Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I tend to be a very picky son of a bitch when it comes to many things in my life. Oddly enough, one of the things I am the most picky about (Yeah you guessed it! Damn you, how did you ever guess it?! Oh, its the title of this thread... hmmn. . . fancy that) are zombies! I have played many games and watched many movies where zombies are the main course (or their human co-stars *nyuck nyuck har har*) *ahem* so to speak, and find myseld often times disapointed by their demenor. I think the most well done zombies are in the 1990 remake of Night of the living dead, Resident Evil, the game not that wretched piece of shit excuse for a movie, and what has been shown so far of Doom 3. What do you think and why?

NiGHTMARE said:

Why in the name of all that is zombie is Dawn of the Dead not on that list?!?

Hmmn, must have forgotten to add that cause it bored me to tears ; p

Hexen's zombies. They can fly, heheh. I've even modified them so that they can (well, their ghosts anyway) can possess dead monsters (reviving them like the Arch-Vile, but disappearing in the process).

Ichor said:

Hexen's zombies. They can fly, heheh. I've even modified them so that they can (well, their ghosts anyway) can possess dead monsters (reviving them like the Arch-Vile, but disappearing in the process).

That sounds awesome.

Resident Evil's zombies have always scared the shit outta me.

You mean Reavers, Ichor?

Night of the Living Dead. You got to see them sit there and chew on intestines and stuff. Plus, the commentary about them is great.
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up."
"Well, there's no problem. If you have a gun, shoot 'em in the head. That's a sure way to kill 'em. If you don't, get yourself a club or a torch. Beat 'em or burn 'em. They go up pretty easy."
Classic...purely classic.

Quake comes in in a close second, because those things had scary as shit sound effects and that first part where they pop out of the water and shit. When I first played that, I didn't know you had to blow them up with rockets so I kept hitting them with my shotgun and they'd come back. Scary stuff.

The Evil Dead zombies were more like posessed bodies really. Too smart to be zombies, and they didnt even eat brains. That's basicaly what I think the former humans in Doom are.

I lean most towards the RE (game) zombies, namely the ones presented in Resident Evil 3. I like how by at that point in the series, the zombies have multiplied into a sizeable army of the living-dead that have overthrown local defences and are beginning to move out of Raccon city.

My second favourite would be the ones seen in the Evil Dead movies. They show the best of the possessed style zombie, imo. At least until Doom3, anyway.

the_Danarchist said:

...Quake comes in in a close second, because those things had scary as shit sound effects and that first part where they pop out of the water and shit. When I first played that, I didn't know you had to blow them up with rockets so I kept hitting them with my shotgun and they'd come back. Scary stuff.

Yeah, that was pretty awesome in that one underground type place in The Necropolis where you see them for the first time. It's all dark and there's like a torch here or there to illuminate the place, and you hear these "ooooh, aaaaaah" sound effects that always make my skin crawl. Then they see you and start ripping off chunks of their bodies and beaning you in the head with said chunks, and that's when you get mad :)

What, no Return of the living dead zombies?

heh, what am I saying, those were gay.

The original night of the living dead zombies were the best, imho.

day of the dead is the film where savani went totally balls-out with the zombies in terms of effects and make up, so i'll have to choose it. i don't really consider the evil dead characters to be zombies, but they're rad too.

Resident evil zombies were pretty good i thought, 28 days later they just freaked me out cuz they were flippin right the fuck out and shit.

Resident Evil 2 (the game of course, silly) zombies and the Doom 3 ones I suppose.
I don't care how messed up the zombies are, I just like when they shamble towards you, making fucked up sounds. The Res Evil 2 zombies sounded funny, yet were somewhat scary too and they were really nice to blow away.

The Doom 3 zombies make some cool sounds from what I've heard - actually it's too early to tell if they really are on my fave zombies list, because I haven't tried gunning them down, but if the experience is as meaty and satsifying as it looks, then I can definitely put them in as no. one.

Quake comes in in a close second, because those things had scary as shit sound effects and that first part where they pop out of the water and shit. When I first played that, I didn't know you had to blow them up with rockets so I kept hitting them with my shotgun and they'd come back. Scary stuff.

Contrary to you, I laughed my head off when I first heard the Quake zombies. I thought their moans and groans sounded like snoring (but in a particularly funny way). I guess I'm fucked up in my head somehow.

As enemies, they're awesome (their sounds are awesome too, but for me it's because they're funny as Hell). I loved how the only way you could kill them was by gibbing the crap outta them.

pregnant with worms said:

day of the dead is the film where savani went totally balls-out with the zombies in terms of effects and make up, so i'll have to choose it.

Oh Hell yes. I just love the part where the dude gets ripped in half. Fucking awesome.

Dark Fox said:

28 Days Later, only thing that ever made zombie acually scary for me.. Best Zombie movie ever IMO.

That movie really disapointed me. Not only did I find the cinematography hard to follow (the whole grainy thing only worked in Saving Private Ryan imo) but they weren't really even zombies, just people with a disease. I suppose I just think of zombies like dsm, undead and shambling languidly toward you. Nocturne did them pretty well, but most people haven't played that game, so I didn't include it.

Nocturne rocks. I love that game. They were working on a sequel, but I haven't heard anything about it in ages... it was probably cancelled...

Best zombie? I'm very partial to the zombies in the Night of the Living Dead remake (it's my favorite zombie movie of all time), but the way the 'zombies' were done in 28 Days Later (which clearly affected the way they were done in the Dawn of the Dead remake) is probably the most frightening. I would say it's a tie between those two.