Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord of the Noobs

Mah First Post and WAD... coming along rather well.

Hey everyone. I'm quite new here, but I've been playing Doom for a long time off and on. I've finally gotten a BIT of skill at the game, and now I want to make my own WAD. The current, and might I say ORIGINAL name for it is Doom 3.... I'll change it when I can think of something better. The project is 32 levels of Doom, starting small and easy, then getting very hard. I'm still learning how to use WadAuthor, so my levels aren't up to ID's standard. Level 3 (the one I just completed) is rather hard on Ultra-Violence. Please PM me if you want to try the 3 levels I've completed... since I don't know how to compile multi-level WADs, I just cloned TNT and am replacing the levels one by one. The file is too big for me to put on my crappy little website (bloody bandwidth). Well, I hope a few of you will give me some advice, as I am a total newb to Doom on the internet... I've never even played Deathmatch =\

~Tony

I don't know. The intelligence level of the post is inconsistent with that of his username (which is a good thing, by the way). As for his project: sure, I'll try it.

Might i suggest u drop wadauthor.
Its good to start off with but then the whole register thing just blows.
If u want Editor like wadauthor but just as good i suggest Doombuilder.codeimp.com u can find it up their.It's completely free,has 3d edting(u need a good vid card and directx8.1 or higher for this where u can roam around in ur map and edit 3dly without drawing or anything,good for aligning textures proparly).
Also if ur new to doors and stairs or just plain drawing sectors i recommend Deepsea,sbsoftware.com

As for you though,good luck on the project.
O and btw [\newproject]

ShadowRunner said:

Might i suggest u drop wadauthor.
Its good to start off with but then the whole register thing just blows.

Isn't it to the mappers themself to pick what editor they want to use?

ShadowRunner said:

Yes but i dont think they want to buy 30 bucks or w/e for a map editor to a old game.it was just a suggestion anyways.

You only have to re-install wadauthor once in a month after installing it, which means you only have to do that 12 times a year - it isn't a big issue.

Heh... sorry about my name... I'm not some retard \/\/|-|0 7`/935 1||<3 7|-||5. That's just plain silly. Anyway, I seem to be doing okay with WadAuthor as of now... it hasn't bugged me about regisering yet, but I've only had it for about a week or two. Well, thanks very much for the reples, and I'll continue to work on my WAD. I hope to hear feedback soon from those who get it from me. Oh, just contact me over AIM (StrSpector) or MSN (googleplex55@hotmail.com). I can send it to you through one of those two, as the WAD is too big to email through Telus... stupid Telus.

~Tony

I don't use MSN, AIM, or ICQ, so there's no way to send it that way. By the way, this may just be a silly question, but is this wadfile zipped?

It's not zipped as of yet, mainly because only 3 of the 32 levels are done... that's almost 11%. Man, there's gotta be a way I can send you the file. It'll eat bandwidth on my website like candy, and I don't want to have to re-upload it everytime I make a tweak. Oh well, it'll have to do for now =\ It will be up soon.

~Tony

Then just zip up the three maps that you've done so far and send it by email. It should be small enough to get through when it's in a zip file.

Eh, what the heck, let's give it a try. Oh, and if I do get it sent, please don't begrudge me for the level quality. They're my FIRST three maps, and I will try to add in a lot more detail from now on. Aight, time to get cracking then. TTYL

~Tony

I'm sure most people here started out with maps worse than that. In fact, some maps reviewed recently are so bad, that they are to mock2 what Mock 2 is to Daedalus.

I dunno what you're really talking about, but that sounds BAD O_O Well, if you're a good DooM player, play them on Ultra-Violence to make things interesting :D Just gotta zip it up now....

~Tony

Why not just put them in their own wad? It's illigal to distribute stuff that has iwad files in it. That's why it's 17mb.

Oh and btw the file shouldnt have spaces.

I managed to extract all of your maps and put them in a separate wadfile here. What was once over 7 MB is now a mere 83 KB. Yours was the Evilution iwad with all of its resources, except the first three maps that were yours. Because of that, I'll have to edit out the link in your post.

As for the maps themselves, they were nice for a first attempt. My only complaint is being trapped in a small cage with an Arch-Vile, a Baron of Hell, and a bunch of dead Revenants. Not fun if you aren't prepared, but it's a real challenge when you know it's coming.

I played the levels and they were a good try for first attempts. Here are some issures.

- Don't use wacky shaped doors.
- Make the levels more than 1 height.
- Add more ammo!
- Detail! Detail! Detail! It's the key to good looks.
- Some of the rooms were pretty cramped.

Edit: This site outta be useful to you.

http://wip.paci-fist.org

I thought there was plenty of ammo and health. Except in the beginning, I didn't even come close to running out of more than one type. I did run low on rockets on a couple of occasions, but I was firing them at the Revenants on map 3. That map was certainly good rocket dodging practice.

Sorry =\ I went through the whole WAD (aside from my levels) and deleted every level. That was a total accident... BTW, I have no idea how to make multi-level WADs... I need some help with that =\ Oh, thanks very much for da linkz :D Oh, by the way, I'd like you guys to rate my levels (please be kind =P)... I have names for them. Level 1 - Military Hanger. Level 2 - Power Station. Level 3 - Blitz. Coming soon: Level 4 - Jail, and Level 5 - The Shafts.

~Tony

Not sure if Blackfish meant "multi-level-wads"... I haven't seen your work, but I suppose he's talking about some more differenses in sectors' heights.

Dunno if I'm spelling right, but whattahell.

Question for Lord of the n00bs: is this really your first wad, or the first one you're planning to release? See, I'm working on a megawad, and besides the demo of it I've only ever released one other level. But I did several other levels before that, none of them really decent enough for submission to /newstuff. My point is, maybe you ought to toy around with some smaller level ideas before doing a megawad.

Also, one-man megawads take a lot of time and effort... that's one thing I've learned over the past year or so (and I'm not done yet). If you think you need to (or can't wait to) show something, release a demo wad like I did.

I would absolutely agree with your editor choice, but that's irrelevant. There have been plenty of debates over which editor to use, but they all come down to one conclusion: to each his own. I've learned to not mention my editor in my posts unless it's absolutely necessary (because inevitably someone's gonna give you crap about it sooner or later). Anyway, I'm gonna play the 3-level thing now.

Oh, and to do multi-levels, you'll need Wintex. But play around with WadAuthor for awhile first before trying that. :-/

EDIT: Played the wad.
This is, of course, in addition to BlackFish's comments:
* A couple new motifs would work wonders. All three maps have a single motif to them, which isn't bad for a first map, but gets rather uninteresting later on. Fool around with all the textures and flats, and see if you can't come up with a good-looking wad. :)
* You have to provide clues to the secrets; the only reason I found them all was by using the computer map cheat.
* On that note, it's not a great idea to put all the best weapons behind secret doors, either. Keep in mind that some people won't find ANY of the secrets, and they still need to be able to play.
* Teleports that will trap you in a certain area of the level get on some peoples' nerves (mine, for one). You did this in level 2, with the teleport that went to the exit area.