Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
EarthQuake

Sinflux (a Zdoom modification)

I am starting a singleplayer Zdoom modification titled Sinful Influx (or Sinflux for short). In essence, it is a singleplayer-only version of my (in)famous survival/deathmatch level, The Sewers of Death (Download, Screenshot).

I've been working rather hard recently getting textures compiled, music collected, and dehacking out of the way. I already have a strong base for the levels; I'll probably be using scraps from wads I never managed to complete, along with a few levels created specifically for this project.

Currently standing, I have three monsters added, three weapons fully functioning, roughly 50 textures done, and a small amount of maps complete. As far as graphics, mapping, and dehacked go, I'm pretty sure I can handle all of it. I have so far, haven't I?
I have one flaw: I'm not very familiar with ACS. I would really appreciate anyone willing to give their time to help me with scripting. This mod doesn't require alot, although there are scripted marines, scripted dialogue, and complex monster spawning situations. Please contact me via PM here on the forums, or IRC on oftc.net in channel #zdoom.

Here is the official website:
http://www.realsimpsons.com/doomvault/sinflux

I would appreciate any comments/helpful criticism on the mod, story, ideas, or webpage. I would also like to hear what you might like to see in this mod. I'm always open to new ideas.

Well, I must go feed the pink gorillas now...
Thanks for reading!

Calling all trolls, before you start trying to act mega-cool-and-whatnot by using the newproject tag, make sure you check that the person doesn't have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of uses of the newproject tag that only succeeded in making the person using it look like a complete moron, because they did have something to show.

Sounds good, btw. Are these new weapons/monsters from Heretic/Hexen or dehacked monsters?

To answer your question, they are dehacked monsters/weapons.
The monsters are simply variations of already existing mosnters, and the weapons are modifications of the originals:

Fists are now the rifle w/ bayonet.
Pistol is now a rifle.
Chainsaw is now a machinegun in slot 4.
Chaingun is faster than the original.

I *may* use the goldwand from heretic to reinsert the pistol back into the game, although I think I already have too many hitscan weapons...

The fists were a direct conversion, however the pistol and chainsaw frames (particularly the chainsaw) had to be rewritten. All the new weapons have modified graphics from the Doom alphas. I had to do alot of the minor graphical details by hand. Patching this and this together, putting highlights on the muzzleflash sprites, etc..

To see details/screenshots about the monsters, visit the site.

After seeing what you can produce in 100 minutes, this looks like a promising project =)

One thing to consider when upping the chaingun speed is that although it seems underpowered normally, it's strength is in keeping monsters in their pain states. So by upping it you can find you end up with a weapon that allows you to stand still and yet kill a large monster.

I only decreased the delay by 1; this isn't like suprwep8.deh :)
I want the chaingun to be a very powerful weapon. It has never been viewed that way, as far as I can recall...

But, to keep things in check, the only way to combat the chaingun problem is to decrease the pain chance of the all the monsters I was going to feature in this mod. I was going to do that anyway, especially for the demons.

The reason I have so many hitscan weapons is because I want the player to gradually step up (kinda like in Wolfenstein). Eventually you'll end up finding the shotgun around the same time you find the machinegun, so that you have a variety of weapons to work with.

Bullet capacity will be increased, and everything else decreased. If things work out correctly, there will be two types of cells, one for the plasma rifle and one for it's *hint* *hint* "upgrade" (yeah, I finally decided on that 4th weapon ;)
The BFG will not be needed, since the majority of this wad will be somewhat claustrophobic.

One great thing about having all weapons dealing out a similar amount of damage is that you can focus on their other nuances, and make a weapon set which has different weapons well suited to different situations. IMO it shows a well designed weapon set when you see the player changing weapon quite a lot, according to situation.

Grimm said:

Yep. I killed a Cyberdemon with the Zombie Doom Beta minigun once. :/

I'm really looking for Zombie DOOM, do you know where can I download it? If not, hope not to disturb you, but, can you send me the imp-trooper zombie sprites to alexisaiello@hotmail.com?

If you do so, I'll send you some monster sprites that I made.

------
EarthQuake, I liked the screenshots, specially the third one. The last three look a bit underdetailed, try add some lights in the ceiling, and some supports in the walls.

The monsters I think that are fine, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea add a totaly invisible demon, I think that stealth monsters are annoying enough. May be fot you (that know where are they placed), it is fun, but for all the other players probably not (may be just in one or two situations, but no more).

I'm not sure if you have it present, but here is a list of unused things that can be used if you plan not to replace anything.

Dead lost soul
guts and bones 2
all the hanging corpse with or without the obstacle flag (just decide what do you prefer).

Grimm said:

I guess Doom 2 must suck, then.

It sucks more than Doom in terms of weapons, because the SSG upset the weapon balance (much as I love the gun). But I don't recall ever saying that a game instantly sucked if it's weapons weren't balanced.

The last three look a bit underdetailed, try add some lights in the ceiling, and some supports in the walls.

You are serious? :o
I thought it was apparent that everyone knew those last three were taken in a square test map. I was just showing off the new monsters, not the level. I'll assure you I know what I'm doing :)

The monsters I think that are fine, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea add a totaly invisible demon, I think that stealth monsters are annoying enough

I agree. I've been debating whether or not to implement him, but the more I think about it, the more I dislike the idea.
Stealth monsters!?! DOH! I totally forgot I was doing a Zdoom mod, heh. I'll be sure to have some stealth demons/barons in there. Thanks for bringing that up!

I'm not sure if you have it present, but here is a list of unused things that can be used if you plan not to replace anything.

I already am. The hanging corpses 1-3 are being used, and I'll probably re-add them via DECORATE lump. But then again, I could stop being a retard and use those that I wouldn't want to re-add anyways (like the dead lost soul). It would save a few KB and some time. Yea, I'll have to switch those around a bit. I only need 3 as of now.

One great thing about having all weapons dealing out a similar amount of damage is that you can focus on their other nuances, and make a weapon set which has different weapons well suited to different situations. IMO it shows a well designed weapon set when you see the player changing weapon quite a lot, according to situation.

This is exactly what I had in mind :)
This game requires you to be a careful player. You have to carefully plan out what you are going to do next and you'll actually have to use your automap (OMG!) and conserve your ammunition.
It's not a fast paced shoot-em-up, it's a survival-horror game.

By the way, the combat shotgun is most likely a secret weapon. It's way too powerful to be just lying around. Same goes for the plasma rifle and it's "upgrade".