Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Draconio

Cannot get Doom Connector to work again

Every time I try to connect to Doom Connector, I get "Could not connect to the server. Our excuses for the inconvenience, please try again later."

I've had this problem in the past. Last time I got it working was right after a fresh reinstall of Windows, but I'm hoping there might be something less drastic I can do to get it working.

Last time I had this problem, I was on my old connection, so it's not a problem inherent in my new connection. My DSL modem is set to have all ports unblocked. My firewall (Kerio Personal) is set to allow Doom Connector through. I've installed the Windows XP service pack and any upgrades the automatic updater has advised me of. I don't have any connection problems with any other software. Doom Connector doesn't crash, it just won't connect. Considering the fact that I have been able to run Doom Connector on this PC directly after a fresh reinstall of Windows, I suspect that something external to Doom Connector is at fault.

Has anybody had a problem similar to this? Does anyone have an idea what may be going wrong, and how I might fix it?

The server is down from what I've heard. It's not your fault. It's also not Ghe.. CodeImp's fault either FYI.

exile said:

The server is down from what I've heard. It's not your fault. It's also not Ghe.. CodeImp's fault either FYI.

Ok, thanks. I had heard some rumours that it was going down, but then I thought they said that it was in fact going to stay up. Last time I had the problem, the server was in fact up so I wasn't sure.

There's no similar program I can use, is there? I mean for actually starting a game using my own settings, not just joining a public server?

The current Doom Connector server (which is the one down right now for some reason) will go permanently down at 1st of March.
As for alternatives, I haven't tried it but IDE might be something (it's stickified in this forum). There's also the ZDaemon only connector. It doesn't have a chat but you can see what users are in a game and connect to it.

Draconio said:

There's no similar program I can use, is there? I mean for actually starting a game using my own settings, not just joining a public server?

Zserver allows you to set your own settings for a server, and if you only want your friends to play on it, you can password it etc.

fodders said:

Zserver allows you to set your own settings for a server, and if you only want your friends to play on it, you can password it etc.

How many people use that (on a regular basis, I mean)?

No idea, think about it, if you password protect it, you would probably set it to not advertise it's presence to master server, so no one sees it, they just give their friends the ip address. :P

netnomad312 said:

Heh, no... my bad, I meant Zserver in general. Basically, is it as good as Doom Connector is (or was, IMO)?

Probably not. Basically Zserver is the server half of ZDaemon, so you can run a ZDaemon server with it. It doesn't have chat or multiple port support like Doom Connector. So you can set up any sort of ZDaemon configuration you want with it, but you couldn't, for instance, start a Legacy game or anything like that.

netnomad312 said:

Heh, no... my bad, I meant Zserver in general. Basically, is it as good as Doom Connector is (or was, IMO)?

imho Zserver is much better, because it lets you _play_ Doom, not only _chat_ :)

DC does let you play. The lobby was muted so that there's less chatting and more playing going on.

Either that or it pissed people off that the lobby was a newbie's "I WUNT TEH DOOM2.WAF!!2" playing ground.

exile said:

Either that or it pissed people off that the lobby was a newbie's "I WUNT TEH DOOM2.WAF!!2" playing ground.

Heh, it's a funny story about those n00bs with bad wads. I have a page up about things that piss me off on DC, and this is among them (as I believe I've discovered the reason why they have bad wads to begin with). But the page isn't exactly public. Tell ya what, I'll PM it to you.

Rellik said:

DC does let you play. The lobby was muted so that there's less chatting and more playing going on.

I'm sorry, but that's bull. This has created problems by cutting off the best way to start games: asking in the lobby. What we have now are two options: create a room and hope someone wants to play, or whisper to ask for a game. The former is rather hit-or-miss, and the latter is nearly impossible now because nearly everyone in the lobby is afk nowadays.

Among other things, it was done because ZDaemon was supposodly "better" because it didn't have a chat-enabled lobby like DC (I was told this by the same person who told Gherk- excuse me, Codeimp this and now regrets it). Ironically, ZDaemon got one two days later (from what I hear, but ZDaemon hates me so I never use it).

fodders said:

Basically Zserver is the server half of ZDaemon, so you can run a ZDaemon server with it.

Yes, now I remember ZServer. I'd simply forgotten about it since I never use ZDaemon. Ack. There goes my hope for a program as good as DC with a chat-enabled lobby. :-/

lol, you people are like women, or just retarded.

When there is chat, you whine "omg now I cannot play because people can chat!" which doesnt make any sense, because you can decide for yourself if you go have a chitchat or hit the Join Game button.

When there is no chat, you whine "omg now I cannot play because I cannot find a game!" which is stupid too, but it does have a point. But the downside of the public chat is, like exile said, people asking these fag questions, then they spam some because the answer is not what they'd like to hear, then a modertor has to kick, which results in more whining from the kid on some forum.

I can make it how you want it, you see that, but you people dont even know what you want. Complaining is sooo easy, but you dont have any better and you cannot think of a solution or you'll be complaining about that too. Bah.

not quite understand your problems.. i start IDE, it shows me a lot of servers (~150) with various PWads and configs, and usually there are players. just join and play. if i want to chat, i use forums/irc/icq..
btw, DC isn't doom engine, it can do nothing without doom ports, only chat

lol @ funnyboy, so now im having a problem? hehe, as if im the one who is whining.
you have a communication problem.

bond said:

imho Zserver is much better, because it lets you _play_ Doom, not only _chat_ :)......
......not quite understand your problems.. i start IDE, it shows me a lot of servers (~150) with various PWads and configs, and usually there are players. just join and play. if i want to chat, i use forums/irc/icq..
btw, DC isn't doom engine, it can do nothing without doom ports, only chat

You moron. It's a frontend for starting netgames with various source ports and also serves to meet up with other doomers. And since the Legacy masterserver has died after a glorious 3 or four days, DC is useful for both Legacy and Jdoom users who want to play online.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

You moron. It's a frontend for starting netgames with various source ports and also serves to meet up with other doomers. And since the Legacy masterserver has died after a glorious 3 or four days, DC is useful for both Legacy and Jdoom users who want to play online.

None of this answers the question of why people cannot get on DC.

CodeImp said:

lol @ funnyboy

ToXiCFLUFF said:

You moron

eh-he-heh.. they teach me )
ok, guys, do what u want

fodders said:

None of this answers the question of why people cannot get on DC.

Absolutely true, but that doesn't answer why many threads go far more off-topic than this, and yet you chose this one to comment about it.

The question was answerred in the first reply, but some people just had to whine about how bad "chat keeps you from playing" and another about how bad "you cannot find opponents without chat" lol. Stfu?

Isn't that what you basically told us as soon as the no-chat thing was implemented, Codeimp? Seems like quite a coincidence that most of us apparantly need to stfu now. ¬_¬

No. The public chat is only disabled in the main lobby, because some assholes like to sit there talk trash and shit. When you kick/ban them, they go trash on someones forum. I dont like that, so I just keep them from doing, so I dont have to ban too many fags. You can still whisper to people and you can still talk in rooms.

They go and trash on someone's forum? I'm not sure if I understand... do you mean they trash the DC forum, or some other forum? I don't see the connection... if someone needs to be banned for talking trash in the lobby, whether or not they go and spam some forum shouldn't make any difference, right? You don't want to ban them because if you do they may trash some forum... that's like saying a person who commits some crime in one city shouldn't be punished for it because then he might do it again in some other city. Or am I missing something?

CodeImp said:

Oh I still ban them, but a stitch in time saves nine ;)

I'm not getting it. Then again, that's probably because I don't know what forum you're referring to...