Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Doom 2 Speedrun Movie

Andrey Budko has let us know of his Ultra Violence speedrun demo of all of Doom 2 in 14:48, which can be found on his page. I'm pretty sure this one is tools-assisted, as the only other time that comes close is Marijo Sedlic's TAS run in 16:17, followed by Drew "stx-Vile" DeVore's non-assisted run in 26:57.

map14-16 is quite a combo.
I love the new rj on 11. absolutely must-see stuff. excellent job, e6y!

DEMOn said:

I love the new rj on 11. absolutely must-see stuff. excellent job, e6y!

Yeah :)

I loved the rocketjump on map19 too - always wanted to see someone save a second that way, heh.

Bloodshedder said:
I'm pretty sure this one is tools-assisted, as the only other time that comes close is Marijo Sedlic's TAS run in 16:17, followed by Drew "stx-Vile" DeVore's non-assisted run in 26:57.

I hate to be picky, but Radek Pecka currently holds the record for the un-assisted 30uv at 26:09. :-) That run can currently be found in COMPET-N's /incoming folder, at ftp://competn.doom2.net:8002/pub/compet-n/incoming/

EDIT: And you're absolutely right, the Budko run is indeed assisted.

It says in the text file that he used a source modification of PrBoom, and that one of the benefits of this was having S50 enabled all the time. In other words, it's "more cheated" than Sedlo's run. Sedlo used regular S40 except in exceptional cases, so his turning is also much smoother and more pleasant to look at than Budko's. This is awesome nevertheless.

This is real demo newbie question, but how in the world do you playback these things without PrBoom desyncing!? I've tried 2.2.3, 2.2.4, and 2.3 with the following parameters:

prboom.exe -iwad c:\doom\doom2.wad -complevel x -playdemo 30uv1448.lmp

I know that the complevel numbers are different between 2.2 and 2.3, but I've tried with doom_compatibility, doom_demo_compatibility, and autodetect or whatever (leaving off the -complevel parameter). No matter what, the same thing always happens: MAP01 works fine, but it desyncs in MAP02 once he gets to the brown building with the red key. What the hell am I doing wrong!?

Bloodshedder said:
Well, I got my information from COMPET-N. Since it's in the /incoming folder, did this demo just get released or something?

Yes... Radek uploaded it on December 28th. The demos in /incoming remain there until the archive maintainer, Adam Hegyi, updates the database. So if you were to look in the database, it'll still have Vile's run listed as a record. In other words, you're not at fault.. It's not easy keeping up. :-)

Yes, Radek's demo is still in /incoming, and the compet-n database only reflects the situation as at the last update (i.e. when demos from /incoming were moved to their rightful place in /pub).

Edit: heh, simultaneous posting.

Edit2: david_a: my immediate guess is that your iwad might have been altered; do other Doom2 demos play back OK?

It made it in time for the 2003 Cybers, which isn't too far off if we have them again.

Grazza said:

david_a: my immediate guess is that your iwad might have been altered; do other Doom2 demos play back OK?

Actually... I think around five years ago (or more) I ran BSP and RMB on the IWADs. That would probably do it :)

Since it's a demo, I've uploaded it here temporarily, in case people have trouble downloading it from the original location.

man that was really fast... I can't even get through maps that quickly with no monsters :P

that's really fast, and in most ways it's a great performance.
It's of course heavily tool assisted, I think it involves slomo, demo connection and of course tweaked permanent strafe50.

But so far the style almost make me puke, very sharp turns and other things like that.
I'd rather watch Sedlo's run over and over again than this one.
Sedlo's style is a thousand times nicer to watch :)

But it's definatly a must watch...

Holy Crap, that was fast! You gotta love the map 29 rj into the hill climb, awesome. Plus, I still can't believe the map 24 wall slide to the exit room!

Although I still think he goes a bit too far when charging running through some of the doors, but I'm not a speed runner so what do I know.

Excellent work Andrey!

sgtcrispy said:

You gotta love the map 29 rj into the hill climb, awesome. Plus, I still can't believe the map 24 wall slide to the exit room!

