripped resources and not even given a passing mention to that original stuff that I made. (Just like the last version.)

Brad_tilf said:

So, you enjoy maps where everything is well lit so that there is no atmosphere and you have the opportunity to get the lay of the land before you move your feet? Hmmm - sounds like fun. Not. Do you think I named it after the Aztec 9th level of hell for nothing?

By the way - to the reviewer. I never considered speedrunning to the yellow key - simply jumping, using the mouse to propel forward. Interesting approach though. ;-)

Uh.. What? Did you quote me on accident or something?

I was working on an insanity wad once, it was set in the final fantasy universe, had MSpaint graphics (for some of the enemies anyway, another was from duke nukem, a robot from strife and a 'tank' i made in a 3D modeller), 7.5 levels which got gradually worse as i lost inspiration (though there was a cool mountain base/prison/dam one), and some pretty odd sounds heh..it got deleted by accident when i moved my files over to my new computer though..

ukiro said:

Endgame map07. Best. Level. Ever.

Really, I mean it. This is the perfect DOOM map. It's what I've secretly wanted to do for many, many years. Now I won't have to because Lee did it :-)

I had the pleasure of playing it in the beta stage and now it's even more amazing. Those light effects are stunning, I have no idea how that was done. I'll need to install an editor again... And the layout! Sooo beautifully done. Look and learn, kids. This is the best there is.

wow... I've seen/heard a lot of compliments in my life, but I think I'll never see one like that again.
"You have broken what could not be broken."

Opulent said:

wow... I've seen/heard a lot of compliments in my life, but I think I'll never see one like that again.
"You have broken what could not be broken."

But it's true! It's just so... pure. perfect. the scale, the lighting, the flow, the texture theme, everything about it is 10/10.

Those light effects are stunning, I have no idea how that was done.

What the hell? HR2 has similar lighting effects, but because they're subtle no one notices? All those years I spent working on little details ignored. ARGH!!! :-)

Check out the exit room in MAP01, the hallways in MAP08, the waterfall halls in MAP25 and several others.

There's one problem with these effects, though: they often interfere with monster movement. The halls in HR2-08 are a prime example.

Andy Olivera said:

Check out the exit room in MAP01, the hallways in MAP08, the waterfall halls in MAP25 and several others.

I checked map01, and thats not the same thing! look at endgame map07 how the light only goes half-way up a wall. Thats the stuff I mean.

Andy Olivera said:

There's one problem with these effects, though: they often interfere with monster movement. The halls in HR2-08 are a prime example.

Yeah we had some of that in darkening episode 2 too... bright ceiling lights that don't light up the floor, etc.

A few places in RTC-3057 (see here) use the same kind of effect as Ukiro's talking about, but of course we have all kinds of fancy ZDoom feature to help us. So it's pretty impressive someone managed to pull it off in the original .exe :)

udderdude said:

When I made the map someone in #zdoom had requested a Hexen map with straight action and alot of killing, so that's what I made :O

Actually, that was me. I recall saying something about it, and lo and behold, you actually did it :) Cool beans, I'll play it pretty soon, after I'm through with Endgame :)

I checked map01, and thats not the same thing! look at endgame map07 how the light only goes half-way up a wall. Thats the stuff I mean.

It's done with the same tricks, though. They just added a one pixel indented sector in the wall. I did a stairstepping effect in HR2-24 which is basically the same thing(except the sectors protrude from the wall; indenting would've been better, now that I think about it), though it doesn't require any twisted sector references and it's not very practical because it takes so many lines.

Andy Olivera said:

It's done with the same tricks, though. They just added a one pixel indented sector in the wall. I did a stairstepping effect in HR2-24 which is basically the same thing(except the sectors protrude from the wall; indenting would've been better, now that I think about it), though it doesn't require any twisted sector references and it's not very practical because it takes so many lines.

Yeah I've checked out Lee's map in an editor now, so I know how it's done. WHen I looked at it in-game I specifically checked to see if it was done with a very thin sector, but I probably didn't look hard enough because I didn't see it. So I was thinking it was a single line on top of another one with some crazy dummy sector stuff going on, but luckily it wasn't that complex :) The effect was very very nicely executed in Lee's map, adding to that vast array of 10/10 gradings from me :)