Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

Newb in loading wads please help

Hi, I was wondering how to load wads into zdoom. I tried searching the forums for an answer but couldn't find anything....I tried command lines (dont know if i'm doing it right....) and just placing the was file over zdoom but i always get an illegal operation message.

Assuming you are running Windows, there are a couple of options:

1) Start -> Run.. -> type "cmd" -> change folder to your zdoom folder, e.g. "cd c:\games\zdoom" -> type "zdoom -file THE_WAD.wad -warp X -skill Y"

Where THE_WAD is the name of the WAD file you want to play, X is the map you want to start playing on (e.g. 1 or 24 or so for Doom2 and 1 1 or 3 4 to play ep.1 map 1 or ep.3 map 4 respectively for doom/ultimate doom), and Y is the skill level (1 - ITYTD ... 5 - NM). Other options can be included as well, e.g. "-fast" for fast monsters, etc. If you have both the doom2 and doom IWADs in the folder you can specify the IWAD with "-iwad doom" or "-iwad doom2" (but doom2 is default so no need to specify that if playing doom2).

2) Make a shortcut to ZDoom on your desktop. Edit the shortcut and add the options "-file", "-skill" etc. described above to the "command line" for the shortcut. Save, and then just double click the shortcut.

3) The click-and-drag method (which seems to not be working for you?)

4) Use a launcher, there are several good ones. Just one off the top of my head: Doomer by George Reagan. Look at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/georgereagan/index.html

I've always left mouse clicked on the wad, then used the 'open with' option. If there is no default windows should let you choose one

Also if you're smart like me you can use "file types" tab on the "folder options" screen you find in windows explorer. Then you make the file type "wad file" and then you do some more stuff and magically whenever you double click a wad it will run in zdoom. Like magic. True story.

..Except one might want double-clicking WAD files to mean they automatically open with one's favourite Doom editor. ;-P

Not to mention that tactic doesn't allow customised (differing) options, like -fast, -record, -warp etc.

another usefull thing (if your going to use the command prompt) is the 'command promt here' powertoy.

I have a shortcut to my prboom directory in my quicklaunch toolbar, left clicking and selecting the dos promt means cut's down on typing when running demos.

Click and drag the .WAD file onto Zdoom.exe. Works like a charm. This also works with multiple .WAD files if you drag multiple .WADs onto the Zdoom.exe.

or u can simply drag n' drop the wad file u want ON the zdoom.exe,provided u have already placed the doom/doom2 iwad file in the zdoom directory