Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tolwyn

Tolwyn's DoomBuilder Wish List

Disclaimer:
I didn't want to post this in the Bug Report Thread.
I couldn't find a wish list for DB started.
I just realized the Gherkin visits this forum (hey, I've been busy, cut me some slack).
In a couple weeks I'm sending some PayPal love to him, so, hopefully I won't get too crucified here.

1. 8, 24, and 32 Bit Support for PNG Files
  2. Custom Flats in PWADS between FF_START and FF_END Markers display in 3D Mode and Texture Browser
  3. For each PWAD worked on, DB creats a small data file to remember custom settings and, more importantly, the custom texture PWAD to load for any given PWAD. Option to clear this "cache" in the "Tools" menu at the users' discretion. — Removed/Deprecated. Already possible by creating a new Config file from copy of the master config files and specifying custom PWADS at runtime.
  4. Option to load custom Textures from a FOLDER instead of a PWAD.
  5. Option to load custom Flats from a FOLDER instead of a PWAD (separate (in addition to) from Textures).
  6. Sector Scaling.
  7. Sector Rotation. —Already Possible Sorry.
  8. Find/Search/Replace function for SideDefs (quick Texture Replacement Wizard or something like that).
  9. Lower Selected Sectors by 'n' Wizard (Raise, Raise + Lower Plane by 'n', etc.) — Removed. Already possible via multi-selected sectors and --'n' | ++'n' on plane height adjustments.
  10. Support for PK3 file loading (Doomsday). The PK3 of course contains textures in data\{game}\textures. Flats are preceded by flat-texturename.png (tga, bmp, pcx, etc.).
  11. Quick MAP'n' or ExMy change support for loaded PWAD without having to File--Open the PWAD again. — Already Possible Sorry.
  12. Split Line Wizard/Function. Split into 'n' Lines
  13. Mouse moving to edge of screen scrolls map (instead of arrow keys or as an option in lieu of or in addition to arrow keys.

I'm going to go run and hide now.

Further Disclaimer:

My own stupidity about not seeing a feature already implmeneted may be used against me.

Heheheh.

OMG this sounds demanding. Paypal love or not, i do not work for any of you people and i am not a wishing well. Besides, if I would implend all wishes, I would get a cluttered editor with features that only one guy uses only once ever. Nobody wants that.

1: Sure, if you provide me a library/code which can convert a PNG to BMP or such. The PNG format is so complicated, i dont have to to study that.

2: It does that already. (Just include the PWAD when loading your map)

3: You can set the "texturesfile" definition in a configuration (make your own config?) which will automatically set the additional PWAD when that configuration is chosen. To let DB automatically choose a configuration when you load a WAD file, you can modify the "gamedetect" structures in the configs. (make them empty for all configs and only the right contents for your config will ensure DB chooses your config by default)

4 and 5: Exactly what I meant above. This would just clutter up the editor. If there was a need for this, it would have been all over the Doom Builder topics recently.

6: Yes I can do that.

7: It does that already. (Press R when something is selected)

8: Yes I can do that.

9: There are keys for lowering/raising them by 8 and by 1, is that not enough? (TIP: this is much easier to do in 3D Mode anyway, just aim at a floor and press - and + or SHIFT - or SHIFT +)
EDIT: Oh and I almost forgot: select a few sectors, right-click to edit them, then enter --10 to lower them by 10 or ++10 to raise them by 10, for example.

10: Exactly what I meant above. This would just clutter up the editor. If there was a need for this, it would have been all over the Doom Builder topics recently. (besides, this aint quake :P)

11: It does that already. (Press F2, change it.)

Gherkin, it wasn't meant to be demanding, I promise.

That's why it's called a wishlist.
A self-serving post of mine that pretty much indicates I respect your work immensely, am willing to put money where my mouth is, and maybe just give some ideas if you haven't thought about them.

I assure you I meant no disrespect or anything at all. :(

Sheesh!

