Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutrov71

Will you see enemy damage in Doom 3?

If you should an enemy in it's leg will you see a big gap in it's leg or something? Just wanna know.

Well, wound decals are pasted onto the models, but I don't think we can expect mesh deformation Carmageddon2-style.

Shooting an enemy or wall will leave gunshot wounds/marks, and of course there will be loads of nice blood spraying anywhere. But no Soldier of Fortune-style gore system.

Lord FlatHead said:

Shooting an enemy or wall will leave gunshot wounds/marks, and of course there will be loads of nice blood spraying anywhere. But no Soldier of Fortune-style gore system.

Wasn't that just predefined snap-off points? I seem to remember seeing exactly the same damage on the model more than once.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Wasn't that just predefined snap-off points? I seem to remember seeing exactly the same damage on the model more than once.

In Doom 3? If you saw that, it's probably just used for gibs, not blowing off a leg or something.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

No, in the alpha you clearly see bullet wounds appear exactly where you shot at, if that's what you mean.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Well, wound decals are pasted onto the models, but I don't think we can expect mesh deformation Carmageddon2-style.

I hope they stick to the way the alpha leaves blood marks and the way the blood sprayed and stuck to walls behind them, that impressed me... i mean i dont wanna shoot a monster in the foot and the texture changes to a mass bloody mess.

I seriously doubt we are going to see multi-layer models, there is a slim possiblity, but as of right now it doesn't seem that practical nor that big of an issue to the game as a whole.

To actually answer the other bloke's question, in SOF yes, it was just predetermined snap-off points, in SOF2 it was predetermined snap off points with the correct power of weapon, but it also had wound decals which appeared where the bullets connected. Doom 3 will probably have lots of snap-off points, but they wont be as gorily extreme as sof, and also it will have wound decals which appear where bullets connect (one movie had a demon coming out of a wall, and it was being hit by the pistol, which left bullet holes in it)

deathbringer said:

To actually answer the other bloke's question, in SOF yes, it was just predetermined snap-off points, in SOF2 it was predetermined snap off points with the correct power of weapon, but it also had wound decals which appeared where the bullets connected. Doom 3 will probably have lots of snap-off points, but they wont be as gorily extreme as sof, and also it will have wound decals which appear where bullets connect (one movie had a demon coming out of a wall, and it was being hit by the pistol, which left bullet holes in it)

Thanks for answering my question.

I would like to see a pinky with it's head gone from an explosiont, but i will probibly be more like a Half life(y) type of wound, just hole in one area.

I think it would be cool that if you shot a monster with a rocket launcher it would take a chunk out of him. When you think about it, it wouldn't be that difficult to achieve. Red faction has the deformable terrain, and that kind of thing could be applied to enemy models. Set the first layer of the chunk gap to have a bloody/skin texture, while the rest would be a bloody/inside guts texture.

I liked the fact you could shoot the monsters and see the bullet wounds though.

KoRn said:

When you think about it, it wouldn't be that difficult to achieve.

When I think about, it does sound difficult to achieve. And even more difficult to achieve in a convincing manner.

Yeah i bet the collision detection would be a nightmare, youd get enemies stuck on polygons and all sorts, plus the models will need their polys increased for it to look any good.