Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

Drink Driving

if you drive drunk you die. oviously this was not a lesson a friend had learned. even after 2 DUI's and one just 2 months ago. he is in the hospital after a near fatal accident.
depite that fact he is a clsoe friend, he got what he had asked for. he is lucky he didnt kill the couple who was leaving their home.
what i want to know is why this country seems to be extreamly "loose" on charging DUI's. honestly i think first offence should be loss of licence for no less than 5 years (hey driving is a privalage, not a right) second offence should be 10 years to even a life time ban. some coutries it is a life time ban of first offence and even a 10 year ban.

also he had just got out of court for a second DUI, drugs not alcohol for the first 2. this will be his third and hopefully his last. i hope he looses his licence for at least 5 years. another nail in the coffin for him besides felony charges for drugs, was he is under age.

so why are we putting these morons back on the roads?

anyways he is screwed, lost 1 eye (sewed shut and skin is grafted over it), unknown brain damage, broken neck, broken arm, lost feeling in left leg and grion (no feeling in penis, oh that has to suck) as well as many scars.

as i said he is luck that first he didnt kill on injure anyone else, and that he has his own life (but lost his sex life)

Oh man, yeah drunk driving is like awful dangerous (In our country, you get news of a drunk policeman killing someone every week, we have a ridiculously high number of deaths by car accidents), someone doing it should have a 10-year to a lifetime ban IMO. what happened to your friend is bad, but i guess he should have thought twice before going driving while being drunk.

yes and ironicly he was close to home, and infact could have hitched a ride with any of us. his part was only 2 miles away.

another ironic part of this story is that all of us where near the area he was leaving from at the time he left. i was dropping off a computer, his brother was at a friends house, his dad was with his girlfriend, and girlfriend (they will not last sence he cant grow up) was at her grand mothers, just 5 miles away. I was the only one without a cell phone, he could have called any of the others.

also 2 nights prior i had a dream about him being put into a coma due to an accident, guess i called that one

DUI laws definately need to be tighter. I'm thinking more along the lines of restricting alcohol access than driving rights though. 'Course, that's harder to enforce.

Drunk driving is definately a problem, but if society really cared about it as a problem and not exploiting it as something to make money with, there would be more prventative measures put in place to make sure that people don't drive drunk. I think the cost of such measures would be worthwhile in the long run in terms of lives saved. I understand that bars are forms of recreation, but wouldn't it make more sense to have laws pertaining to perhaps, designated drivers. Something to prevent people from getting being the wheel in the first place. Or mandatory blow boxed for first time offenders. It would not be logical to have them stock in all cars... for people who don't drink this would be really a bother, but if you fuck up one, there will be a reminder everytime you drive. Nothing of course would be fool proof (there was a chick I knew that just had other people blow in her box after drinking all day at work forthe ride home) but it would save a lot more lives that way. I think there should be a mandated designated driver law though. It would be more inconvienent for those who choose to drink, but it would save a lot of lives and that seems more worth it.

It would probably cost more, and would never ever ever happen, but it makes me wonder why at least something more of a preventative measure is not put in place. Punishemnts are fine, but people have already lost their loved ones by that time, and someone has ruined their own life.

The reason nothing has changed is because it's so deeply entrenched in American culture. Not to mention all the money behind it. If politcians had any balls, they would simply turn it into: Provide a designated driver or lose your liquer license. But will that ever happen? No. Money will keep on being made, and another one will bite the dust . . .

Scabbed Angel said:

Drunk driving is definately a problem, but if society really cared about it as a problem and not exploiting it as something to make money with, there would be more prventative measures put in place to make sure that people don't drive drunk. I think the cost of such measures would be worthwhile in the long run in terms of lives saved. I understand that bars are forms of recreation, but wouldn't it make more sense to have laws pertaining to perhaps, designated drivers. Something to prevent people from getting being the wheel in the first place. Or mandatory blow boxed for first time offenders. It would not be logical to have them stock in all cars... for people who don't drink this would be really a bother, but if you fuck up one, there will be a reminder everytime you drive. Nothing of course would be fool proof (there was a chick I knew that just had other people blow in her box after drinking all day at work forthe ride home) but it would save a lot more lives that way. I think there should be a mandated designated driver law though. It would be more inconvienent for those who choose to drink, but it would save a lot of lives and that seems more worth it.

Something like that would be needed (better still, a legal drink-drive limit of precisely 0 - which has been advised in the UK before now), but (unfortunately) when was saving lives a priority for the American government? Particularly when it would affect corporate profits? (alcohol, car, oil and law companies in particular)

For new years eve, the city of Columbus GA (where i live) had a program called Safety Cab. what it was was a free ride home between the hours of like 6pm to 6am, dec31 to jan1st. i bet that saved a lot of lives and injuries due to drunk driving.

you got to ask, how many of our law makers have been guilty of driving drunk?

i can asure you that it is alot. i am not anit-alcohol, i like a drink now an then, i am just ANIT-MORON.

I have ridden in cars where the driver has been stoned, but I would NEVER drive with a driver who has had any beer. Seriously, I don't fuck around like that.

BBG said:

I have ridden in cars where the driver has been stoned, but I would NEVER drive with a driver who has had any beer. Seriously, I don't fuck around like that.

Uh, it sounds like you already fucked around like that.

Scabbed Angel said:
...Or mandatory blow boxed for first time offenders...

Over here, if they think you’ve been drinking,. You get the breathalyser. Not a bad idea... IMO.

maybe if public transport continued through the night, maybe if fucking taxis' stopped charging twenty five fucking quid for a 16 mile jag, maybe then people would stop drinking and driving.

BBG said:

I have ridden in cars where the driver has been stoned, but I would NEVER drive with a driver who has had any beer.

i had a fair amount of scotch and beer while working together on a paper at some guy's place off-campus last term (he drank about as much as i did), and it would've been far more suicidal for me to try to walk home through all that then to just get a ride with him.

darknation said:

maybe if public transport continued through the night, maybe if fucking taxis' stopped charging twenty five fucking quid for a 16 mile jag, maybe then people would stop drinking and driving.

Exactly. I hate the way public transport stops so early on friday/saturday nights.

BBG: Being stoned while driving is hardly a good thing. For instance, I've never known anybody's co-ordination or reflexes to improve when stoned.

darknation said:

Yeah. And maybe if they didnt CUT ALL THE FUCKING PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION FUNDS here (Washington state)in favor of eliminating car taxes, we'd actualy have busses to ride in that didnt cost half your wallet. Fucking Americans and their stupid cars. I hate cars.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Exactly. I hate the way public transport stops so early on friday/saturday nights.

BBG: Being stoned while driving is hardly a good thing. For instance, I've never known anybody's co-ordination or reflexes to improve when stoned.

I've known people who were so fucked they couldn't walk... but they could skin the perfect joint.

How's that for stoned co-ordination?

Admittedly, skinning up is one of the abilities which seems to remain unaffected, but then skinning up isn't really comparable to driving. I still stand by my original point.

darknation said:

hmmm, I guess that's one thing I can like about my city...