Gherkin said:

1: Sure, if you provide me a library/code which can convert a PNG to BMP or such. The PNG format is so complicated, i dont have to to study that.

AFAIK you only need a few function calls to libpng. Otherwise, you could perhaps borrow SDL_Image or part of it.

With regards to number 2 above, I can't get it to even LIST the custom flat in the Ceiling/Floor (FLAT) viewer. :(

Hmmm.

I'm using XWE to add a 64x64 paletted flat between FF_START and FF_END. Is there something else *I* am doing wrong?

OHHHH.
No F_END

After 7 years, I was bound to forget something. Crap.
That goes after FF_END?

Doom Builder does not need an F_END if you have FF_END. It looks for either F_START or FF_START and for either F_END or FF_END and assumes all lumps in between are flats (unless ofcourse when the lump is empty or not square and not a rectangle twice the width of the height or whatever that rules was).

0-Mephisto-0 said:

6, 7, 9 and 11 can already be done with Wadauthor.

K. Whenever I make my WadAuthor wish list, I'll be sure not to include those.

Ok. I see where some of my issues are.

I've been using blank LUMPS between FF_START and FF_END as just references to actual 128x128 flats in an external PK3 file used by Doomsday.

I was hoping that Doombuilder would just display the (blank) Flat Name in the list. I can type it in manually, and it still plays as expected in JDoom.

But in order for Doomsday to really display it, the lump must be a bona fide 4096 64x64 Doom Paletted FLAT.

XWE requires the entry to be Saved As a FLAT as well, not just moved between the FF_* entries. This changes the alignment to 0,0 and does something else to the filesize (entry size or Lump size).

I guess that's one of the reasons why I wished Doombuilder would allow "non Doom legal" FLATS loaded in from a folder, instead of using 64x64 versions of indexed FLAT files in a PWAD. Since those won't actually be "seen" in the JDoom port.

I can still just type in the name manually, since there's no alignment to be done.

My editor is a doom editor. If jDoom guy makes changes to his jDoom engine that conflict with the doom standards, fine, but please dont ask me to do the same.

CodeImp said:

My editor is a doom editor. If jDoom guy makes changes to his jDoom engine that conflict with the doom standards, fine, but please dont ask me to do the same.

Aren't you adding ZDoom support?

Yes, but that doesnt conflict with anything doom does it? Besides, most of these engines have that stuff now, you could say it has been standardized. This Doomsday stuff goes way too far from doom and screws the rules of the flat lumps and whatnot.

No, ZDoom (as well as the other engines derived from ZDoom) supports BOTH Doom and Hexen formats. But both in their original way, nothing changed. Thats very offtopic. What jDoom does here is something else, its putting other data in flat lumps which refers to an external file which it must load instead.

CodeImp, man, you need to relax.

Jdoom handles everything Doom handles and just adds support for PNG, TGA and a few other things. A WAD file simply looks for a LUMP name and Markers in the WAD.

The Editor is mutually exclusive from the engine.

If you choose to make your engine read only WADs that conform STRICTLY to the Doom2.exe 1.9 limits, then that's your choice.

I'm putting in valid lumps in the PWADS. They are valid by name only. And valid by marker. The RESOURCES are called from a folder, if that option is loaded.

I can simply put in "Dummy Flats" while editing. 64x64 PCX or BMP files with the Doom2 palette. It's a fine work around.

When I release it, I just change them to zero-length entries; only so the lump names are there. JDoom will just substitute flat-{name}.png whenever it contains a plane with a FLAT name found in the PWAD between the FF_START and FF_END entries. No big deal.

The editor shouldn't give a care as long as the lump is there; or lump name. I was just wondering why the name wasn't showing up. I use ONE zero-length Patch (between PP_START and PP_END) to build all of my "TEXTURES" listed in the TEXTURE1 Lump. Each duplicated texture has whatever dimensions I set up for it. It doesn't notice or care that the Patch I'm building these "textures" from doesn't really exist outside of a lump name in PNAMES (or a PNAME entry).

