Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Illdo

When you met the Archie for the first time...

I pissed in my pants.
No, really.
Then he started to make all those fiery tricks and I thought, "Oh my dear! He'll turn me into ashes!" And this was only for confusing me. The real nightmare was his REAL attack with flying me in the air. And then, when I met him next time, he resurrected the fallen Arachno. Then I cried for my friend*.

* He's a real Doom God.

It was a very nice day in MAP11 when I suddenly found him on the Blue Key room. I thought "Holy crap, who the fuck is that monster?".

I remember that my little brother saw Doom 2 before me (he saw it over at a friend's) and he descibed this tall, thin monster which moved very fast and in a vary "dangly and limpless" manner, and which could set you on fire in a very cool way.

That little fool mixed up the Archie and the revenant (archie with the fire attack, revenant with the "dangly and limpless" movement), but he got my attention with that description nonetheless.

I saw a screenshot in a gaming mag showing the archvile attacking a baron and I was like "swwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttt!"

Of course, when I first met him in person, he sent me into the air at least once before I nailed him. Then I didn't like him as much anymore :-P

I always thought Revanents were dead Archviles. I also used to think they could resurrect monsters because of the description in the instruction book. :P

Ironically the first time I met him I didn't really notice how evil he is. Probably I just got lucky and finished him before he could do anything bad. The one in MAP14 was a completely different story, however. Until now the Arch-Vile is my second-most hated monster in Doom (right after the Cyberdemon) even though by now I know all the methods to get rid of them without risking too much.

Ironically the first time I met him I didn't really notice how evil he is.

Yeah, same here.

Heh, the first time I met the archville is obvious, MAP11, but the first time I _noticed_ his ability to resurrect monsters was in Memento Mori MAP28, after completing Doom2, Evilution and Plutonia. Well, I was using the IDFA cheat then so it's not _that_ weird_ :)

I first me him, and i was like.. woooo. He burnt me three time befor i dropped him dead.

The first time I saw the Archville resurrecting another monster was in MAP20. I thought it was a dehacked feature cause I was using an .DEH file at the moment.

Nobody's made a topic about what they did when they first saw the pistol-zombies. Maybe I should go make a topic about it. *New Topic*

Mivalekan said:

Nobody's made a topic about what they did when they first saw the pistol-zombies. Maybe I should go make a topic about it. *New Topic*

I think, the reaction is almost the same for everyone: Bang, bang, Zombie's dead! No new topic is necessary. :-P

It cannot resurrect other Arch-Viles, spider masterminds, cyberdemons, pain elementals or lost souls. But all the other monsters can be resurrected by it.

actually it can resurrect PE's if they are crushed by a crushing ceiling since that's the only way to get them to leave a corpse. This might be the case for lost souls as well, but I can't remember.

this also results in nearly invulverable ghost monsters that can walk through walls and only be killed by splash damage from rockets or barrels

Wouldn't that work for any of the other monsters he can't normally resurrect?

any enemy without respawn frames can't be resurrected (archies lack it, as to cybers and masterminds)... I believe there are some explicit checks in there too, let me poke around the source a sec... brb

edit: okay yeah, the code checks if something has a respawn state, if it's moving (ie a sliding body) and if it's got the corpse bit set (so it doesn't resurrect living monsters or decorations)

I knew about the code (I borrowed some of it). What I didn't know was if they somehow overlooked some respawn frames as they were making changes.

Cyb said:
actually it can resurrect PE's if they are crushed by a crushing ceiling since that's the only way to get them to leave a corpse.

Hehe, yeah, I always forget that cool exception to the rule.

Cyb said:

(so it doesn't resurrect living monsters or decorations)

I remember that I felt it was a pity it couldn't resurrect marine corpses as zombies - heh, that'd been pretty neat.

Cyb said:

actually it can resurrect PE's if they are crushed by a crushing ceiling since that's the only way to get them to leave a corpse. This might be the case for lost souls as well, but I can't remember.

this also results in nearly invulverable ghost monsters that can walk through walls and only be killed by splash damage from rockets or barrels

But not in ZDoom (where the AV cannot resurrect gibs at all.) And in most other source ports only when their backwards-compatibility options are set. Thank god, I really *hate* these ghosts (and if this still would work in source ports I'd dump the level the moment I saw an intentionally created ghost.)

map11, I went to the middle of the room, and he started burning me. I got out of his sight to get the flames away, and I took pot shots with my shotgun and chaingun till he died. I hate those things asides the revanents and cyberdemon.

