Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

game developers

How many of you are interested in game development? If you are, what branch of game development are you interested in(e.g. programming, art, etc.)? Have you ever started game projects or made any type of program?

For me, I'm still learning the language, and haven't done any game developing yet, but I'm planning to after learning the language. Probably start off with something easy like a pong clone, tetris, 2d side scroller, then 3d (maybe something like doom?).

I made a checkers game in my java class back in college...but it was buggy as hell

I can do anything and everything, especially if im getting paid for it.

But im best at pointing at something and saying 'HEY DO THAT' or 'HEY DO IT BETTER'

I used to make dinky little games with QBasic, but I don't really have much interest in making my own games anymore. I just stick to editing games that already exist, if anything.

I made about a dozen games for my calculator between 8th grade and sophomore year of high school, when i upgraded to an 86. i work on a game on my 86 every now and then, and if i ever finish it it's going to be pretty badass.

Including the now-revived Metroid TC, I'm doing music for three separate games right now.

Of course, I'm not getting PAID for any of them, but it's still fun!

zeuxworld.com - Home of MegaZeux, rather simple game creation system in text mode that I use to create a few adventure games...technology ain't much, and barely anybody can run it due to motherboard/EMS/WinXP compatibility issues, but it serves as a nice outlet for game design. And whatever you do, if you decide to download this and a few games to check out, stay the heck away from my games.

wildweasel-r3000 said:

zeuxworld.com - Home of MegaZeux, rather simple game creation system in text mode that I use to create a few adventure games...technology ain't much, and barely anybody can run it due to motherboard/EMS/WinXP compatibility issues, but it serves as a nice outlet for game design. And whatever you do, if you decide to download this and a few games to check out, stay the heck away from my games.

Oh man, I remember that and it's predecessor ZZT. They're really pretty good, even if they're old and have simple graphics. I used to mess around with making stuff on them, but I never came up with anything that great, so mostly I played games other folks made on them. As for the compatibility issues, maybe it'll work on DosBox, wouldn't know until I try. Not going to do that right now though, but I think I'll bookmark that site.

Well, I'm in college right now taking CompSci courses for this reason. In high school, I made a text-based fighting game in C++, ported it to QBasic and TI-86 TI-Basic. I've recently been working on a Mega Man clone in VB using nothing but the standard, given controlls (no DirectX or anything. The tiles use Image boxes, heh), and am about 40% complete on that. So I guess I'd like to do programming of some sort. I'm nowhere near all that good so far (hence why I'm doing that MegaMan clone in VB the way I am), but I'm slowly working at it.

And I wouldn't mind making a level or two here and there.

DJ_Haruko said:

I made a text-based fighting game in C++, ported it to QBasic and TI-86 TI-Basic. I've recently been working on a

yay, i'm not the only one making text-based fighting games :) that's always been my main genre to work with, because it's about the best you can do in ti-basic.

I'm definately interested in game development. The kind of stuff I'd like to do for a game company would be character design or game designer. I dunno, something where I can let my imagination loose! :D

Other than modding for Doom and Wolf3D, I've made a few games using some programs like Game Maker and RPG Maker 2k3, but I haven't released any of them yet.

The kind of game I'd like to make is a Metal Slug clone, only it's Cel Shaded and it has Lizards! It would be called Lizard Squad(c)!

I've been interested in game development since I made my first crappy one-room Duke3D level in 1996. Since then I've messed around with 2D graphics, 3D modelling and animation, C/C++ programming and plenty of other things. I've made a few silly test games but lately I've been reading a lot of material, drawing up some things on paper and thinking up a concept for my first 'real' game. It's most likely going to be a mix of old-school gameplay (think Super Metroid) and new graphics techniques, albeit on a very small scale since I don't have a team of artists and designers to back me up.

"Game designer" on RTC-3057.
Worked for a game company (Doom levels).
Doing some maps for (hopefully) Generations Arena.

