Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
warlock_user

Most under rated game?

I noticed an "overrated" thread so, what the hell? I guess you can pick games that you like that no one has ever even heard of (i.e. Zork).

Mine? Armed and Dangerous. Cool game, not enough hype. =D

warlock_user said:

(i.e. Zork).

what?

and i second that underdogs link, although it might be a bad idea to post it.

pregnant with worms said:

Yeah, watch me get banned

In no particular order:

"Wimbledon" and "Donald Duck: The Lucky Dime Caper" for Game Gear.

"Law of the West" and "Atomix" for C64.

"Future Wars: Time Travellers" and "Speedball 2" for Amiga.

"SAM: Agent 006½" for PC (by Apogee!)

I wouldn't consider some of these to be *completely* unknown, but I've met very few people who've played them.

pregnant with worms said:

The Underdogs is almost entirely legal nowadays; they try to only make games downloadable if they have the permission of it's original creator/copyright holder. Otherwise it'll normally just give you a link to somewhere that you can (try to) buy it from.

If on the off chance there is an illegal file there, the relevant person/company only has to tell them and they'll remove it. For example, they used to have many of the old Sierra games hosted there, but gladly got rid of them when Sierra asked them to.

Anyway, to answer the original question, almost anything by Looking Glass Studios (Ultima Underworld series, System Shock series, Thief 1 & 2, etc), Sin, the entire Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series, Warcraft 3.

Jagged Alliance 2 is pretty underrated. As far as I know Finland is among the very few countries in which people actually bought that game. In it was voted game of the year too, but I haven't heard anyone else playing the game.

I guess Doom is pretty underrated too, at least today. I think it's easily the best fps game ever made, but the young players today usually say that half-life is the mother of all fps games.

Metroid Prime is extremely underrated too, I think it's the best or second best game in Gamecube.

DooMer 4ever said:

Metroid Prime is extremely underrated too, I think it's the best or second best game in Gamecube.

I don't think there's been a title since the start of this millennium that has received as much positive criticism as Metroid Prime has. There's no way it is underrated.

Rather overrated, if you ask me.

NiGHTMARE said:
the entire Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series

Seconded. But those games did recieve high praise... I'd still consider them to be underrated by many gamers.

Fredrik said:

I don't think there's been a title since the start of this millennium that has received as much positive criticism as Metroid Prime has. There's no way it is underrated.

Rather overrated, if you ask me.

True, it is highly rated by the game magazines etc, but I don't think it has sold as much as it deserves.

Kristian Ronge said:

Seconded. But those games did recieve high praise... I'd still consider them to be underrated by many gamers.

Yep, all the games I listed generally recieved high praise from magazines, website, etc, but they just didn't sell anywhere near as many copies as they should have. With one exception this was through absolutely no fault of their own or their developers'.

The one exception to that is Warcraft 3. The fact it's so under-rated is basically because Blizzard confused the hell out of everyone about what kind of game it was supposed to be, which ended up leaving a lot of people feeling extremely disappointed when they finally got to play it.

Trespasser was a really good game, just that everyone whined that the controls were too complicated. Aparently pressing a button to pick stuff up and very occasionally turning you arm left or right was too much for their first person shooter brains (omg! I keep dro0ping mi w4epoons wh3n 1 smsh mi fas3 agnst wa1l!!?!@!1? Thsi gam sukz! ;). I agree that clip detection was kinda bad (I once killed a raptor with a gun that somehow clipped directly into it's head brush causing it to take horrendus ammounts of damage. Not really a bad thing actually... :), but was incredible at the time they released it. :D

Hmmm... *goes to play trespasser again* ^_^

Trespasser. The game's controls weren't all that complicated. I thought the whole 'Jurassic Park alone' theme was quite charming. I wish they'd do the same thing again, except with a better engine.

Beneath a steel sky was good too, but I hardly find people who share that opinion. Not because so many people think it's a bad game, but probably due to it's unpopularity. Not many people know the game.

War3 has sold millions of copies.

By no means is it not receiving the amount of attention it deserves.

Excellent game, IMO, and I get a kick out of it.