Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodreams

Arch-vile trick - map27

Well, some days ago I was watching Radek´s 30uv2609 speedrun movie and, in map27 (Monster Condo), he uses that arch-vile trick (forcing the arch-vile itself to open the exit door, which requires the red key, for those who don´t know the trick or don´t know what I´m talking about). So, why is the arch-vile able to open a key-locked door? Is it a bug? Or maybe it has something to do with the node building of the map... An explanation for this mystery is greatly appreciated since I couldn´t find an answer for it (nor on these forums neither on Google) and I´m pretty curious about all that trick...

I believe it is listed in the list of tricks at the Compet-N.
The trick is that the Archvile opens the other side of the door, which is not keyed.
pretty cool.

Yes; link.

Adam will have to update that bit about "only used in scratch runs of the level". :p

I can't offhand think of other maps where quite the same thing occurs, but presumably that's because this set-up is quite rare.

Kristian Ronge said:

I read/heard/misc somewhere that the Arch-Vile can open doors requiring keys. I have never tried to actively confirm this, though.

I am prety sure it is only able to do that if the other side don't need a key.

No monster is able to activate a linedef that requires a key to function. As has already been said this effect is only possible when there is another linedef that doesn't require a key in activation range. I think this bug has been fixed in almost all source ports so don't even try it there (unless running PrBoom/Eternity in compatibility mode.)

Graf Zahl said:

No monster is able to activate a linedef that requires a key to function. As has already been said this effect is only possible when there is another linedef that doesn't require a key in activation range. I think this bug has been fixed in almost all source ports so don't even try it there (unless running PrBoom/Eternity in compatibility mode.)

Hmmm... I was suspecting that it had something to do with the fact that the other side of the door doesn´t require the red key. And taking a better look on the map, the door being only 8 units thick maybe explains why the arch-vile can reach the other side (like you said, "when there is another linedef that doesn't require a key in activation range"). Oh, and Graf Zahl, IIRC I was able to use the trick in ZDoom. I´m gonna check it out again.

EDIT: Completely offtopic, but I had to ask: what happened to my sig? I edited it and now it´s gone... o_O

Sigs don't automatically appear any more. If you want it to, you need to tick the "Show Signature" box each time you post. I believe the change was made for Great Justice. See this thread.