Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Announcing Chex Quest III: The Flem Wars!

Team Eternity has started a new modification project to be titled Chex Quest III: The Flem Wars. It is based on the previous Chex Quest games, in which you play the Chex Warrior, who must fight against hoardes of nefarious Flemoids -- monsters made of snot!

You can view the preview site here:
http://www.doomworld.com/eternity/cq3/

The mod will make extensive use of new Eternity Engine features, including some new enhancements to friendly creature AI which have been added to allow Chex Warrior to have a sidekick to watch his back.

Since most of the resources are already done, the primary accomplishment to be made is map editing. We anticipate at least 10 maps for this modification. Several people have already expressed interest in mapping. If you believe you would like to map for this project, send me an email!

Heheh. Yeah, there's a little Contra III parody in this project. It's a cool game and is so serious whereas Chex Quest is so silly -- the two make a zany mix.

It's nifty that someone's doing another ChexQuest game. You probably don't give a damn, but if you (or anyone else for that matter) want what I came up with while attempting to get Chex Quest 1/2 accurate in modern engines (complete with basically correct messages and semi-accurate cheats, not to mention correctly altered stats and such), just let me know. I don't really remember what condition it's all in, but it should at least be playable-ish.

Quasar said:

the two make a zany mix.

A zany Chex-Mix(tm)? :)

... I'll shut up.

Quasar, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Assmaster, before you start trying to act mega-cool-and-whatnot by using the newproject tag, make sure you check that the person doesn't have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of uses of the newproject tag that only succeeded in making the person using it look like a complete moron, because they did have something to show.

Aren't you contradicting yourself, arioch? Because there's plenty of material on that site to show. The sprites are 90% done, the EDF is 90% done, the textures are all done but need a bit of importing to get them all into one wad, and a significant amount of the static game graphics are also finished (title, help, intermission screens).

Of course, you're probably trying to be funny -- in that case, heheheh ^_^

I am sorry, but there is already a Chex Quest 3 in existance, as well as a Chex Quest 4, and a Chex Quest 5.

I myself have been working on The Ultimate Chex Quest since July. You can find the page at http://members.fortunecity.com/doomskin/chexquest/index.html

The first part of the project has long been complete, which was converting Chex Quest and Chex Quest 2 so that they work together in the same wad.

I am currently engaged in the second phase of the project, which involves fixing up all the levels to make them look better. Since my project is for DooM Legacy, I am using Legacy specific features, such as 3D floors, and some application of MD2s. You can see some of the work I have been doing on the site in the screen shots section.

If you are interested, you can download a copy of the existing Chex Quest 3 at http://chexmania.tripod.com/

Chex Quest 3 sucks, but it definately exists, so it would be silly to call your's Chex Quest 3.

As far as I know, Chex Quest 4 is an abandoned project.

The status of Chex Quest 5 is unknown to me.

There is also Chex Quest Extended version by Loremaster, if you are interested. It can be found at http://www.prankwars.com/chexquest/

The Ultimate Chex Quest already includes Chex Quest and Chex Quest 2, of course, but will eventually consist of a full four episodes. A full storyline has already been planned out, and some work has already been done on new levels. A number of new flemoids are also in the design stage. I plan to continue using sprites for the flemoids, in spite of the fact that the Legacy team is near completion of its MD2 and MD3 support. This is because of the cartoonish appearance of the game, which is best suited to sprites, and because the Legacy team is also nearing completion of support for higher resolution on sprites, hence I can put my training as an animator to good use.

In case you are interested in contacting me, you can do so via the Ultimate Chex Quest forum at http://pub80.ezboard.com/fteamdeimfrm11 or at the Chex Quest Talk forum at http://invisionfree.com/forums/chexquestforums/index.php?showforum=1

It may be possible that you might want to do an adaptation of TUCQ for the Eternity engine once the Legacy version is complete.

Oh. I forgot to mention that you got the names of all of the flemoids wrong. They are all named using pseudo Latin specie names, which are:

Flemoidus Commonus
Flemoidus Bipedicus
Flemoidus Bipedicus (with armour)
Flemoidus Quadrumpus
Flemoidus Cycloptis
Flemoidus Larva
The Flembrane
Flemoidus Maximus

the new flemoids I am working on also follow this silly naming scheme. ;-)

Boingo: Quasar knows about CQ3. The title is a parody of Contra III. He also heard about your project already.

