Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
King_Parliament

The first time you met the Spider Mastermind...

Hey, remember him? The big, ugly Brain-On-Legs with the minigun? The one that takes forever to kill and longer to not be killed by? I'm sure we all do. I'm also sure we all agree he's harder than Mr. Cybie Demon, as you can dodge the rockets. Bullets... Not much so.

The first time I met him, my response was along the lines of "HOLY CRAP!" as my character was swiss-cheesed by bullets and cut down at medium range. I have since been only able to beat him while cheating, but I haven't tried fighting him in a fair battle since age 9. That will change soon.

Anyone remember? About what the evil prick did to Daisy? Anyone?

Unless you're on an enormous, entirely open map, you can get behind columns and walls to block his bullets. You just have to be careful exactly how you approach him, although he's usually placed in situations where you can either BFG-rush him or rocket-snipe at him from behind a wall. So he's not very hard.

The Spider Mastermind is a pathetic excuse for a boss.
It's reaction time, speed, and hit points all need increased for it to be a worthy enemy.

Doom2 map06, The Crusher. Not much of a problem there at all. :)

There aren't many situations where a spider's more troublesome than a cyber. Except if you're playing Tyson style, I suppose.

instead of that wussy chaingun the spiderdemon should've wielded a chain-rocket launcher that fires rockets which flies 2x faster than the cybo's rocket, that would've made a spectacular boss ending, and dethrone the cyberdemon's toughest-boss-of-all-time title.

The first time that I face the SM I only had 6% health, so it really was a challange.

But yes, in equal conditions, the Cyber is stronger. I hope that this is not the case in Dark Nexus.

In the mod I'm working on you'll face an upgraded version of the Spider that will make even my upgraded version of the Cyber, run for his money.

On E3M8, once I open the door, I'd grab the rocket launcher and head to the left around that ledge, picking up all the ammo. It doesn't even notice me until I'm about a quarter of the way around. I continue on all the way around until I finish back at the door again. While I'm behind the Spiderdemon, it almost always shooting at something else, so I can get the last few rockets and cells. Then I head toward the central tower to pick up the armor and plasma gun. By this time, the Baron of Hell is dead and the Spiderdemon has just now noticed me again, so I fire a few rockets, then unload all my cells (using the plasma gun) until it dies.

I find that the Mastermind usually just stomps around aimlessly with his head/brain/whatever turned completely to another direction, so I can just run up to it and kill it off quickly. As long as you don't linger in a wide open space, there's no problem.

First time I met it? E3M8, killed it easily. For some reason I've always had an enormous respect for the Cyberdemon (along with the Arch-Vile it's the only monster I normally play carefully around) and always considered the Mastermind as nothing more than an annoying obstacle.. like a pack of zombiemen in a cramped corridor.

EarthQuake said:

It's reaction time, speed, and hit points all need increased for it to be a worthy enemy.

I think he reacts slow enough as it is. I'd rather decrease his reaction time then increase it.

A time ago I would just run at him firing the BFG hoping he died before I did. But now I don't fear him at all.
For me being a doom noob, it was quite difficult until I actually killed him and saw how much of a wuss he reall was.

If his reaction time was greatly increased, it would be a different story

I'd rather increase it's rate of fire. Twice as fast maybe? The bullets would do the same amount of damage, but it would kill you a lot quicker.

Hmm, Spider mastermind is often too easy, but I don't think it would be fun if it had faster reaction time or more efficient bullets. I think could have a bit more hitpoints so that it couldn't be killed with 1-2 bfg shots and it shouln't get stuck so easily. The best change would be different attack though, It's not good to have boss that has bullets that you can't dodge.

actually i was extremely disappointed when i first met it, it didn't have the thrill that the cacodemon and especially, the cyberdemon, had.

You mean baby spiders - like the Gonarch?

Maybe it should have had a super-railgun. :p

No, I mean another Spiderdemon, so they can shoot at each other, and you can easily finish off what's left.

Ichor said:

No, I mean another Spiderdemon, so they can shoot at each other, and you can easily finish off what's left.

But that would be no fun letting them finish each other off. Where's your sense of excitement??? Heh.

Nah, I know what you mean, but I still say it would be redundant and mundane for that to happen.

My first reaction to it in E3M8 was something like this:

1. Big shock - Holy crap, what is that?
2. Select BFG
3. Shoot 3 or 4 times (I wasn't that skilled 10 years ago.)
4. Spider dies - WTF? This is supposed to be the end boss of Doom? Pathetic.

This is still the most unsatisfying end boss I ever encountered in a game. Compared to the weaponry you have as a player in that level it's far too easy.

The Spider mastermind is indeed easy to kill. The first time I faced him I just stayed far away from him while shooting with the plasma gun. No challenge at all.

I admit it! When I started firing at the other demons in the map and I heard that shrill cry followed by lots of stomping feet, I was a bit shocked.

Alas, disappointment followed shock as I killed Spidey in my first try - just BFG rushed the sonuvabiootch, *wham!**splat!* you win!

The rabbit ending, however, was awesome, mwahahaha!

BBG said:

Um, he's easier to kill than the Cyberdemon because you get a BFG in E3...

That, and he has 1000 less hit points (3000 versus the cybies 4000).

Could have been a cool boss, but somehow didn't pull it off as impressively as the cybie. The concept is fine - a big brain mastermind on cybernetic legs behind the whole invasion in his marble palace/arena in the heart of hell, but the execution of it wasn't quite right.

Enjay said:

That, and he has 1000 less hit points (3000 versus the cybies 4000).

And he doesn't have a rocket launcher. That's the one thing that makes the Cyberdemon the nightmare enemy he is. It didn't help much that you could barely see his rockets in that shitty 320x200 resolution.

The design didnt have any of the sort of style as the other enemies, so it has the misfortune of being the odd one out.

I think that to improve it, all the original enemies should be replaced with chaingun toting brains on stilts, so the spiderdemon can be the big daddy.

The one that takes forever to kill and longer to not be killed by?

I don't remember my first encounter with the SM being like that...

IDDQD, heh

The first time I offically fought the SM without any cheat was in Hell Reveiled, and well, in that level, I was out of its firing range and I had full rockets.