Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Melfice

Q3A Map Under Construction

I'm sure you all probably remember when I had first started mapping Quake 3 and put some screenies up here, etc. Well I've advanced quite a bit since then. Right now I'm working on a map called Darksteel and its a medium-large map with various weapons and a Quad Damage. Lots of effects in it. I'm 3/5 the way done, so I thought I'd post some screenshots.

Should be done by Sunday.

Meh, I thought that was just for Doom wads, I totally forgot you could put other games up there...even though I'm willing to bet that most people would be looking at the Doom stuff before the Other Games stuff, therfore not very many people seeing it.

Looks alright visually, can't see too much though - I like the first screenshot. Spiral staircases are dreadful for DM though - use a lift or something... they are cumbersome to climb and tend to kill pace.

Actually it is supposed to be dark. However I can assure you that its not going to be so dark that you can't see your opponent, or that pathways and doors leading out of dark areas will usually be lit so you can see where to go. As for the spiral stair case, I think I'll leave it in. I've used lifts and other stuff in other places in the level, the staircase is for flavor.

Blackfish, I'll msg you on AIM about beta testing since you asked about it :)

Melfice said:

Actually it is supposed to be dark. However I can assure you that its not going to be so dark that you can't see your opponent, or that pathways and doors leading out of dark areas will usually be lit so you can see where to go. As for the spiral stair case, I think I'll leave it in. I've used lifts and other stuff in other places in the level, the staircase is for flavor.

Blackfish, I'll msg you on AIM about beta testing since you asked about it :)

How central is the staircase to the flow? It may be for flavour, but if it's going to be quite essential to moving around the level it will get annoying for players.

It's not very essential, its really an alternate rout to a very large room that has like 4 ways to enter it.

Melfice said:

It's not very essential, its really an alternate rout to a very large room that has like 4 ways to enter it.

Sounds fine then. I love maps which have a lot of interconnectivity, a principle I always try to adhere to in my Q3 exploits. What's your favourite vanilla Q3 map?

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Sounds fine then. I love maps which have a lot of interconnectivity, a principle I always try to adhere to in my Q3 exploits. What's your favourite vanilla Q3 map?

Mine would have to be the Apocalypse Void ;)

Bloodshedder said:

Uh, since WIP is pretty much intended as a Doom version of the Pipeline (a site for screenshots of Quake maps), surely that would be a far more logical choice?

WIP is for other games too, yes, but AFAIK those other games are Heretic, Hexen & Strife :) Oh, and for some reason Cube, even though the Pipeline also accepts Cube maps ;)