Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

News on Multiplayer?

Well, the first news I heard on DOOM3(aside from tech stuff) had to do with it being SP-only. Then I looked up some pretty vague news on a multiplayer aspect of it. Something along the lines of Carmack adding in network code(almost as an afterthought) for basic DM capability.

My question is: is Co-op in the works at all? If I remember correctly, co-op was supposed to be the selling point of the original DOOM, or at least the feature the team hoped would be most popular. So, have they completely abandoned the idea of co-op? I've always found DM and the like to be fun and all, but working as a team is so much more fun for me.

Since it doesn't look like this is going to be happening, I hear teams are popping up left and right, ready to go to work with the editing tools to make the multiplayer aspect a bit more expansive. If there are any teams together who have a co-op expansion planned, I'd be glad to help out. As soon as the game's released, I'll be going to work on the scripting and mapping tools.

Whoever told you Doom 3 was ever intended as an sp-only game is a misinformed fool.
The official stuff always said focus was on sp, but there will be mp - some people just don't read news right and as such carry on to misinform entire communities.

Leaving my usual rant on this subject aside, Doom 3's mp is limited to four player Deathmatch and team deathmatch with two teams of two players.
The reason for the four player limit has nothing to do with technological limitations, rather it's a design decision made by Id to create a different kind of "standard" deathmatch that focuses on sneakier tactics and use of shadows and light.

There won't be coop unfortunately - this has been the official word since...about a year ago I think.

Ah well, if somebody does a cool coop mod (complete with levels designed for coop), I know I'm gonna be perfectly all right with it.

Also worth noting that the multiplayer isn't quite like the open server method of Quake and the like - all players must join at the same time in D3.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Also worth noting that the multiplayer isn't quite like the open server method of Quake and the like - all players must join at the same time in D3.

The latest info says otherwise, though.

Yeah, they tested the peer-to-peer system but weren´t satisfied with the results, so no it´s client-server again (said Tim Willits in a recent interview).

Well, the first word on D3(whether it was misinformation, deliberate misguiding by the team or whatever) was that Carmack and the guys had NO multiplayer planned. His words were that IF there were a MP aspect to the game, it would be a limited and feature-thin DM game. This seems to be the case.

At any rate, I can understand the peer-to-peer method of it(even if it was shafted), for this reason: if you had players joining at any point in the match, you'd have to speed up the gameplay to account for them jumping in. Then you have a run-and-gun style of play that undermines the hide-and-hunt flow of the SP experience. A stark contrast like that would confuse the point of the game.

This still works under a client-server basis, though. Think of Doom Connector-- you have the Lobby, you find a game, and when all the slots fill up you start the game. It can be locked to prevent people joining until the match ends.

This 4 player deathmatch idea, is a great idea imo, its like ID are taking multiplayer to a much better level, in which you have to think and be careful, rather than the Quake run, shoot, kill concept.

I'm guessing that they went back to client-server rather than peer-to-peer because of the mass firewall/NATing implementations clients have nowadays.

Lectrix said:

This 4 player deathmatch idea, is a great idea imo, its like ID are taking multiplayer to a much better level, in which you have to think and be careful, rather than the Quake run, shoot, kill concept.

Ahh, it's great to see another one who agrees with me. Yes, I love the idea. I've not been much into multiplaying for years, but it seems Doom 3 is gonna revive my interest in deathmatching.

Yeah DSM, deathmatch needs a new kick and i guess having 4 people per server will make lag a small problem, i hope to have a 2 on 2 battle with some off you lot, if i ever see you online :D

dsm said:

Ahh, it's great to see another one who agrees with me. Yes, I love the idea. I've not been much into multiplaying for years, but it seems Doom 3 is gonna revive my interest in deathmatching.

Count me in.

not for the xbox unfortunately, unless the port contains some new good ones.

lone crouton? rotfl!

The best Quake III players are very careful when they play.

I can see where people might pick up the assumption that Quake is all about just running around and blowing stuff up, and for a total novice, that might be true. Quake III is the most finely tuned DM experience in the world at the moment though.

Professionals play very ... professionally, and really put the amazing balance of weapons to use. It's really something to watch them play.

The one thing i don't want in doom 3 deathmatch, but it will be, is the stupid quake rocket physics. When someone will just shoot the floor and thats it your dead, or will shoot a rocket point blank in your face standing right in front of you and they won't get killed but you will. Happened all the time when i played Quake 2, i don't want it again.

mje said:

The best Quake III players are very careful when they play.

I can see where people might pick up the assumption that Quake is all about just running around and blowing stuff up, and for a total novice, that might be true. Quake III is the most finely tuned DM experience in the world at the moment though.

Professionals play very ... professionally, and really put the amazing balance of weapons to use. It's really something to watch them play.

Well sure, Quake 3 Arena is a good game, but it doesn't appeal to me all that much.

Doom 3 excites me, because the multiplayer seems different for a change - it's more about using the shadows and the light.

Could you elaborate on how exactly the proffs in Q3A play carefully? Do they use cover? Sneak around?

Lectrix said:

The one thing i don't want in doom 3 deathmatch, but it will be, is the stupid quake rocket physics. When someone will just shoot the floor and thats it your dead, or will shoot a rocket point blank in your face standing right in front of you and they won't get killed but you will. Happened all the time when i played Quake 2, i don't want it again.

To my ears, it sounds like you just weren't a very good player - God knows the Q2 rockets were slow enough. As for being run-shoot-kill: in 1v1 matches or teamplay, there is a large element of strategy and level control that comes into play. I've often won matches despite having a poorer aim than my opponent, because of my good resource control and strategy.

Anyway, back on topic, did anyone here play the Doom3 MP test at QuakeCon? I'd love to know more about it; Doom3 has got me real excited in that it sounds like it's going to be a new approach to deathmatch. I just hope they keep the games small online, and that 16player FFA slogfests don't start showing up everywhere.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I just hope they keep the games small online, and that 16player FFA slogfests don't start showing up everywhere.

Id is still remaining steadfast on the four-player limit, so 16 player "slogfests" won't happen in the officially released version - only in MP mods.

There'll probably be some cvar which the server can set, along the lines of the Quake-series "maxclients". Hopefully, the way that the bundled maps are designed will be enough to discourage this. I mean, most people seem to think bigger is always better, but personally I prefer smaller matches where run'n'gun gameplay is somewhat minimised.

dsm said:

Could you elaborate on how exactly the proffs in Q3A play carefully? Do they use cover? Sneak around?

Yes of course you sneak around and take cover in tourney and team deathmatch and other more tactical game modes. All the skills come into play: movement, timing, map control, aiming, prediction...

The only time Quake turns into a chaotic fragfest is in deathmatch on a crowded public server.

I've seen a few demos from the big Q3 tournaments and it basically comes down to two things : knowing your weapons and knowing the levels. And when I say knowing the levels, I mean these guys know every little bit of it. If a level designer forgot to trim a 4-pixel wide ledge somewhere, these guys are going to know about it and they will find a use for it. Heh, good times.

/me installs Q3 again

has anyone read about Quake 4? the most anticipated games of 2004 article had a blurb in it in the doom3 section