Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
King_Parliament

The first time you met the Spider Mastermind...

It would be a great boss if...

1. The SM had about 5 plasma rifle...
2. I had more health than the Cyberdemon.
3. Once it diesm it lets out about 8 arachnotrons...

That'd be a challenge.

Ichor said:

I'd rather increase it's rate of fire. Twice as fast maybe? The bullets would do the same amount of damage, but it would kill you a lot quicker.

I agree with you. Thats why I did somthing like that to Spidie in Cube.

I was not shocked when i met it. I just shot it with abunch of rockets, and it was all over.

The SM would be better if it had 4 chainguns ( all at a fast rate of fire.), about 2000 more hit points, and maybe the abillity to produce an acroanch or what ever they are.

( a SM that has a chainsw, and rockets would be cool too!!!)

--_-_-__-_--_-_-_ |----

Well, by the time I had gotten the full version of DOOM, I was already skipping the original levels to find IWADS. I probably had a collection of about 5000 of them on CD's, and more from teh Interweb. So the first time I actually came across the SM I was probably in God Mode. A few years later I challenged myself to play through all four episodes THE RIGHT WAY-- no cheats on UV. 13,596 savegames later, I'd adjusted my strategy enough. E3M8 rolled around, and I expected a satisfying challenge. I was thoroughly disappointed.

id could've been a bit more creative by having TWO or THREE SM's in the last level, not requiring that much more added to the ending text. At least then the player would have a harder time finding a safe camping spot and would have to watch his back more often.

Oh, and the SM didn't ever stop shooting at you to adjust his position, which is why it was so easy to blast him at long range.

VolteFace said:

A medium-sized group of chaingunners is worse than a Spider Mastermind.

Yes, this can be very bad, but its nothing that a few rockets or a plasma burst cant kill. The Spider Master Mind took one hell of an ass kicking befor it died, and this is if you live through it...

Sod the player-vs-spidey/cybey; get them into a fight on 'Gotcha!' and start taking bets.

Spike said:

Sod the player-vs-spidey/cybey; get them into a fight on 'Gotcha!' and start taking bets.

Um, wouldn't Cybie always win that fight?
Iirc, I only ever got Spidey to win that one when I interfered, by smacking Cybie in the back with my db shotty at crucial moments.

dsm said:

Um, wouldn't Cybie always win that fight?
Iirc, I only ever got Spidey to win that one when I interfered, by smacking Cybie in the back with my db shotty at crucial moments.

Alternatively, hit the switch and release an Archie. Always funny to watch.

The spider-demon doesn't always lose on MAP20, it all depends if the Cybie gets pain frames all the time. I even once had it (without any interfering) that the Spider-demon killed the Cybie, and still had HALF of his hitpoints left. But usually, yeah, the Cybie wins.

Another thing it depends on is which monster shoots the other first. If you go around behind the Cyberdemon and let the Spiderdemon shoot at me, the Spiderdemon will have a head start and has a better chance of winning. If you go around the other way behind the Spiderdemon, it's almost a sure bet that the Cyberdemon will win, since he'll be at least three rocket blasts ahead before the Spiderdemon even has a chance to fight back.

Perhaps an even better way is to wake them up first, then go around the Cyberdemon (dodging rockets of course). The Spiderdemon will also try to attack me, but because the Cyberdemon is busy trying to stick a rocket in my ear, he won't turn around and fight the Spiderdemon quite as soon. In such cases, the Spiderdemon has a very good chance of winning and still be a nuisance to you afterward.

0-Mephisto-0 said:

The spider-demon doesn't always lose on MAP20, it all depends if the Cybie gets pain frames all the time. I even once had it (without any interfering) that the Spider-demon killed the Cybie, and still had HALF of his hitpoints left. But usually, yeah, the Cybie wins.

Meh, it's ages since I tried pitting the two of them together and all I remember is that Cybie pretty much always won.

But whatever...

