Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShaneAmp

Multiple Functioning Sectors?

Is it possible that one of the source ports out there allows u to make a sector do 2 things at once IE. A colored, Green Lighting/ Acid sector that still causes damage, like the ones in the PSX version of Doom. I know Doomsday allows colored lighting with DEF files. I dunno how to write definition files, would that be the only way to do it, if so ill try and learn.

zdoom allows this, yes, and probably a lot of other ports going back to stuff as old as Boom. the only thing you can't do with sectors nowadays is make their floor move up and down at the same time (that would be weird) and uh, make them move sideways or change the shapes of the lines around them and stuff... yeah

One property is given normally (sector properties box in an editor) and the others are given through scripting (ZDoom, maybe Legacy too), special sector-property-giving linedefs (Boom) or definition files (JDoom).

Lighting-based property must be done normally (unless you want to try complex scripting to simulate them) and coloured lighting/fog must be done in the other ways (as they're not available in the sector properties box). The secret property (the one that makes a sector a secret) must be done normally, or through a special 'secret trigger' thing in ZDoom (this thing must be activated by scripting when the sector is entered).

Alright, thanx. Im real new to all this, but i pretty much understand that. The only problem though, i know nothing about scripting, any suggestions on a site that i could learn from? I have used Def files for Jdoom before, the ones that came with Doom 64 TC have colored lighting, but the only way i have been able to figure out how to simulate the way its done in PSX version is to attatch real thin sectors to the walls, make them colored, and then keep the main part of it normal. Thats very tedious though, so i figured there should be an easier way to do it.