Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Chopkinsca

gah, new to mapping? Or just want to improve?

Are there any guides out there with things in general to try to stay away from while mapping? Or guidelines for improving your level design?

I think it would be a good idea to have a resource of editing tips...

Then again, I imagine there is one out there already. If not, maybe point out somethings you prefer to see done in maps to make them more enjoyable.

Download and look at maps people have created. Good maps I mean. Shouldn't be too hard to find some nice maps out there, check on idgames and download the ones which people recommend. Look at them in an editor and play them too, that'll help.

Yeah, for the most part I would say that is the best advice, but there are still bad maps that get released.
Although some are just a 'I made a map, everyone look!!" type thing.

Are there any guides out there with things in general to try to stay away from while mapping? Or guidelines for improving your level design?

Well, as far as things to stay away from, there really isn't much. If you learn how to do stuff like types and tags, then you can do just about anything with vanilla doom. The hardest thing (IMO) is rising stairs. To this day, I don't think I've ever gotten stairs to rise correctly ^_^

Sometimes by looking a map, you can't really tell whats going on because the architecture is somewhat advanced. Try looking at popular wads like alien vendetta and see how they do things structurally.

Editing tips, editing tips.... ahh here are some that I've compiled my self. They were adapted from my old Half-Life website's random tip generator:

"Use textures appropriately and make sure they align properly."
"Correct errors as you find them. If bugs are ignored too long, you may forget about them."
"Don't rush into mapping. Take your time to prevent petty mistakes."
"Take the game's engine limits into account. Don't try to achieve unrealistic goals."
"Don't abuse decorations. Remember that the visible sprite limit is only 256."
"Place weapons close to deathmatch starts to reduce anxiety on the players."
"Vary your wall textures a bit to avoid repetition."
"Add dark spots to your levels ocassionally to add atmosphere."
"Use various angles in your levels. Everything doesn't have to be at a ninety degree angle."
"Lights in a hall or corridor don't have to be repetative. Have some lights blinking, turned off, or appear broken."
"When creating the general parts of your levels, use a grid like 8 or 16. For smaller details use something like 4."
"Draw out your levels with pencil and paper. This will help mapping a bit easier."
"For God's sake, please don't put the blue keycard behind the blue door."
"Try to spare us from annoying homemade 'bloop' and 'doink' sound effects."
"The majority of Doom players don't like to fight ten Cyberdemons before they even find the shotgun."
"Keep a good balance of health, ammunition, and monsters. This increases the fun factor."
"Avoid linearity by creating multiple ways to achieve goals. This increases the replayability of your level."
"Don't put shells in your level if you don't have a shotgun..."
"Just because you can include every single monster in the level, doesn't mean you should."
"Before you release your level, delete all (invisible) unused linedefs and sectors. This can reduce the filesize dramatically."
"When texturing, don't go from a gothic theme to a space theme without a good reason to. You'll confuse your players."
"All your base are belong to EarthQuake."

As you can see this was aimed towards vanilla doom.