Actually, I think the best way to balance out the Mastermind's weaponry would be to give him a plasma rifle that fired as rapidly as Doomguy's, while the Mastermind retains its ability to track Doomguy's movements with his weapon. That way, his weaponry is beefed up quite a bit, without the potential unfairness or annoyance of an accurate hitscan weapon. If if had three plasmaguns in a spread formation like this, it could potentially be extremely difficult to avoid its shots, thus making it a much more challenging and strategy-based battle. It would also make it a lot more difficult to simply BFG-charge him and end the battle really quickly. I don't think you'd even need to give him extra hitpoints or speed at that point.

Of course, the most evil thing to do would be to give him quadruple Revenant-rocket launchers that fire fairly quickly. :)

Actually, the worst thing you can do is to make all but a tiny portion of his brain or perhaps the underbelly invulnerable, and keep everything else the way it is.

I'd go for just a sprite overhaul, the D3 spider concept art looks much more in keeping with the original doom monsters than the bizzare meccano contraption that it used to be.

It would be nice to add different attacks though, that would force you to keep changing your strategy. It would be a better fight that even the cyberdemon if you actually had to think a bit more.

If if had three plasmaguns in a spread formation like this,

Heh, I know how to DeHackEd this too. I feel special.

Maybe I'll try this out and let you all know how it works . . . If someone esle doesn't get to it first.

chilvence said:

It would be nice to add different attacks though, that would force you to keep changing your strategy. It would be a better fight that even the cyberdemon if you actually had to think a bit more.

Also true.

Okay, triple plasma rifles AND Revenant rockets. >:)

hat the most annoying enemies in that game are the archvile and the relvant, or is it reverant i dunno, the bone thing the tracking missiles, while dodgeable were still quite a distraction with tons of other monsters fillowing you, or in big open places. and the flame attack of the arch-vile needs no explanation

ps what is every ones obsesion with rail guns?

I think he reacts slow enough as it is. I'd rather decrease his reaction time then increase it.

Oops, that was a mistake. Heh, I meant to decrease the reaction time.

When I first met the Spider Mastermind, I didn't realise it was actually him until I got up close. I concentrated mainly on the nearby cacodemons, stocked up on the ammo provided on the ledge and went towards it.

When I came into contact with him, I backed well back, then fired and fired, strafing to and from his view behind the middle building.

It was a heart - pounding experience.

I saw a Spider Mastermind (3000 H.P) not trapped at all get defeated by a Trooper (60 H.P)! The Spider was undamaged. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to record lmp's so I do not have a demo. Anyways, isn't that shocking?

The first time I saw this monster, I said, "wow, he looks cool" and "He must be hard to kill." But, he was pretty easy to kill once you figure out how to dodge the bullets. Otherwise, I find that the Cyber demon is much harder to kill 1. Because he's got more HP and 2. Hist rockets are fast and explosive meaning you have to dodge them a lot more than a bullet. I would have to say that I'd rather face 2 SM's than 1 CD

LOL, I would rather fight a Cyberdemon than an Arachnotron. Arachno's fire more rapidly and their plasma cells are much faster.

Oh, and BTW, two Spider Masterminds are easy since you can get them to fight each other.

When I first walked into Dis and walked around, and heard the noise, I was just like "omfg what was that???" And then when I saw the giant spider I sorta panicked...until I realized all it had was a chain gun. Ok, yeah, pull that bfg out, fire it at its face, watch it die. Jesus that sucked.

King_Parliament said:

Hey, remember him? The big, ugly Brain-On-Legs with the minigun? The one that takes forever to kill and longer to not be killed by? I'm sure we all do. I'm also sure we all agree he's harder than Mr. Cybie Demon, as you can dodge the rockets. Bullets... Not much so.

The first time I met him, my response was along the lines of "HOLY CRAP!" as my character was swiss-cheesed by bullets and cut down at medium range. I have since been only able to beat him while cheating, but I haven't tried fighting him in a fair battle since age 9. That will change soon.

Anyone remember? About what the evil prick did to Daisy? Anyone?

You don't have to answer this question if you don't want to, but how old are you now?