Graf Zahl said:

But not in ZDoom (where the AV cannot resurrect gibs at all.) And in most other source ports only when their backwards-compatibility options are set.

I think in Jdoom you can't turn off ghost monsters, but I could be wrong. I personally think ghost monsters are quite cool.

Before i met the archvile i had always assumed that it was a boss character because from the sources that i heard about him, it seemed like a central character in the game.

Then i bought the doom collector's edition and encountered it for the first time on map16. I decided to let it kill me, just to see what it does. Afterwards when i respawned i nuked it in one go with a bfg. I found it a bit odd since i believed that it was a boss character, that's when i realised that it wasn't a boss character.

Other than that it was awesome.

I remember that I felt it was a pity it couldn't resurrect marine corpses as zombies - heh, that'd been pretty neat.

Damn that would be cool. id shoulda thought of that. Oh well, I'll just have to do it . . . :) (Heh, of course, I'll have to overcome some technical dificulties.)

I first met the Archville on level 11. I think I just turned on Doom2 and pissed myself. (I was about 8 years old.)

Heck, my younger brothers call the Revenant a skeleton and the Archville and fire skeleton.

I remember it well.. :) What follows is a (VERY) lengthy description.

I also met him in map11 for the 1st time. I wasn't using mouse at the time. I was at that point in my dooming skills where I was using a gravis gamepad (I wore through 5 of those things playing doom/doom2 before I finally switched to mouse and became a god). I came into the room. I had the ol' buckshot with about 20 shells. As soon as I pushed the switch, the 1st thing I thought was "What the fuck IS that thing??" This tall, golden freak with a gnome-hood for a head was running around the room as if he was high on something. I fired a shot. It didn't even phase it. I saw it raise its hands. Fire washed over me. I thought I was losing health and ran for it. I suppose I did the right thing without knowing it. Once I was out of his sight, I remembered the description in doom2's manual:

"One of the worst of a bad lot. You can't think of enough rotten things to say about him. He's fast, hard to kill, casts spells, and resurrects dead monsters! At least these suckers are rare."

Then I remembered something from a doom2 strategy guide I had once read out of boredom. Once it starts attacking, get out of its sight or his BFG-like attack will turn you into "marine flambe."

My first impulse was to go to the window from below and spend all my shells sniping him with the boomstick and ducking for cover every time he started a fire. My second was to get back in there and kick his ass before he resurrects too many monsters (there was a dead Cacodemon right next to the room's entrance). Me being the crazy, pissed-off person who's always looking for a new arsehole to rip, I charged right back in there and nailed him twice more with my buckshot. The fucker was still alive. I backed up. He stopped right in the doorway and started his attack. I tumbled down the ladder before he could finish it. I heard a strange gibbing sound, like the one I sometimes hear when an imp meets the business end of my rocket launcher. As I ran back up the ladder, hoping that in a couple of more shots he'd die, I saw him standing over the cacodemon with his hands outstretched, as if he was giving the demon its last rights before cremating it. But the arch-vile did not cremate it. It reversed the cacodemon from a blue, bloody mess back into a floating gasbag in need of an orthodontist. This act alone was what eventually led me to the habit of saving at least one bfg blast or 5-10 rockets whenever I could, just in case I'd ever meet up with another one of the piss-colored bastards.

Ok, so there I was with the revived cacodemon and a creature who made molotov cocktails look like firecrackers. The first thing that flashed through my mind was the caco. The second was the arch-vile. The third was my 14 shells. The caco was descending the stairs after me. The arch-vile was still up there. I rushed down the stairs, went around and rushed up the other flight of stairs. The archvile paused over a sergeant's body. His hands were again turning blood red. My thumb twitched at the same instant the sergeant was revived. The archvile flew to pieces. Then I got capped by the sarge as I was frantically reloading my buckshot. I think I might have absorbed every fiber of the shell, as I went from 100% to under 70%. Half a second later, he received both barrels of my buckshot. Two seconds after that, the gasbag got acquainted as well.

I suppose I'm lucky I didn't get hit by the arch-vile. I'd later find out that its attack was far worse than a shotgun guy. This has been a page from the memories of someone who loved, and still loves, doom/doom2 with all his heart.