Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tolwyn

XWE Wierdness

I promise I searched for this, but I likely couldn't "word" the search correctly.

For every PWAD I load into XWE, the entry "size" is 0 bytes. So I can't see any Map'n' Entry or ExMy entry.

I get "Map Index Out of Range" error.

There a workaround?
He still supporting this (great!) program?

I'd like to see support for placing 24bit BMPs into PWADs (at user's risk) without it quantizing (indexing) the thing to 8 bit for port support.

The entry size for each lump is 0? Weird... works fine for me.

The author isn't developing XWE anymore, as far as I know.

I use it for quick changes and check ups, but prefer WinTex or DeuTex for more serious work because of a few wad format glitches on XWE.

Tolwyn said:

I'd like to see support for placing 24bit BMPs into PWADs (at user's risk) without it quantizing (indexing) the thing to 8 bit for port support.

What ports are there that support 24bit BMPs? Wouldn't PNG (or even JPEG) be better?

You're right about the BMP file.

I guess I meant I wish you could import 24/32 bit PNG and have it display in XWE, with the ability to create a texture based upon that PNG.

As of right now, you can have it added to the PNAMES list, but you can't create a texture with it!

I have to use a zero-length entry between PP_START and PP_END and make a "fake" texture using that entry (added to PNAMES) and include all of my textures in a virtual folder structure like a PK3 file.

Doing it that way, I have no real reference (without adding 128x128 "guide" textures) when using DoomBuilder for alignment.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there are actually ports that currently support anything other than 8-bit textures inside a wad. Some ports do support textures with more than 256 colours (JDoom?), but they have to be seperate, individual files.

Nah. I can put in a 24bit PNG in a WAD and JDoom handles it fine. ?

It's EASIER to just put it in the texture folder, of course... but it's "technically" possible. IF and ONLY IF you can edit the TEXTURE1 entry to allow the 24 bit PATCH to be used.

I try to manually edit the PID and the other ID field and then SAVE it, but it never works; hence part of the point of the thread (and my DoomBuilder wish list thread).

THAT is the problem I'm talking about. ;)

WAD files are "dumb" files; meaning that they don't "CARE" what we put in them; it's the programs like WinTEX and XWE that may put the limitations on them (and in the past for good reason, of course).

That's why I'd like to see a "PRO Mode (Unsupported)" mode that would allow me to put any filetype I want in there (lump).

Tolwyn said:

For every PWAD I load into XWE, the entry "size" is 0 bytes. So I can't see any Map'n' Entry or ExMy entry.

I get "Map Index Out of Range" error.

I get the same thing but thought it was just my PC or something since no one else ever complained about it. I see I'm not alone.

I get the same thing, and someone said it was something to do with having more up to date drivers than XWE has support for. I also can't edit maps with it like you're supposed to be able to.