Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Let's see some proper Doom style gibs, huh?

Provided that Doom 3 will have gibs (which I'm absolutely sure it will have), I'd like to see them done in a different style than your typical Quake game - I'm tired of those strange, round flesh balls flying all over the place.
I'd like to see the skin tear apart, revealing the bloodied ripcage and basically see the limbs disslove into flesh just like it did in the old Doom, because that just looks so much more "in-your-face" than the odd meat chunks flying everywhere like in Quake.

Basically, I want to see a proper gib animation where you see a body dissolve into bloody meat and bones, instead of just seeing the body disappear and bloodied meat "balls" appear out of thin air and then fly everywhere.

Can you follow me so far?
If no, then please write a complaint in seven copies :-P

I'd like this too, except it's probably quite hard to do in newer games. Because if you hit something with a rocket, it should usually get thrown back by the impact right? Well, if you have a predefined gib animation this breaks the realism of the model's movement since all the pieces move with the main model even if they are not visibly attached to any part of it (the effect in Doom).

I suppose better animations could be done with real-time mesh deformation like in Carmageddon2, but I think this would be hard to implement with complex, fully bumpmapped models.

I liked the gibs (especially ludicrous gibs) from ROTT, but I guess that seems too similar to what you're saying, so how about the gibs from Blood? The bodies still fall to the ground and have three or four types of death sequences (normal, extreme, fiery, and voodoo for the zombies). However, for the more violent deaths, blood and body parts spew out everywhere. For instance, if you hit a gargoyle with the napalm launcher, you can usually see its wings fly away from the rest of the body. I'm sure this would be easy to do in Doom 3.

Ichor said:

I liked the gibs (especially ludicrous gibs) from ROTT, but I guess that seems too similar to what you're saying, so how about the gibs from Blood? The bodies still fall to the ground and have three or four types of death sequences (normal, extreme, fiery, and voodoo for the zombies). However, for the more violent deaths, blood and body parts spew out everywhere. For instance, if you hit a gargoyle with the napalm launcher, you can usually see its wings fly away from the rest of the body. I'm sure this would be easy to do in Doom 3.

Yeah, a combination of the two would probably be the most appropriate solution.

Do you think they would/could implement per-poly-hit gibbing? Because if you took a sawed off close range at a limb, just that part of the limb and down would be gibbed. Not the whole leg or just from the joint down. That would be awesome but somehow I doubt it. In the HL leak, when you gib the zombies, they only gib in half no matter where the rocket was aimed, and that kind of defeats to point imo.

dsm said:

Basically, I want to see a proper gib animation where you see a body dissolve into bloody meat and bones, instead of just seeing the body disappear and bloodied meat "balls" appear out of thin air and then fly everywhere.

That would be quite a lot of modelling work because every monster would need it´s own gibs and animations. But why not.

But I would´t like it when it would look too realistic, that would be disgusting somehow (I hate SoF). It should stick to the overdone "splatter" style of gibbing, which could look better then Q3´s meat chunks but still not dead serious realistic.

With the ragdoll-physics engine, I'd actually preferr no gibs, at least not ones that involve major loss of body parts. Maybe skin being stripped from the bone, but that's it. I take so much more delight in making enemies flop around than just blowing them apart.

I'm not saying I like the 1st quake gibs,(GORE CHUNKS) but I do really miss the particle geysher fountain "BLOOD" arches that happen when you land a good solid blow against a bad guy with the rocket launcher. It depends on if you in a inclosed area the gore chunks would kinda bounce around and the blood arches would be kinda small, but if you cream someone in a wide open area with real high ceilings, the bld arches would arch sky high in spectacular fashion. I miss that. I was hoping that id would use Duke Nukem's gore techniques, anybody remember when you shoot a monster standing close to a wall, blood would splash against the wall and would run-down(leak)the wall in thin red lines........DAMN!, that was cool. I don't think no other shooter out there ever copied that. So I would like to see a mix of quake1 "blood arches" mixed with D.Nukem's "wall splashes" with D3 newest blood style(*remember the bathroom floor scene)And I would say id's pretty SET.

But now for the body parts, Hmmmm this is hard, cuz I really havn't seen any shooters out there that showed gory body parts the way I'd like to imagine. maybe id should rent a large shit-load of "FACES of DEATH" DVD's and check out some of the gory violence in war-torn foriegn countries for INSPERATION.

That's what I would've done.....

Tsar,

Scabbed Angel said:

I thought SoF didnt have any gibbing. Huh.

I was talking about SoF2´s realistic body mutilation or however they call it.

@ tsareppsun: Faces of Death... this is a game for gods sake and not some kind of sick perverted violence simulator in 3D.

SoF had gibbing, SoF 2 didnt, you hit someone with a grenade or rocket in that and they'd get thrown back and killed but be 'undamaged' otherwise

You know, there's nothing lamer than hitting somebody with a rocket launcher and having them just fall over. Then again, in Battlefield 1942 there were some amusing moments involving tanks and people being blasted really high up into the air...

I think SoF-style gore would be good. Death and dismemberment - enemies should positively fall apart when they're hit with a rocket.

If I remember correctly... I think the gore in Turok 2 was a little more extreme than in SoF. Then again, in SoF you were killing humans, so I can see how it would get more attention...

I'd jizz if I saw the mancubus death animation in 3d (strange fetish, eh?). Definately a good idea, however I dunno how badly that could effect polycounts, you know, bones ripping through skin and such... ah well.

In any case, you have to admit the way-too-oversized quake1 gibhead was comedy gold. :P

Are you guys talking about deaths or just damage?
It would be a bastard if Doom3 creatures just collapsed instead of having their own individual deaths. What's wrong with it being too realistic? How can it be too realistic?

Coopersville said:

With the ragdoll-physics engine, I'd actually preferr no gibs, at least not ones that involve major loss of body parts. Maybe skin being stripped from the bone, but that's it. I take so much more delight in making enemies flop around than just blowing them apart.

I agree, though, some gibbing would be entertaining????? right?

Yeah, i don't really care for the gibs either, i like the enemy falling to my feet, so i can get a good look at it and see the artists great work. But ideally for me would be a gib similair to doom 1's animation when the rocket hits a target perfectly, they just go splat in a bloody pulp, non of this limb loss rubbish. (No offence, sounds good, but rag doll physics is good enough for me, concentrate more on getting the AI and Performance).

Plus id like to see the enemie literally disintergrate or be completely vapourised when the BFG hits... maybe a black mark where the monster was standing... but thats just me :D

The deathmatch demo at Quakecon had a really interesting death animation - the bodies disintegrated completely, leaving only the skeleton which would then fall into a pile of bones before it'd turn into dust.

This leads me to believe that there's room for a superb gibbing animation.

I'd like to see ragdoll physics, combined with SOF II style 'gibbing'. There wasn't really any gibbing in SOF II as far as I can remember, but you could see bloody holes in the bodies. Combine that with the body flying around a room realistically and I'll be happy.

I agree with Lectrix; too much realism will actually cut down on the enjoyment of the game.

Plus, something really dramatic should only be used once - after that the shock impact is gone and it can get to be like eating something you like, say chocolate ice cream, then having to eat more, then more, and then more and then...you get the idea. After a while you never want to see the damn stuff again.