Personaly, I think it will be interesting to see two different Chex Quest mods/TCs come out, especialy since they have different premises. :P

Boingo: Nice work with The Ultimate Chex Quest - I'd been thinking someone should merge the two official CQ episodes.

And, for the record, the 'entended' version Loremaster 'made' is utter garbage - it is nothing more than the normal chex.wad renamed to doom.wad and slapped into Doom95. The doom levels exist in the normal wad, but the normal executible never lets you access them.

If it was just called "Chex Quest: The Flem Wars" it would probably work out fine for everyone.

BTW: My project has nothing to do with CQ3, 4, or 5. I just figured you guys would want to know about them.

Boingo said:

Oh. I forgot to mention that you got the names of all of the flemoids wrong. They are all named using pseudo Latin specie names, which are:

Flemoidus Commonus
Flemoidus Bipedicus
Flemoidus Bipedicus (with armour)
Flemoidus Quadrumpus
Flemoidus Cycloptis
Flemoidus Larva
The Flembrane
Flemoidus Maximus

the new flemoids I am working on also follow this silly naming scheme. ;-)

I didn't realize they had real names, I was just making up some that I thought were funny. I will consider changing them.

It's a fun project to work on, it should be fun to play when it's done, it will show off some Eternity features, and it has encouraged me to accelerate development of the port. Beta 6 is going to have a mind-blowing number of new features.

Graf Zahl said:

Maybe I'm just ignorant but: Does anybody really need this? ;-)

that's a retarded mentality, does anybody need any doom wads? not at all. but authors like to work on them because they enjoy it (it's probably my own favorite hobby) and it's just fun. plus there are lots of people who like to play all sorts of different types of wads. And here in Quasar's case this will probably also help him work out some bugs and maybe even improve his port, which is good for him as well as anyone who may want to make levels for Eternity.

Yes. Those are the names of the flemoids. I kid you not.

You may want to announce your project on the Chex Quest forum I mentioned in my earlier post. There are a number of Chex Quest fans there, who would be interested in it.

Quasar said:
Beta 6 is going to have a mind-blowing number of new features.

What? WHAT!? Owww, the agony of having to wait!

BTW, it's a very good idea to make a small fun TC that shows off some of Eternity's goodies. Time to attract more designers!

It's been more than three weeks since the last post in this thread.

Has there been any progress on this project since then?

It's now been two months since my last post. Has there been any progress?

Minor progress. We still need the gargantuan combined texture wad before mapping can start, and to put it together properly without both driving myself insane and getting a serious case of RSI in my wrists, I'll need to write a semi-complex program that can merge two texture resources while auto-deconflicting all the patch and texture names inside them. There is, AFAIK, no DOOM utility which can already do that operation, which is amazing after 11 years of utility development.

Hey wait.. I don't suppose one of you would already HAVE a texture wad that contains the textures from CQ and CQ2, would you? If so, this would solve our problem automatically. If it contained the salvagable textures from CQ3, that would be an extra bonus. It would need to be merged against the DOOM II textures, however, and not the DOOM textures, as CQIII is based on the Chex TC which converted the original episode to DOOM II. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know ASAP if anyone can help here.

Hmmm ...

I suppose I can make one up for you (although I cannot promise).

The Ultimate Chex Quest, along with all my other DooM related projects, has been moved to my new web domain, http://www.doomlegends.com

A beta version of TUCQ phase II is currently available there.

I hope to have an updated version of the Epidermis Emporium ready sometime next week as well.

I have a utility on my HD that can merge texture resources. I'd be glad to compile a texture WAD with it, but I'd need the separate texture data first.

Edit: I just realised; it's been a while since that post of yours Quasar. Is it still needed at all?

The issue isn't just merging two texture wads; WinTex can do that. The issue is that the two texture wads have patches and textures which are named the same. If merged directly, one is going to overwrite the stuff in the other, and that is NOT what I want. I want the conflicting resources to be renamed at my direction so that in the end, both sets of textures exist. WinTex cannot do this for sure, and I don't know of any other utility that can.

All I have right now is when a duplicate texture or patch name is found, the user can select from which WAD he wants the texture\patch to come from. So I'd have to add the renaming part, if you havent written your version of the util yet, that is.

One can simply rename the patches and textures in order to keep them from overwriting DooM patches and textures.

The problem with Chex Quest textures is that there are a lot of repeat patches. For TUCQ phase I, a lot of the work was in eliminating these duplicate patches, and fixing the textures that used them.