Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

Best co-op level ever?

I just realised that while there have been literally millions of best SP and best DM threads, I don't think anyone's ever asked about co-op before.

So what does everyone think is the best co-operative level ever made? It doesn't even have to be one specifically designed for co-op, it could well be one intended primarily for single player that just happens to play awesome in co-op :)

Best co-op level could depend on ur co-op buddy too, if he is good then you'll get a kick out of positioning and coordinated attacks, but if he sucks ass and don't know the level, he'll suck up all the ammo, block your path, and you might as well boot him...
Some co-op levels can accomodate dying and respawning by giving a bountiful surplus of ammo, and some co-op level are meant to balance shit on the edge of a knife and so the teamplay better be perfect.

In terms of rookie co-op: squares.wad, the layout of the level means you're probably in the same room as your buddy all the time, there's enough ammo to kill the level 5 times over, and if you or ur buddy die it takes less than 20 seconds to reload ur weapon and meet up with them again.

In terms of advanced co-op: AV.wad is the way to go, the ammo in co-op is plentiful enough to be fun, all the maps are tweaked with coop entries (doors won't shut ur buddy out), the difficulty is very hard but survivable. It's AV for crying out loud, it's just good.

Kristian Ronge said:

Memento Mori map 23, "Showdown" by Milo Casali.

(I admit I haven't played *that* much co/op)

I love that map with a passion, my favourite Memento Mori map. :D

I'd say Hell Factory for ZDoom, except for the consistency failures, and the fact that some respawn places are strange (right behind a laser grid at some point).

Converted DOOMer said:

In terms of rookie co-op: squares.wad, the layout of the level means you're probably in the same room as your buddy all the time

Really? I would have thought you'd be quite a long way apart, certainly in the early stages. One player uses the route I did in my demos (also here), while the other stays nearer the start and works in the demons+arachnotrons direction.

DC3 Co-op in terms of classic id maps (I edited them for better co-op play)

my favorites are scythe map30 and hr2 map32. if zarcy and i get our zdoom coop wad going i guarantee that'll have some of the best though :)

The Big Open, old wad by Mark Riel.. Pushes even modern port's level size limits.

I'd say they're about the same.. The authors are more or less the same ones. So logically, the second one would be more polished. But OTOH the first one probably has more unique/memorable ideas/levels in it.

I rarely see MM I see a lot of Osris though. The best thing to do on co-ops is taking on Cyber-demons, they're the most fun for me.

tails173 said:

I rarely see MM I see a lot of Osris though. The best thing to do on co-ops is taking on Cyber-demons, they're the most fun for me.

I don't see how. With two people in stepped-timing with single shotguns you could probably have a cyberdemon's pain state active most of the time with him seldom getting a shot off. I like a game where you feel pinned down quite often and have to balance ammo, approach things with proper positioning and timing...

tails173 said:

Haha, I guess I shot enough barrages of rockets at you to see the joy in it. :D
I too love playing with cyberdemons, they are fun. :D Like Revenant Homing missiles. :D

They kill me in one hit because i'm an idot, but I always come back for more!

You want to play co-op?

I'm a HUGE co-op fan, and I've never needed anything else than E1.

I've tried to play the rest of the series under co-op, but things just get too hectic, and you spend half your time trying to find the other guy.