Length     Date   Time    Name
 --------    ----   ----    ----
     1818  01-04-04 02:52   fanatic_caged.txt
    11532  01-04-04 01:28   fanatic_caged.cgz
  2215688  01-04-04 02:35   fanatic_caged.mp3
       30  01-04-04 02:42   fanatic_caged.cfg
 --------                   -------
  2229068                   4 files

Great. Aard compresses the map files so they're incredibly small, but then people add 2mb MP3's to them. Kinda defeats the purpose.

exile said:

Great. Aard compresses the map files so they're incredibly small, but then people add 2mb MP3's to them. Kinda defeats the purpose.

word.

Fanatic said:

Defeats the purpose? I didn't add my music to spite Aard's file size, dorks. :P

You could split it up in two zips at least :P

Guys, it's 2 f'ing megs! Unless you're on a 33.6 modem, what's the big deal?? And if you are on a 33.6 modem, you should be used to everything taking eons to download.

Shesh!

Downloading isn't the problem, finding room for it is. :P But it's not your fault. My computer just sucks.

Fredrik - what do you mean?

Aard provides a free 3d gaming engine to make maps in. *he* provided the ability for the engine to play MP3s.

I made two levels with MP3s I created for his engine.

You should complain to Aard, not me. If Aard was as worried about file size as you dorks, he would have made MP3s not play in his engine.

It's shit like this that made me stop making crap for DOOM. You guys ripped on me for QDOOM for stupid crap, and everything else I made. I appreciate the dozen of talented nice people around here that gave good feedback, but jesus christ. You guys (mostly) just suck.

Fredrik said:

It's a matter of principles.

What I don't understand is the level of disdain for maps that are so big. Though I don't understand the need to include a clunky MP3 in the zip, there's no point in chastising someone for doing so. In these days when cable connections and 80 gig harddrives are a standard, what is the big deal?

Fanatic said:

Fredrik - what do you mean?

Providing a separate download when most of the download consists of something people aren't primarily interested in (with no offense directed at your music-making skills).

It's shit like this that made me stop making crap for DOOM.

Could you have a sense of humor/sarcasm/self-distance?

Job said:

Though I don't understand the need to include a clunky MP3 in the zip, there's no point in chastising someone for doing so.

I don't think I have "chastised" anyone in this thread.

"Could you have a sense of humor/sarcasm/self-distance?"

Um, you have NO idea what kind of shit I got for my work for DOOM. I have a good sense of humor, but when people bash you constantly for something you spent 3 years on for a single project, you lose the ability to laugh it off.

Hey, can you explain to me how this Cube stuff works? That is, is it like JDoom with models for example?

Job said:

Hey, can you explain to me how this Cube stuff works? That is, is it like JDoom with models for example?

Cube is an stand-alone engine/game. it does not have anything to do with Doom. Just download it, run it, have fun :)

Fanatic said:

Um, you have NO idea what kind of shit I got for my work for DOOM.

from within the DOOM community?

Fanatic said:

Um, you have NO idea what kind of shit I got for my work for DOOM. I have a good sense of humor, but when people bash you constantly for something you spent 3 years on for a single project, you lose the ability to laugh it off.

Did you get shit for doing work for DOOM? No. Did you get shit for doing something people weren't able to appreciate? Yes, sadly and unfairly so. But I think you're overreacting - people here aren't complaining about your work anyway (and in this case you could've fixed the problem by uploading another zip as soon as it was suggested :)

Anyway, for the map, I quite liked it. Texture usage was good, much better than the usual mishmash seen in Cube maps. Geometry was highly impressive, especially the job with the rocky areas.

I really like the map. Good looking texture usage and nice architecture and the mp3 rocks! /me cranks mp3 while editing Doom. ;)

Fanatic said:

Szymanski: Shit yes, especially from the DOOM "community".

Fanatic, don't let it get to you, man.

By the way, I listened to your CD the other day. It still kicks ass. :)

What's the point of having MP3 support if you're not going to take advantage of it!??

Now THAT defeats the purpose!

Tolwyn said:

What's the point of having MP3 support if you're not going to take advantage of it!??

Now THAT defeats the purpose!

Agreed 100%

It seems to me if a game has incredibly tiny level data, that's all the more excuse to include large resources!

I suggest you stop complaining and go take a look at typical sizes for single levels for games like Quake 3 and UT2003 - it's far more than 2mb.

I currently have several single-level add-ons for Thief 2 sitting on my hard-disk that are over 20mb.

NiGHTMARE said:

I currently have several single-level add-ons for Thief 2 sitting on my hard-disk that are over 20mb.

Yeah. And wait for RTC to be released... now that'll be a huge download!

Screw the level!
I downloaded this thing for the MP3. ;)
I don't even know what CUBE IS!!