Doombuilder shows the NAMES of the textures; even though there really isn't a PATCH/TEXTURE in the PWAD -- just a zero-length lump "marker." Then it calls the actual texture from a PNG file located in \data\jdoom\textures in the JDOOM install (and I can put that in a PK3 file).

I figured that Doombuilder would consistently list the FLATS even though they'd be a zero-length entry like it does textures. No big deal that it doesn't. I can work around it with "placeholder" Doom2.exe 1.9 flats.

This has nothing to do with sourceports.

If your list won't show flats just because they aren't 4096 byte-length LUMPS with the DOOM palette, that's fine. Don't jump down my shit about it.

JDoom supports BOTH the Doom way and the "JDoom" way. How else would you play original Doom and original Doom WADs with it?

CodeImp said:

Yes, but that doesnt conflict with anything doom does it? Besides, most of these engines have that stuff now, you could say it has been standardized. This Doomsday stuff goes way too far from doom and screws the rules of the flat lumps and whatnot.

I completely disagree.

This isn't a sourceport argument, but Zdoom is further away from Vanilla Doom than JDoom ever will be. And that's not a negative thing or a positive thing, it's just a fact.

We're just talking about LUMP recognition and having that lump be an actual "entry" that regular Doom would care about.

I'm just saying that if the LUMP is in the PWAD, then we're good to go.

Doombuilder will show TEXTURE1 entries regardless if there's a patch to make it from in the PWAD.

HOWEVER

Doombuilder will NOT show the FLAT entries unless that LUMP is a real 4096 length Doom Paletted LUMP (PCX/BMP).

The inconsitent behavior, as benign as it is, just confused me for a bit. I made an assumption that Doombuilder is "BLIND" to the original source limits that Doom imposes.

It's no big deal.

Tolwyn said:

Doombuilder will NOT show the FLAT entries unless that LUMP is a real 4096 length Doom Paletted LUMP (PCX/BMP).

If it requires a 64x64 flat it's definitely not good. ZDoom for example allows any size that's a power of 2 squared, I think down to 8x8. So even if DoomBuilder does not choose to display the flat as graphic it should at least list it. Minor issues like this are often the stuff that gives software a bad reputation.

Tolwyn said:

real 4096 length Doom Paletted LUMP (PCX/BMP)

Doom flats are in RAW format. Other graphics don't use PCX or BMP either, they use a customized format.

Graf Zahl said:

If it requires a 64x64 flat it's definitely not good. ZDoom for example allows any size that's a power of 2 squared, I think down to 8x8. So even if DoomBuilder does not choose to display the flat as graphic it should at least list it. Minor issues like this are often the stuff that gives software a bad reputation.

That's my point.
Not that I'm saying it's a bad thing. I was just confused why it wasn't listing it.

I agree with you that it should list the lump at least; if it won't display a non-standard graphic, then fine.

Please. I'm not saying DB is bad at all. I was just curious why the flats weren't being LISTED. I already KNEW it wouldn't display a zero-length lump entry. I mean, what would be there to display?? :)

But I thought it should have at least LISTED the flat.

It's not a big deal, like I said, I can just TYPE in any FLAT name I want, which is FANTASTIC!! I was just confused. Man. This is exploding and I didn't mean for it to.

Yes. Jdoom is the same way. Any power of 2. I do believe that Flats at least have to be square, though. :) 8x8 16x16 64x64 128x128, etc. It'd be great if there was some flag to render 128x128 GRID instead of 64x64. :)

RE: "RAW" format. Right. That must be what XWE is doing to the imported PCX, BMP, GIF, etc. When you place it between FF_START and FF_END and choose "Save As Doom Flat" or something. :)

Fredrik said:

Doom flats are in RAW format. Other graphics don't use PCX or BMP either, they use a customized format.

You're right. WinTex, XWE must do all the converting then, right? That part I'm not too knowledgeable about.