Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grimm

Shittiest games of all time

Can't name the absolute worst, but I'll add some games I thought were terrible:

Double Dragon 3: Quite a drop in quality and fairness when compared to the second game. You gotta survive the first two levels on one life or it's an instant game over, and despite having multiple characters, the controls for all were sloppy and it made the game hell. DD2 was quite fun, and DD1 was only okay (the green abobos were just "wtf?" though).

Unreal 2: I'll commend the graphics and art direction with this game but it's only covering for an extremely BORING single player run with very simple missions. There were a lot of interesting places to visit but the action just wasn't there... really felt like little cleanup missions. I would have really perferred a more adventurous approach like the first game.

I'm sure there are other (un)worthy titles that have been blocked from my memory for the time being...

Vile said:

Unreal 2: I'll commend the graphics and art direction with this game but it's only covering for an extremely BORING single player run with very simple missions. There were a lot of interesting places to visit but the action just wasn't there... really felt like little cleanup missions. I would have really perferred a more adventurous approach like the first game.

Agreed, it didnt have an Unreal feel to it, felt kinda like Halo (Halo was good tho).. Just didnt seem dark enough.. and that fact the mission felt short and unoriginal.

I think a total remake of the orginal using the Unreal Warfare engine would be beyond awesome.

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties.

By far the worst example of the worst genre ever invented (i.e. Interactive Movies). One magazine even went as far as to give it a negative score!

Hard to say, I've played a lot of shitty games in my time. Especially for the C64. Try downloading 100 random games from http://www.c64.com (you'll need an emulator as well, get the best at http://www.computerbrains.com) and play or try to play through them all. You'll find 95 of them to be complete crap.

For the PC, a game called "Iron Helix" comes to mind. A friend had it and I played it about a minute before I got so frustrated I turned it off. That has to be some kind of record.

Grazza said:

For some reason I really hated Nitemare 3D. I don't know why though; it wasn't all that bad.

Heh, there are plenty of reasons to resent that games. Sure the graphics are horrible (but kinda cute in Ken's Labyrinth kind of way) but what really blows is the gameplay.

Firstly, the controls suck. Your movements are always kinda jerky, sometimes worse than others and this makes a good aim impossible.

Secondly the authors like to pit you against groups of powerful hitscan enemies while only giving you a weak flying projectile weapon and little cover.

This together with your jerky unresponsive controls makes the game almost unplayable.

Before I got Wolf3d, I had all kinds of games that were rather shitty in comparison to what I play nowadays.

I had a game called "Grand Prix Circuit" - basically a formular one simulator, albeit pretty shitty, and a game called F15 Strike Eagle (I also had the sequel). I stay far away from simulators these days.

I think the only games I've bought since Wolf3d that I've really regretted ever purchasing were Quake 3 Arena and Half Life, but they don't really deserve a "shittiest game" position - they just didn't appeal to me.

Before I even got a PC, I played an assload of games on an ancient Commodore 64 at a friend's house, Some of those games were awesome, some regularly entertaining, and some so incredibly shitty, either because they were criminally boring, or criminally unplayable.

Oh and as far as Unreal 2 goes, I only played the demo and read the review of it on SA. The demo seemed to back up most of what the SA review claimed, although I still think the SA review was an exaggeration (but then I haven't tried the full game - don't plan to either).

Mr. Woot said:

daikatana,without a doubt

Maybe in proportion to the hype. But otherwise, no, not by a long shot.

A lot of people here seem to be unable to understand the difference between "bad" / "disappointing" and "worst ever".

ET has to be the absolute worst game of all time. This game singlehandedly caused Atari's downfall (although some say Pac-Man for the 2600 helped), and is widely regarded as the catalyst for the big video game crash of 1984. It had a short deadline, a budget that wouldn't buy a cup of coffee even back then, and those copies that weren't sold (probably around 80%) were buried in the middle of the desert.

I heard 2600 ET was done in six months, by one man. If this is the case, no wonder it bombed.

I wonder how incompetent or hard up for cash or just looking to cash in on a popular movie one would have to be to ask a programmer (and just one, mind you) to do a game all by himself in just five months, and for such an outstanding movie as ET.

NiGHTMARE said:

A lot of people here seem to be unable to understand the difference between "bad" / "disappointing" and "worst ever".

GASP.

I'll say whatever I want, thanks.

A lot of you are naming really recent mainstream games, like Daikatana. (I heard Heretic and Hexen, but I'll pretend I didn't hear them)
Man, you people haven't even heard of bad.

"Wall Street Kid" for NES
"Archon 3" for Commodore 64
"Heroes of the Lance" for NES
"Power Rangers" for Sega CD
"COPS" A 1994 Arcade Game, which makes me laugh uncontrollably.

Oh, and by the way, I have to concur about ET for Atari. I don't even have to play it, I just heard a few depictions that just sounded excrutiating.
Apparently they had to bury millions of copies of that game into landfill because of all of them that were returned.
The electronic masochist inside me heard that and said "I want to see what the deal is."
I'll get back to you when I do.

Kristian Ronge said:

For the PC, a game called "Iron Helix" comes to mind. A friend had it and I played it about a minute before I got so frustrated I turned it off. That has to be some kind of record.

I have that game. I never understood it, I tried to play it but it confused me like a apple in a bottling plant. Of course I was a lot younger then, but it still boggled me like a game of Operation without the water on the knee.

any games with furry sex, and or people having sex with animals, in it is automaticly the worst game in history.

but others
omikron (buggy)
top gear rally for N64
Top gear rally was a raceing game. you had to complete 4 maps 4 times to get a new map. and with such combos as snowy jungle and raining desert. to unlock all maps you had to play all levels avalible to u in four condition. so it got old. and nintendo needs to lay off crack, i mean "snowy jungle"?

pokemon dildo version (k maybe the first one was good, never played. but come on do we need a version for every color of the fucking spectrum

* Extreme Paintbrawl series. Yes, ALL 567 OF THEM.
* The 3D Battles of WorldRunner, (Square, NES)
* SAR: Search and Rescue (PC bargain bin title, given to me by a friend)
* Valve's STEAM service for Half-Life. Tried to install it today - unstable as heck, and after requesting to download Day of Defeat, said I also needed to download Half-Life DESPITE THE FACT THAT I ALREADY HAVE IT FREAKIN' INSTALLED, a total of 800 megs of download, and then tells me "Your CD Key has entitled you to a free month's subscription of the following games...". WTF?! SUBSCRIPTION?! Screw YOU, Valve!
* NFS: Porsche Unleashed. Just didn't have the same charm as the rest of the series (ie. High Stakes and Hot Pursuit), plus the fact that I don't like Porsche that much to begin with.

Quest 64 was a bad game, but not due to any inherant shittieness; it was just very boring.

Little Faith said:

(reasons to dislike Nitemare 3D)

Thanks for reminding me. I was sure there must have been something wrong with it. :)

Actually, it was the first free game I downloaded from the 'net, just a few hours after getting my first modem, so the feeling of disappointment was probably intensified by that.

Here's a game that's actually worthy of being called the shittiest game of all time! It puts all the other shitty games to shame! Just be happy it was never released in America.

EDIT: Anyone who was too lazy to click the link to find out what the shittiest game of all time was, it was Cosmic Race for the PSX.