Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

My first (crappy) fan art

I thought it was time I actually drew something besides textures and sprites, so here it is.

It's pretty darned ugly, but considering it's the first ever "proper" drawing i've ever made in a paint program, I guess it could have been a lot worse ;)

Oh yeah, it's inspired by a hi-res titlepic someone (I have no idea who) made.

BTW yes I'm aware the head is too small and the eyes look totally bizarre =P

Ok, so it's not great, but it could be a lot worse. The thing that bothers me the most about it is that the Baron's hand on Doomguy's arm seems kind of off somehow. Instead of seeming threatening, it almost looks like a loving caress.

I guess it's a start and clearly you didn't knock this up in five minutes, so i'll give you praise for that. :) Besides at least people are looking at your stuff. People barely even bat an eyelid at my art.

My general pointers.

.Usually when i draw big pics like a doomguy i sketch the figure, always with shapes and lines in my case. In the case of mspaint art or computer you can't exactly sketch the same way as you could with a pencil but you could construct the figure with dots and some lines (coordinates so to speak) that you could go over once you're happy with how the figure is progressing.
.If you're drawing something with a certain amount of action involved then you definately need to make it look tense. I suppose a flaw within tht pic, as draconio said is that the baron's grip doesn't look tense enough. You should perhaps make it a bit more square or spiky, or something that makes the picture look more dynamic.

Having said that if you don't wanna continue this stuff or have "heard it all before" then ignore the pointers.

TSTuke said:

I guess it's a start and clearly you didn't knock this up in five minutes, so i'll give you praise for that. :) Besides at least people are looking at your stuff. People barely even bat an eyelid at my art.

I think it's a matter of the topic heading.

People are so used to seeing topics like "My artwork" and "My Doomguy sketch" etc.
But in this case, Nick wrote "My first (crappy) fan art", which could capture people's attention. They'll check it out to see how bad it is.

At least art gains more attention than fics - with fics you have to have the patience to read through several long paragraphs of text (not something everyone feels inclined to do, unless the author has an excellent track record - like Wildman). As a result, very few people check out, let alone comment on, fiction - hardly surprising.

To that I say: doing any kind of fan art, whether writing, comics, pictures or models, should always be something you only do for your own pleasure. If you feel like sharing, you share it.

As for the pic at hand: indeed the Baron's grasp looks "romantic" (OMG BARONSE!!!) - you should try and bend the fingers around the doomguy's arm. Make it so that the thumb is clearly beneath the arm, while the other fingers are clearly above. Dunno if that'll help you any.
Apart from that, you captured the Doom titlepic nicely I think.

Na, it wasn't drawn either in Paint or with markers, it was actually done in Paintshop Pro. I used dots for the shading because I wanted to do something a little different than the norm :)

Anyway thanks for the comments guys, yeah I see what you mean about the Baron's arm. Hands and arms have always been my biggest weakness when it comes to drawing on paper, and it looks like that transferred over to computer too ;)

Draconio said:

Instead of seeming threatening, it almost looks like a loving caress.

baronse.