Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

bad pets

what in your opionion is a bad pet? what about a good one?

here are a few bad ones
gerbils/hamsters/mice - Why? nasty and they bite. most people, includeing my self have had very bad experences with these animals. Mice have a horrid smell too

inbred dog breeds - many are too inbred and are not good for children. some are great. i hate chauchau(spelling??!) and everyone i have known who owned a dalmation has had bad luck, dalmations went nuts and attacked kids.

any amphibian - i point this out many because they are not good for children because children like to hold things. however they are great for adults or teens

iguana - bad because this is a large lizard that can be very mean. they can reach 7 feet long, they have a whip like tail, slashing claws and razor sharp teeth. only owners who understand this animal should get one. i own one but he is only about 3 feet long

guinie pigs/rabbit - good animals to get, tame and calm. no bad smell. one thing bad about rabbits, can get too fat.

dog/cat - cant go wrong with the classics, just aviod all the inbred ones

leopard gecko - one of a few lizards that are great pets for children. tame, odorless and hardy

Stealthy Ivan said:

My tropical fish have never done me wrong...

Too temperamental and costs too much to replace.

I have one dog, but it has a habit of occasionally clawing people in the forehead and biting their noses.

It's very funny, because 99% of the time, she's totally cool, and just sits around and eats.

Her name is Happy - which tops it all off.

I have a dog. He's cool, and nice with children nowadays. He was pretty wild when he was younger though. :)

-Jk- said:

I have a dog. He's cool, and nice with children nowadays. He was pretty wild when he was younger though. :)

It almost seems like dogs are like people in the way that, some of them are great, others of completely insane. I know alot of cool dogs, but then I have also seen a few lemons...

Turtles, young squirrels and hermit crabs aren't your best bet if you want a good pet.

mje said:

I have one dog, but it has a habit of occasionally clawing people in the forehead and biting their noses.

In cats, that's a form of showing love and appreciation.

Zaldron said:

In cats, that's a form of showing love and appreciation.

Finished sprites are the best pets, I've heard.

Sephiroth said:

gerbils/hamsters/mice - Why? nasty and they bite.

inbred dog breeds... i hate chauchau(spelling??!)

My daughter has had gerbils, mice and currently has a hamster. I used to have gerbils and a mouse. They all had a go at taking a chunk out of someone's finger at some point. However, with frequent handling they become more used to hands, and less inclined to bite them. Just part of owning one of those kind of pets I guess. Rabbits aren't much better. If you don't handle them often enough, they too will bite - and they have bigger teeth.

As for Chihuahua's - heh, they are stupid little "dogs". Smaller than most cats and look ridiculous. How do I know? I own one of them too.

Job said:

Turtles, young squirrels and hermit crabs aren't your best bet if you want a good pet.

Yep, owned all them as well (OK, it was chipmunks rather than squirrels). Chipmunks can get smelly very quickly if you don't keep on top of the cage cleaning, but they are entertaining pets. I liked my turtles (red eared terrapins) but they are a little tricky to keep and prone to disease, especially if they have not been treated well prior to being bought. Hermit crabs - yup they're crappy.

Over the years I've had a wide variety of pets. A tree frog was cool (I got it from a friend who found it in the frozen lettuces in a supermarket he worked in), but needed live flies. However, watching it catch them was excellent. A fish that would only eat mosquito larvae was also cool, but after it died, I forgot about its food supply in the cupboard until I opened the door one day and was swarmed by about 100,000 mosies. Haven't even scratched the surface yet: birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, reptiles, mammals and quite a few invertebrates too. I've had loads of things - mainly in my teenage years and early twenties. Being a biologist, I guess I took things to extremes for a while. Although, I'm not really a cat person. Semi domesticated vermin IMO that impose on everyone else in the neighbourhood.

The best pet? A rock. Pet rocks were really "in" for a while. Minimal upkeep, no feeding requirement etc. The ideal pet, except not very cuddly.

No, I'm not kidding:
http://www.super70s.com/Super70s/Culture/Fads/Pet_Rocks.asp

turtles to me are a food item, if i owned any they would be for eating purposes.

i like to watch the animals in their native settings. so many of mine are not handled. however most dont like it

i have chameleons and a gold gecko, both had handleing and both have painful bites.

the blue tongue skink is a good pet. it will not bite but instead if it gets pissed i will...well.. piss. it is a large lizard mine is exactly 2 feet, it is built like a tank, and eats anything (really enjoys cockroaches)

Pythons make horrible pets, imo. Generally it's not their fault, they're shipped to the states in horrible conditions. On top of that, there is a big chance the adaptation to the climate and moisture levels in the air can throw it into shock in a short period of time. My father owned two and both died in a matter of months, where his boa lived for many years in the same conditions.

On the other hand, box tortoises make great pets.

They eat about 1 can of wet cat-food a week, try to make it with their heated rocks, and are generally 'friendly' reptiles. They also live as long as medium sized mammles, depending on what species you get.

Silverwyvern said:

Birds are fun. Best pet I ever had was a rat.

Silly, rats aren't birds. They're fish. :-)

i know that story is fake, was just kidding.

i dout anyone would "gerbil" unless they had a death wish.

i just really hate gerbils