Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ubik

Possibly the worst decision in recent video game company history?

SNK/Playmore, famous for such magnificent games as the King of Fighters and Metal Slug series, is switching their focus to pachinko, or Japanese pinball/slot machines.

And they're starting with a Metal Slug pachinko machine.

Metal. Slug. Pachinko.

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6086485.html

This sounds like one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, personally.

Then again, pachinko is really profitable in Japan, so it's not really surprising. I just hope that it doesn't mean they put less effort into their video games sector.

Article said:

With an estimated audience of 19 million, the Pachinko industry generates an annual revenue of nearly 30 trillion Yen (US$279 billion), which equates to almost eight percent of Japan's GDP in 2002.

Wholy shit

SNK/Playmore != SNK

The SNK we all knew and loved is dead forever. Just because a company got the name back (kinda) doesn't mean it's the same company. From the reviews I've read, none of their new titles are of the same quality as the old classics...

If they TOTALLY focus on pachinko, and totally ignore the games...I shall say goodbye to classics like SVC CHAOS, KoF 2003, and Metal Slug 5. I mean, darn, those are good!

IMHO the worst decision in recent video game company history was EIDOS deciding to waste tens of millions of dollars on ION Storm, when they should have given the money to Looking Glass Studios instead.

Valve has made some stupid decisions as of late :

-Quickly thrusting STEAM upon its userbase without making sure they'd release a stable version

-Ritual was quite close to completing Condition Zero when they decided to scrap all of their AWESOME new stuff and use all the regular default stuff from CS and just re-use the old CS levels and add like, a few new ones. Stupid assholes.

yea there are alot of bad decisions

however this one looks to be good, for them not the fans. they stand to make a lot of money and thats what a business is about.

as far as bad companies, i'll agree that EIDOS is about the worst game publisher to date. i aviod all games with EIDOS, mainly because almost every game i have played on PC from them has either sucked, been very buggy or had other issues and a combo of all 3.

Well EIDOS are publishing a game I'm looking forward to even more than Doom 3... :)

(Thief 3 in case you're interested)

not saying all EIDOS games are bad, just a geat many. mainly because they publish the first and last works of many companies, many whom seem to skip the debug phase of developement.

tombraider I and II, theif, hitman II and a few others are good, they are the exception to the rule. but Omikron, tombraider III thru IIXXXIII, PC port of FF VII, and many others have really made EIDOS look bad i think