Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hyena

Newstuff

How often does newstuff get updated? I saw dwforums3.zip in incoming a few days ago and I've been checking three times a day to see if it's gone to newstuff yet. Does Ty pick any specific times, or does he do it on a whim? There's other stuff in incoming that's been there since Sunday.

If it's a major wadfile like Daedalus or Community Chest, he updates it almost immediately. Otherwise, I'm guessing he does it when he has the time.

I wonder what this one's about. I hope it's better than dwforums2.

My guess is it's about a subject that has been restricted to one thread that we're forbidden to talk about in Everything Else.

Hyena said:

My guess is it's about a subject that has been restricted to one thread that we're forbidden to talk about in Everything Else.

that one with eight pages for which i will conspicuously omit the subject matter?

If the mysterious creator of the dwforums series is reading this, I'd like in.

Who else with advanced editing skills could have such a thorough understanding of all the stereotypes surrounding all the meaningful community members?

Hyena said:

I saw dwforums3.zip in incoming a few days ago and I've been checking three times a day to see if it's gone to newstuff yet.

It's there now, together with a bunch of other stuff.

AndrewB said:

Who else with advanced editing skills could have such a thorough understanding of all the stereotypes surrounding all the meaningful community members?

boris, shaviro, possibly GooberMan

AndrewB said:

With DSV5 Im sure kaiser did it.

I killed myself, heheh. Too bad it kept crashing at the portal. I ended up having to fight the last battle a different way.

AndrewB said:

Linguica.

No, it's got to be someone high up in the Doomworld hierarchy. Remember the links with "Taylor"?

Let's see... I beat it when deathz0r died before meeting Phoebus. Then I tried with him dying after meeting Phoebus, but the portal kept crashing on me. Then I beat it while deathz0r was still alive. I figured you might have different endings based on how you beat it, but they're all the same, and I'm guessing that the portal ending is also the same.

Heh, for some reason my deathz0r didn't last all that long. Suppose I'd better protect him a bit better next time to see if I can get that same crash. That will feel a bit weird. ;)

Anyway, it's a great work of fiction. Or something.

It's not that hard. A couple of well placed rockets should help, although I usually use the super shotgun with the Hell Knight. It also helps to be beside him when the conversation starts instead of behind him.

deathz0r died before I got to WMULL and it just spawned monsters forever and let me die. I tried again and got deathz0r in there, and it continued normally, but eventually the camera for the portal started moving weirdly and eventually clipped into the place I was in and focused on a dead Hell Knight.

Strange, I downloaded the map from an IRC link and played it all the way through, but I did encounter neither Deathz0r nor Phoebus. I better redownload it from /incoming, maybe I have an old version. I wanted to play through the map again anyway. It rocks.

Arno: the confusion probably arose because there's Kaiser 6 and dwforums3, which are two different wads but deal with similiar issues.

Man, dwforums3 rocks. Props to all logged in dwforums3mappers. Best of the series, IMO.

dwforums3

OMG you stole my character!!!!! (that's the hero's call sign in SSD)

Cool wad though - but it would've been better if the hack counter actually meant something. (as it has no effect on the outcome later)

NiGHTMARE said:

Arno: the confusion probably arose because there's Kaiser 6 and dwforums3, which are two different wads but deal with similiar issues.

Thanks for clearing that up. It was Kaiser 6 that I played first.

Now I have checked out dwforums3 too. It's a masterpiece! I'm truly impressed with all the creative ideas that went into this wad. The portal effect didn't work for me all the time, but it did work in the beginning. It looked superb! <insert more praise about dwforums3 here>

Actually, the original dwforums3 came in early on Tuesday morning, and was merged Wednesday night. Then another version came in this morning as a replacement for the previous one, and it was just merged a bit ago.

Not important, really, but just so you know it didn't sit there all week.

Unfortunately I've had to change my schedule at work and I can't do an SSH login from there, and don't get online at 5AM like I used to from home, so I've been a bit more "whim"-y than usual. Most of the time I'll get to things within a day, but if I can't do it in the morning and am forced (usually against my will, of course) to go out partying that night, that day's update will probably get skipped.

However, I do get an email notification within an hour when something's uploaded, and if someone will write to me to let me know something important is on the way (urgent bug fix, big deal release, etc.) I'll do my best to merge it quickly.

I do try to clear things out starting Friday mornings to provide newstuff fodder, if I'm available. Especially if Cyb's reviewing...

The only thing that could be improved in dwforums3 is that Max Payne-style title screen. It should have read "Doomworld Forums 3: The Fall of NewDoom".