Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

It's Hostering Time!

Doomworld is now proud to present something which has not occurred in an age of men... well it seems that long at any rate. We've just taken two new hosted sites under our wing so you may enjoy them or something like that.

• Death Match News - Brought to you by Rellik (that's killeR backwards) which features various news from the multiplayer community such as updates to ZDaemon, Skulltag, Doom Connector and all sorts of related info. If you're a DM (or Co-op) freakazoid you'll probably want to bookmark this page as it contains lots of info on all that is multiplayer Doom.

• SeHackEd - Now something for you Strife fans out there. In case you're not in the know, Strife was a commercial Doom engine game that featured a bunch of RPG elements to go along with the FPS gameplay of Doom. It features stuff like a conversation system and you can buy ammo and health from shopkeepers and all that. Well, for anyone who has ever loved Strife and wanted to hack it up (ala DeHackEd), SeHackEd is for you. The page features various info on the project (and on Strife itself) and of course a download. Go check it out.

There were also versions 0.82pb and 0.84f of Hex released.

And if you try HHE you'll want to get some info on what to put in its ini file so it works with Heretic 1.3 (Shadow of the Serpent Riders).

Gokuma said:

/me thinks Arioch added it as he was entering that reply.

No way.

That's Arioch you're trying to throw accusations at.

Ichor said:

I prefer the later version of Hex, which works with Hexen 1.1.

If only it worked for me...(it gives me a crappy runtime error when trying to install)...can someone give me the files from the installed version?

I played the Strife demo a long time ago and loved it...but I've NEVER been able to find the entire game _anywhere_, legally or illegaly. I really want that game! where the hell you get it?

LabRat404 said:

I played the Strife demo a long time ago and loved it...but I've NEVER been able to find the entire game _anywhere_, legally or illegaly. I really want that game! where the hell you get it?

Read the FAQ lately?

A L I E N burst my guts, there are some sick people out there :-) :-)

I mean DeHackEd for Strife! And the site layout!? Man, if I ever turn to illegal drugs, I'll want some of whatever he's smoking!!

Heh heh heh, wonder why nobody thought of it earlier, really... :-)

You do realise the folks on the ZDoom forums will now start pestering Randy to support DEH patches in Strife :-) :-)

Gokuma: ncie to se you doing this for Strife. unfortunately it's to late for me to make any addons for strife.. as I planned years ago.. but never did cause.. well I had no editor.

It'd be cool if Doom Builder supported Strife. I dunno if it even has Heretic or Hexen support yet though.

BBG said:

It'd be cool if Doom Builder supported Strife. I dunno if it even has Heretic or Hexen support yet though.

Full Heretic and Hexen support including Zhexen.

It's never too late! I wish I got so interested in Strife and did this stuff years ago, but it's better late than never and years ago I may not have been as capable of pulling off what I've managed to do now anyway.

I did whip up a quick Strife.cfg for Doom Builder but I've been unable to get Doom Builder to recognize it even when trying to disguise it as another game's config. Maybe someone can get it working though. You'll want to build a strfedit iwad as directed in the Strife editing package though (much thanks to Nightmare for contributing the texture wad to do it, which had to be a freaking lot of work) since Doom Builder doesn't support Strife's change texture format. There are already good configs for DETH and Wadauthor in the editing package as well. You can find it on the Doom files page of http://gokuma.site.voila.fr

BBG said:

It'd be cool if Doom Builder supported Strife.

i've been tempted to make a config for it, i just didn't have the information to do it. with sehacked out now that information is easily obtainable, so i might if i ever get any reason to.

edit: /me looks at gokuma's config

oh, i see why it's not working. db still isn't reading new configs, an error i posted but codeimp must not have noticed.

Dude, I got SeHackEd working with EVERY version of Strife. While hacking around with the v1.1 exe from the demo (but you still need a full retail iwad to pass registered version check and I'm not going to change that. The demo iwad doesn't have many resources to play with anyway), I came across some weird stuff.

If there was something else somewhere between the normal released version of Doom and Press-Release Pre-beta, that's what the v1.1 demo exe is to Strife. It's not as interesting as the Doom Pre-beta but it's still cool. It was apparently compiled from a not-so-updated set of source code kept separate from the retail 1.0, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.31. v1.0 retail is actually more updated than the v1.1 demo. In the v1.1 exe, the unused gas grenades are partly implemented. The projectile and gas fume things are all set up. The item is there (map id# 84) but just goes into your inventory and you can't you it. So I copied the gas grenade projectile's data over the HE-grenade projectile to try it out. It's like a weaker phosphorous grenade that doesn't spawn more additional fire/gas. It would have been cooler if it worked like poisoned sectors where to takes a while to get out of your system, but unfortunately it doesn't and it's rather ineffective. Then some things are swapped around and have some different names.

I just have to sort out the cheat codes for v1.1 (found the offset though) and do so some testing to make sure everything works smoothly. In things mode, I'm wondering whether to leave Name Pointer where it is or move it to misc box under the bits number value. I have the name string they point to now displayed above the check-boxes for bits. At first it seems like it makes more sense to move the name pointer value to the misc box. But since both the name pointer and frame sprites determine what a gettable item gives you and where it goes, I think it makes more sense it leave it under frames. Also SeHackEd can now correctly display and edit all things (couldn't do anything with some unknowns at the end). I fixed it by adding a bunch of blank clipboard things. Apparently the problem was that it uses the last dozen or so things as clipboards so I just gave it more to work with instead of ignoring the data of the last dozen actual things in Strife's exe. I can't find what's doing it. I guess it just wasn't designed for an unexpected increase from the 137 things in Doom to the 344 in Strife.

Also, the released Sehacked v0.3 can already work with v1.3. The only thing that's different from v1.31 is the weapon offset. To use Sehacked v3.0 with Strife v1.3, just edit the ini and have these values (and of course not commented out):

version = 4
weaponoff = 362932

The main difference between Strife v1.3 and v1.31 is that in v1.3 and lower you can press F12 to see other players views on skill 1 multiplayer and while playing back demos, while in v1.31 they changed F12 to take screenshots.