Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaJuice

Doomguy model

Hey ppl. Haven't posted much lately cuz I don't have internet at home right now.
Anyways, here are some progress shots of Doom Guy (or Doomio as I like to call him). You can probably tell what kind of stuff is still missing if you compare it to the Doom box art. Let me know what you think, critiques/comments are welcome.

The shape seems pretty good. He looks like he is made of plastic, but I assume that's because it's not finished.

Is this going to be a JDoom model, or just one to look at?

Just to look at. And I haven't done any textures yet, that's why it looks like plastic.

Proportion wise it looks good, not going to bother saying anything about the lighting and reflectiveness since that's not important right now. You'd probably want to put the textures on before screwing around with that. Hmm, only thing I can think of is making his muscles more obvious under the armor and on his legs, but I'm sure you were probably going to add detail like that later on.

Question: are you going to include the armor damage/rips and wounds the marine has on the box art? Might be asking too much but I think it would look cool.

Also, will you model his face underneath the helmet and make the glass transperent or are you keeping it like that?

I think it's excellent.
Yes, giving him more noticable muscles would be more true to the original sprite, but I've begun to like Doom 3's more believable marine, so I like the way his arms look currently.

I love the way the armour is conjoined at the back - it looks a little boring up front, but not too bad.

What's missing imo?
1. His utility belt. Put some small "boxes" on his belt.
2. leg pockets - the original Doom marine sprite had army pants (without camouflage) and I still think that's the coolest representation of the Doomguy. Also some pockets on his butt would do nicely.
3. Either a plate protecting his belly (you'll notice on the Ultimate Doom box art that the marine in the background has a belly plate), or a torn hole revealing his belly.

But hey, it's your model. You do what you'd prefer the best.

Otherwise keep up the good work. How long did this model take you to do? And while asking questions, how exactly is the modelling process going on - like, how do you do it?

I'm asking because I plan on checking out modelling, and getting some advice in one form or another would greatly help me to get started.

Woa, thx for all the great feedback.

Use3D - hehe, if only supermodels were so easily impressed by my madd 3d skilllz:P

nxn - lighting is indeed pretty vanilla, it gets the job done for now. Not sure yet about battle damage. The thing is, in the animation I'm planning to have more than just one marine, so they can't all have the same damage in the same place, and it would take too much time to make multiple versions. The same thing with the face. I would love to do it, but it would be easier to just make the glass, completely reflective, like an astronauts helmet, so I wouldn't have to deal with modeling the face, texturing it, and animating it.

dsm - thx. The front does look boring right now. I still have to add the little extrusions on the chest plate, and the ribcage looking protrusions on the sides. Utility belt/clip holders are definitly coming. He won't have leg pockets but instead he'll have plasma rifle magazine holders strapped to his legs.
I'm at one of those internet/lan places right now, so I can't go in too deep about the modeling process (plus I still wanna play counter-strike, hehe). I use a method called poly-modeling. In box-modeling you start with a rough shape of the whole model, usually by extruding a box in various places, and then start adding detail locally. With poly-modeling you start right away with the detail by focusing on a small area of the model and going from there. It's a matter of preference. Oh yeah, and this model took about a month at a very lazy pace. Goddamn holidays! Good luck with the modeling, it's very stimulating stuff, and a great outlet for creative people. If you got any more questions just ask away, and I'll try to answer them.

Little Faith - It would take a good measure of optimizing to get the poly-count acceptable for a game engine. Maybe after this project is done, I'll make the models free for download, so people can tinker with them for Jdoom or Doom3 mods or something.

insertwackynamehere - thanks!

DaJuice said:
dsm - thx. The front does look boring right now. I still have to add the little extrusions on the chest plate, and the ribcage looking protrusions on the sides. Utility belt/clip holders are definitly coming. He won't have leg pockets but instead he'll have plasma rifle magazine holders strapped to his legs.

That sounds cool - looking forward to seeing future versions and hope you're gonna post that animation you mentioned.

I'm at one of those internet/lan places right now, so I can't go in too deep about the modeling process (plus I still wanna play counter-strike, hehe). I use a method called poly-modeling. In box-modeling you start with a rough shape of the whole model, usually by extruding a box in various places, and then start adding detail locally. With poly-modeling you start right away with the detail by focusing on a small area of the model and going from there. It's a matter of preference. Oh yeah, and this model took about a month at a very lazy pace. Goddamn holidays! Good luck with the modeling, it's very stimulating stuff, and a great outlet for creative people. If you got any more questions just ask away, and I'll try to answer them.

Thanks for being so forthcoming :-)
I downloaded this free modelling program called Wings3d (it's said to be simple and good - right now I've no doubt that it's simple for a modelling program) and I've briefly looked at some of the basic features - haven't actually tried doing any models yet (other than getting the hang of putting prefabs in there), so I really have no idea of the process yet (I'm a lazy starter you see - takes me forever to get into how a program works), but I have a very big desire to learn some modelling (my long-term goal is to be able to do some quality modelling like yours - but right now I've no idea if I have what it takes).

Right now, starting with box-modelling seems the more appealing option to me - great for getting an overall idea of how the model's basic proportions should be like and whatnot.

If you ever do an animation, start him off holding the shotgun, then have him put it away... then pull out the BFG from nowhere. That's being true. ;)

It looks superb BTW, I was wondering if we'd see anything new after the BoH model, which was quite excellent itself. The constructive criticism for the marine was already given, so I'll back off... not that I had any ideas.

it looks ok. only thing wrong with it is that the arms are a bit short. whats the pc?

I have the same problem deciding weather or not to sculpt doomguys face, on a future project. or to sculpt the glass. I say model the face otherwise he could just as well look like Halo's Master cheif. on the other hand a space marine wouln't have a clear glass cover. As the UV rays would be MUCH stronger in space.

Looks good, the doom guy's a little bit *bigger* from the Ultimate Doom pics, like Rambo with a crue cut. I like the vintage look also, somewhere between the 'Money for Nothing' video and Shrek, I'm sure it'll look awesome textured though. Good luck with it.