I've coded the guts for a 2D platform engine, I've done graphics, level design (primarily for Doom), written stories, and composed music. Not sure whether I'd like to do professional game development, possibly if the team was good.

I made a text adventure game once, but it's long ago. The storyline in it was crap.

I'm really good at thinking up awesome ideas for games people should make but never do.

Other than that, mapping is the only thing I'm good at, but I'm too much fo a perfectionist to ever release anything willingly.

I'm programming a top-down 2d space shooter like tyrian, raptor, demon star etc. It's called PANTZ.

Heh, there should be a games development company made entirely of people from the Doom community :)

Oh yeah, I forgot about text adventures. Back before I had a decent pc, I started about a dozen interactive fiction projects, and came close to finishing one or two. Text adventures have always appealed to me because they presented a potentially huge and detailed world in such a very small, simplistic package (I don't think there's any text adventure in existence larger than a megabyte).

Two years ago I fired up Inform again just for the heck of it, and coded up a stupid little game. Here's part of the sample transcript :

>n
Cockpit
Four Arabic men are here, three of them standing and holding onto the low ceiling, and one in the pilot's seat. The three men are joined in prayer, eyes closed, while the pilot is concentrating furiously on his controls and the target in front of him. And what a target it is.

The towers of the World Trade Center look like two giant fingers sticking up from the grey Manhattan area below. Like an absurd quarter-mile tall peace sign it draws ever closer as the airplane zips over the New York City skyline.

>throw coffee at pilot
As if stung by a wasp, the pilot grabs for his neck and falls to the floor as soon as your boiling hot coffee hits him. He tries his best to climb back into the seat but the searing pain is stronger than his determination to finish his deadly mission.

Still, flight 93 is now alarmingly close to the World Trade Center, and it looks like it's on a course straight to the top of building number one.

The three other terrorists open their eyes, confused and unbelieving. You must act before they can reach their cutter knives discarded on the floor.

>take knife
As you reach down, one of the men kicks you in the neck while his two friends jump at the controls. Gasping for air, you put one hand on the former pilot's chest and look up trough the cockpit window. You can just make out a huge shimmering wall, reflecting the airplane in metal and glass, before the plane buries itself into the World Trade Center and writes the first paragraph in a black page of American history.

*** You have died ***

Would you like to RESTART, RESTORE a saved game, QUIT or UNDO your last move ? >undo

Cockpit
[Previous turn undone.]

>take controls
You grasp for the controls and with all your might pull the steering lever to the right. The terrorists grab you by your hair and try to drag you away, but you know your job is done. Your attackers look up trough the window for a brief moment then let go of you, granting you two seconds of rest on the cockpit floor. Everything goes silent, until you can only hear the low drone of the plane and the heavy breathing of Mohammed Atta, doomed to die in pain right next to you. You close your eyes.

Days later, as the New York Port Authority begins to haul up the wreckage of flight 93 from the bottom of the Hudson River, the remains of your body are removed from the crushed cockpit. Experts will later agree that had flight 93 crashed into tower number one as flight 11 crashed in number two, the buildings might have collapsed in a matter of hours - taking a toll of four thousand, instead of the 300 who died in the second crash. But since your name was never on the list of passengers, noone will ever know how many lives you saved on September 11th, 2001.

*** You are a hero ***

Congratulations. You scored 3 points of of 3, giving you the rank of Hero. Would you like to RESTART, RESTORE a saved game, QUIT or UNDO your last move ? >quit
[Press any key to continue.]

I applied for a game developing study, but I was rejected. Now I'm doing webdesign, a little bit of programming, arts, audio, film, stuff like that. The study I'm participating in right now covers a wide range of multimedia subjects. Film is what I'm interested in at the moment. We're gonna do a 'short', shooting starts next tuesday. Directing is fun.

I've got a place doing Computer Games Technology at university later this year. It focusses more on the programming side of things so I guess that's what I'm interested in, but I can do a bit of graphics too.