Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShaneAmp

Convert Ultimate Doom To Doom 2

Hi, does anyone know the easiest way to convert ultimate doom levels to doom 2? Maybe a certain level editor does it? I tried to the doom converter, but its for DOS, and im stupid with DOS, i couldnt get it to work. Maybe someone also knows somewhere i could get a copy that someone has already done, or maybe someone could do it and send it over. I dunno a whole lot about all this doom editing stuff yet, so maybe this is real simple. Thanx

-Shane

Fredrik said:

The easiest way is to RTFM for the program you didn't know how to use.

Yeah, because these forums aren't for asking questions, huh?

That looked like a fairly helpful answer to me. Sometimes you just have to sit down and learn how to use something.

Right in the .doc file that comes with DM2CONV:

DM2CONV handles the conversion process in a very easy way.
Let's introduce some conventional names:
    D  = DOOM
    UD = ULTIMATE DOOM
    D2 = DOOM II
    H  = HERETIC
If you want to convert from game1 to game2 you should type:
    DM2CONV source destination @:(game1)TO(game2)

Let suppose you want to run SNIPER.WAD (a level by Eric C. Reuter) with
DOOM II; just execute the following command:
    DM2CONV SNIPER.WAD SNIPER2.WAD @:DTOD2
For HERETIC you have to execute:
    DM2CONV SNIPER.WAD SNIPERH.WAD @:DTOH

Âlright thanx, i dunno much, thats why i asked. I mostly wanted to see if a level editor would have the option built in. And wha does RTFM stand for?

Well Ultimate Doom has 36 levels and Doom 2 only 32. That would be kind of tough to do. If your using Regular Doom, then you would run out of Secret level spots, but you would have enough maps. The cut screens wouldn't show up right if you did this.

PumpkinSmasher said:

Well Ultimate Doom has 36 levels and Doom 2 only 32. That would be kind of tough to do. If your using Regular Doom, then you would run out of Secret level spots, but you would have enough maps. The cut screens wouldn't show up right if you did this.

*cough* ZDoom *cough*

I liked how DosDoom let you load both Ultimate Doom and Doom2 iwads and listed Hell on Earth as another episode choice below Thy Flesh Consumed.

With Dm2conv I suggest cutting out some of the things part of the conversion from Doom 1 to Doom 2. It almost definately ALWAYS changes a weak zombie near the beginning to an Arch-Vile, where often you don't anything to kill it with or anywhere to hide from its blast.

Also I modified a copy of Dm2Conv's default.rsp to allow Doom to Strife conversions (also Doom formatted Hexen map to Strife conversion but takes more work afterwards to be really playable). It's here.