Both are previously known tricks. The final map29 RJ was new in Sedlo's 30uv1617, while the map24 "ledge-you-can't-reach-but-can-still-use-somehow" thingy was discovered by AdamW/AdamH (I was a bit surprised to see Andrey credit it to Sedlo in his text). Info here.

The run does include new tricks though, such as the RJ in map11 (wow!), and I don't recall seeing the first one on map29 before.

And this comment in the text-file certainly warms the heart:

rocket-jump for acceleration. -130% of health, but this is also minus one sec.

Watched the demo... nice times.

How exactly was this demo done? Is it built or only tas? I cant figure it out from the textfile. It's definitely "more cheated" than 30uv1617 since that one only uses slowmo and savegames. The strafe50 is all done manually afaik.

And if this one isn't built, how does one strafe50 and turn at the same time?

Btw Andrey, Sedlo's map02 nomo time mighta been :26 four years ago, but nowadays it's :24.

it's only TAS but with something similar to the old SR50 mousedriver which enables strafe50 in all non-turn ticks.

I checked it with LMPC, and he's using SR50 while turning. He must have modified the source and recompiled.

In fact, he must have done that to get GF50 tics in Doom2.exe-compatibility mode too (you get GF49 with the standard version of prboom).

LMPC's summary:
# Statistics for player 0
# 22096 * GF50, 1 * GF25
# 2439 * GB50
# 11029 * SL50, 40 * SL40
# 10942 * SR50, 35 * SR40
# 2358 * TL1, 1035 * TL2, 630 * TL3
# 2230 * TR1, 951 * TR2, 610 * TR3
# 7789 * WT in 36716 tics (21.2%)

Some comments on the run and on the text file:

- MAP02: Sedlo's nomonsters time is :24.
- MAP10: nice stuff there opening the exit door through the grate before doing the glide. First time I see this.
- MAP11: no the RJ here is not new. at least I knew about it.
- MAP12/13: MBF corrected the bug which enables the player to do keygrabs, of course in PrBoom's compatibility mode for the old exe's it's all there.
- MAP16: shame for the time here, :09 is surely possible.
- MAP24: oh, missed the RJ there ;-) :28 can be done, maybe even better.
- MAP29: nice RJ, haven't seen it before. Too hard and little time gained to be generally useful unfortunately.

Quite a lot of times are low milliseconds, I suppose some of them could be improved, especially with building things from scratch.

Blown away! Watching those reminded me of way back in the mid 90s when i was doing speed runs through doom2. If you want to see them, go here...

http://www.geocities.com/couvier2000/doom2.html

Make sure to check out D2all.lmp (single player speed run though doom2) and Sdoom2.lmp (2 player speed run through doom2). Old but still impressive for its time.

Adam Hegyi said:

MAP29: nice RJ, haven't seen it before. Too hard and little time gained to be generally useful unfortunately."

I disagree. It is the easiest rocketjump for all demo. It is easier than at 19-th level. I have made it from the first attempt. To me has bothered again and again to quick bypass Imp at top of the stairs. But time it has saved, certainly, a little.

MAP24: oh, missed the RJ there ;-) :28 can be done, maybe even better.

Where?

Quite a lot of times are low milliseconds, I suppose some of them could be improved, especially with building things from scratch.

Sometimes it helps (3-rd level, 30-th, 31-st), and sometimes only angers. For example, all my attempts at 16-th level ended with magic time 10.00 :( I Think, that is very easy to improve Super Secret level. I don`t know why I have not thought of it earlier. (ended in 0:11.34)

entryway said:

Where?

Right after the first door. Instead of jumping down and running through the slime you can rocketjump across to the other side.

Erik said:

it's only TAS but with something similar to the old SR50 mousedriver which enables strafe50 in all non-turn ticks.

From doom2 source codes it is visible that strafe50 in all non-turn ticks is possible without any drivers. But for this purpose it is necessary to have a third hand and joystick.