Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

UGO Forwarding page

I like the new advertisement system of UGO! Now it is impossible to avoid large ads and as a second great achievement you have to wait much longer for your requested sites. It is amazing...

Tormentor667 said:

I like the new advertisement system of UGO! Now it is impossible to avoid large ads and as a second great achievement you have to wait much longer for your requested sites. It is amazing...

What ads?

Maybe it's only with certain browsers. But whenver you click on *any* link in the main site now it takes you to an advert page before the actual page you clicked on. It's not when you just go to external content, it's literally every single link. It makes navigating the site a real pain in the ass. It even happens on the idgames database when you just submit a wad rating.

Anyway, dwforums3 was ok. Don't normally like that sort of thing anyway but it was worthwhile, at least the conversations were kept short and sweet. I didn't like kaiser6 at all though. Those cutscenes were far too long and boring.

Oh man, is it just me or is telefragged starting to feel more like Gamespy everyday? First they put the whole line waiting deal into effect, now they're using forwarding on pages (Luckilly, this doesn't apply to the forums). So essentially, it's becoming the same thing. Only difference of course is that telefragged seems to be more unreliable than Gamespy. Boo Hoo.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

They'd better not introduce that awful FilePlanet login crap on 3ddownloads...

Can't download, fileplanet will eat me...

I've not seen a forwarding page yet, which makes me better than y'all.

Plus i dont really use 3ddownloads at all, so yay for me EVEN MORE.

The Flange Peddler said:

Maybe it's only with certain browsers. But whenver you click on *any* link in the main site now it takes you to an advert page before the actual page you clicked on. It's not when you just go to external content, it's literally every single link. It makes navigating the site a real pain in the ass. It even happens on the idgames database when you just submit a wad rating.

Yeah, that's what I meant :(

They are a business... and we are just squatters in their cyberspace.
I was offended by Gamespy because they gladly ate up all the free gaming ftp sites, then once they were theirs, they turned the tables. that was just sleazy.
Telefragged is, and always will be, doing us DOOMers a service... not that I'm happy with the direction they're heading, but we are lucky to have what we've got.

They'd better not introduce that awful FilePlanet login crap on 3ddownloads...
(that would be the final nail in an already well-nailed coffin)

Hmm, yes this definatly would suck...

3DDownloads said:

icd-deh.zip

Size Date Added Downloads
445.89 kb January 28, 2003 356

Download Server Activity
Current Persons in Queue: 170
Estimated Waiting Time: 43 minutes

OH GOD WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME :(

We should start a Doomers' filesharing service. Somebody could write a client. People would have to restrict their trading to Doom-specific stuff so that the network would remain uncongested. That way 3ddownloads wouldn't be necessary anymore... not for us... This would also be a great way to distribute stuff that is not accepted by the archive. People could even distribute their new work without ever having to upload it to the archive themselves (somebody else would do it if it was worth putting on the arcchive.).

Again, Doomworld can leave TF anytime and become Doomsector with no ads or anything, as soon as we can pay the $60/mo or whatever that the bandwidth would surely cost.

Opulent said:

I was offended by Gamespy because they gladly ate up all the free gaming ftp sites, then once they were theirs, they turned the tables. that was just sleazy.
Telefragged is, and always will be, doing us DOOMers a service... not that I'm happy with the direction they're heading, but we are lucky to have what we've got.

And of course we still have the 3d archives...thank god for those, everything you'd want from an ftp site - easy to use, anon logins, no queues, plenty of mirrors and (of course) active upload areas for DooM-engine games!

(pity it's not the same for Duke maps, they're near-impossible to find outside that infernal F***P***** download site)

Tormentor667 said:

That's what Mozilla is for, baby!

I'm surprised it's even just a standard pop-up page. For the longest time they had an ultra-annoying flash pop-up.

i never go to those big ass game websites anyways. i got tired of the popups, javascript ads, banners, audio-flash ads, and those "click here to continue to your destination" inbetween page ads. i can find the files i want elsewhere!

Opera 7.23. Pop-up killer, and doesn't support those crappy flash popups so they don't even show. Also has ability to disable page sound, so I can navigate Post Hell without having to turn off my speakers.

Opulent said:

They are a business... and we are just squatters in their cyberspace.

Yeah.

I hate how when you look for any infor or patches on a game, 90% of the first 50 searches on Google are all linked to Fileplanet in some way. Especialy Half-Life patches. I remember once my Half-Life updater wouldnt god dman work so I had to look for it online. All I could find were links to Fileplanet servers which all had 5 hour queues that day. Retarded. Also, I think they ate that one good Duke Nukem site and got rid of all the custom levels it hosted. :(

Personally I prefer queing over the alternative, i.e. constantly having to click a link over and over and over (etc) again because there are too many people on the server. I remember it used to happen with cdrom.om all the time, before they stopped accepting Quake-related files. Funny how quickly we forget these things.

Even worse, some download sites without ques often download at 0.5kb/s or slower (once you finally manage to actusally tart downloading the file you want that is). At least 3D Downloads and File Planet downloads go at a decent speed.

NiGHTMARE said:

At least 3D Downloads and File Planet downloads go at a decent speed.

Yeah, maybe for you.

I'm talking about the speed it goes when you actually start downloading the file, not the length of time it takes to do that.

One of the points of queing is to try to ensure that files transfer at a decent rate. I'm sure you'd agree that it's better to wait 45 minutes for a download to start and then another 5 minutes for the file to download, than to not que at all but have the file take 5 hours to download.

Danarchy said:

Also, I think they ate that one good Duke Nukem site and got rid of all the custom levels it hosted. :(

Certainly true. Dukeworld (a great site with a ton of maps) became PlanetDuke (another faceless gamespy site). Fortunately there's somewhere else to get up-to-date Duke maps now.

Certainly true. Dukeworld (a great site with a ton of maps) became PlanetDuke (another faceless gamespy site). Fortunately there's somewhere else to get up-to-date Duke maps now.

yeah?

Gamespy aren't alone though; UGO gobbled up a really cool adventure games related site, and quickly (less than 2 months IIRC) proceeded to run the place into the ground so badly they just gave up on it and made the URL automatically re-direct you to ugo.com instead.