Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

Quake 2 source ports

well not exactly doom, but isn't the quake 2 source released?
if so how many ports are out there for linux? i downloaded the linux port but my computer hardware is too new for it to work.

yep but the "normal" version dont work with my video card.

gives this
Added packfile ./baseq2/pak0.pak (3307 files)
Added packfile ./baseq2/pak1.pak (279 files)
Added packfile ./baseq2/pak2.pak (2 files)
execing default.cfg
execing config.cfg
Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------
sound sampling rate: 11025
------------------------------------
------- Loading ref_soft.so -------
LoadLibrary("ref_soft.so") failed: libvga.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Refresh failed
recursive shutdown
Error: Couldn't fall back to software refresh!

as far as i know everthing is installed. doesnt have instructions

Not many for Windows, let alone Linux..

The Quake 2 ports diddn't blow up half as much as expected. What's the point of developing a Quake 1 based engine when engines such as Tenebrae and Darkplaces already walk all over Q2?

Ed said:

What's the point of developing a Quake 1 based engine when engines such as Tenebrae and Darkplaces already walk all over Q2?

What? I've never heard of Darkplaces. But I hope you're joking about tenebrae... How does it walk all over quake 2? by making every surface, grass, rocks, stone....glossy and SHINY?

It's the potential of Tenabrea that puts it to a level above Quake 2. True, it looks like glossy shit out of the box. With the hi-res bump-mapped textures and md3 models, it makes a world of difference.

EDIT:

http://www.icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/

It's mostly all the fluffy nuget from every other Quake port out there, great for mapping, compiles out of the box with no issues, looks fancy.

The screenies for darkplaces don't look half bad...Now all someone has to do for quake is make the enemies and weapons non-suck.

yea booted back into windows to give them a shot. over all i am impressed. the first 2 i tried where ok. gave better preformance and maybe a few fixes over plain q2.exe (mainly that nasty "darkness" bug of quake II in openGL)
that was q2cc

the next was q2MAX, worked better but had more buggs, saves dont seem to work. had a lot more effects

however Q2 evolved is by far the best i have tried. i am surprised at how well it works for being a beta. even enemy AI seems a bit boosted. It has the most choices and tweak i have seem. havnt played quake2forge yet.

what got me back into quake II? well i own the game, somewhere, v1.17 (or something like that) the other day at work i noticed quake II in the "el-cheap" section of software, ok it had been teaseing me all month. however i really didnt care. the other day i was like "what the hell, price is $10" well the price was wrong, it was really $2 and with discount it now is the best $1.32 i have spent yet. must have sat on the shelf for over 3 years.