Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueSonnet

The Doom 3 cacodemon

Since no screenies have been revealed on the doom 3 cacodemon and how it seems inevitable that there'll be a cacodemon in doom3, i decided to draw up what i think the thing might look like.

Generally i'd imagine that the caco should look disgusting and not look "neat and tidy" like the doom64 caco or a cyborg style like the new lost souls. What i mean is that those looks kinda seemed normal whilst the original look was corrupted with foulness and suited the word caco (unpleasant, or evil). I've kept the huge boils on the back whilst adding a sticky webbing around the back body and the hinge of the jaw, to make it look gross.

Other than that i'm half expecting everyone to disagree with this look. To me it doesn't quite seem like something that id would knock up. Tell me what you think.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/4882125/

I think it stands on its own as a good monster, theres definately something unnatural about having the eye where you would expect a nose (in a good way I mean)

Interesting design. Though it looks a bit like a penis. Heh, someone was going to say it. You know that. ;)

Sorry to disappoint you Bluesonnet, but I don't think this one looks like a fitting Doom 3 caco.

The art in itself is nice, however, but I hope that the Doom 3 cacodemon will be more like the floating ball the original and the D64 caco were. This one somehow reminds me more of a snake monster of sorts.

It could be an interesting TC monster (for classic Doom I mean).

My own idea of what the caco could look like to fit Doom 3 would be something like this:
Same basic shape as the original (roundish, big) with huge spikes sticking out of its hide (they took the spikes away from the imp, but there was a good reason for that - for the caco, however, there's no reason to take the spikes away). It'll look really gross and slimy. It's scaly boils seem to cover a disgusting mass of tentacles worming around underneath its scaly hide.

It has a jumpled mass of disgusting insect-eyes that all make up one big eye near the centre of its "face" and it has a large mouth with totally malformed teeth (no, the teeth of the original would look "nice and proper" in comparison). Whenever it opens its mouth, it will reveal extra rows of "teeth-like", bony growths just as malformed as its "front row" of teeth and disgusting tentacles will kinda lash out of the mouth, stretching towards you, all covered by electricity.

That's more or less my vision. And it's an invitation to anyone to try and do a drawing of it (I can't be bothered these days) :-)

dsm said:

Sorry to disappoint you Bluesonnet, but I don't think this one looks like a fitting Doom 3 caco.

The art in itself is nice, however, but I hope that the Doom 3 cacodemon will be more like the floating ball the original and the D64 caco were. This one somehow reminds me more of a snake monster of sorts.

It could be an interesting TC monster (for classic Doom I mean).

My own idea of what the caco could look like to fit Doom 3 would be something like this:
Same basic shape as the original (roundish, big) with huge spikes sticking out of its hide (they took the spikes away from the imp, but there was a good reason for that - for the caco, however, there's no reason to take the spikes away). It'll look really gross and slimy. It's scaly boils seem to cover a disgusting mass of tentacles worming around underneath its scaly hide.

It has a jumpled mass of disgusting insect-eyes that all make up one big eye near the centre of its "face" and it has a large mouth with totally malformed teeth (no, the teeth of the original would look "nice and proper" in comparison). Whenever it opens its mouth, it will reveal extra rows of "teeth-like", bony growths just as malformed as its "front row" of teeth and disgusting tentacles will kinda lash out of the mouth, stretching towards you, all covered by electricity.

That's more or less my vision. And it's an invitation to anyone to try and do a drawing of it (I can't be bothered these days) :-)

[D&Dnerd]dsm, that sounds a lot like a beholder. Not that that's a bad thing, just an observation. It'd still make a good cacodemon for Doom III.[/D&Dnerd]

Job said:

[D&Dnerd]dsm, that sounds a lot like a beholder. Not that that's a bad thing, just an observation. It'd still make a good cacodemon for Doom III.[/D&Dnerd]

The Cacodemon and subsequently, the pain elemental is largely inspired by the Beholder (yes, I know the cacodemon came directly from this D&D monster which basically had a cacodemon as a head - don't recall exactly what it was called - 'something Juggernaut'), so there shouldn't be anything wrong with keeping the D3 caco related to its original roots :-)

I believe the Doom 3 cacodemon just needs to be a huge "ball" that floats and which has a big ugly mouth - other than this they could pretty much rewamp it entirely.

Another thing they could do would be to give its mouth some sorta "pinchers" of the sort that insects like praying mantices have. Think Predator (but with an obnoxious huge mouth).

It looks too pink IMO.

Honestly, I think the best way for Doom 3 to go about this is to create a much more detailed versnio of the original (like in the DW forums header). Personally, I think the cacodemon is one of Doom's trademarks. If they change it too much (or don't include it at all) then I feel the game won't be up to standards with it's first.

BlueSonnet said:

With what ungodly disease? The pic was good, but looks to Doom one-ish, though that's not a bad thing. I'm waiting to see how bad id will fuck this one up. There's not a whole lot that can be done to take the silliness out of the caco, and anything else might ruin it and as dsm said, he is a huge identifier of Doom and that would be bad. here's a thought: he'll look the same without an eye.

Scabbed Angel said:

here's a thought: he'll look the same without an eye.

Nooo, don't steal caco's eye! :-P

I think the Caco in DooM 3 should be pretty much the same as the good old killer balloon from hell.Just make him seem a bit more rough,spikey,and just more mean.

Caco-Puff said:

I think the Caco in DooM 3 should be pretty much the same as the good old killer balloon from hell.Just make him seem a bit more rough,spikey,and just more mean.

I doubt that'll happen.

Why the hell are they changing the demons looks in the new DOOM anyway?? Like what the fuck man! It's not DOOM if you change the evil in it... What are we gonna know next? That theres no bodies twitching on poles, or guys burnt barly alive bodies are no longer chained to walls? This sucks... It better not be pussy DOOM. Why'd they take the spikes of the Imp????

Fetus_Fucker said:

Why the hell are they changing the demons looks in the new DOOM anyway?? Like what the fuck man! It's not DOOM if you change the evil in it... What are we gonna know next? That theres no bodies twitching on poles, or guys burnt barly alive bodies are no longer chained to walls? This sucks... It better not be pussy DOOM. Why'd they take the spikes of the Imp????

Because the old monsters wouldn't look scary in the new engine that's why.
Also, they wouldn't be new and fresh - Doom 3 is not a remake, but a new game reusing an old concept.

I know what you mean about a new game with an old concept. By that, you mean a game thats brand new, recycling content, however, you mean that it's an old game with a new concept.

But thats silly, it won't make DOOM, DOOM.. You know what I mean? They have Cacodemons, but they arn't ACTUALLY Cacodemons, and they have Cyberdemons, but they arn't actually him either... So how's it DOOM? Sounds more like a different game with all the monsters renamed, the title changed, and some how the main charachter is a DOOM Marine...

Well then it sounds alot like Quake 3 Arena, with real single player...

So BASICALLY we can play DOOM III right now, by starting a Quake 3 server called "DOOM Names Only - Or Get Kicked" and have everyone name themselves after their favorite monster, and go on Red Team, but only picking the ugly models, none of the DOOM marines may be used.

Next, one guy picks our hero, perferably green, then goes on Blue Team.

Start Team DM.
----------------------

Does the BFG look the same? I havn't seen any screens anywhere of it... If it's changed I'm killing myself... Hear that Id??? IF YOU CHANGE THE BFG I'M GOING TO CUT MY FUCKING GUTS OPEN AND LET THEM FALL ON MY KEYBOARD!!!!!!!!

All with the music from Suburbs...

Fetus_Fucker said:

A whole lotta ´stuff about Doom 3 not being Doom

Your opinion may be that a new Doom game needs complete replicas of the old creatures, but others can still disagree with you (namely Id and a number of other fans out there).
Be that as it may, this is an art and story forum. If you've got issues with Doom 3's direction, I suggest you go to the Doom 3 forum and post your complaints there, instead of mutating this thread into something that doesn't belong here - I'm sure you'll get more appropriate feedback to your complaints there.

Thank you.

I recently drew up a front and back of the classic cacodemon...but he looks like he'd be fine the way he is in Doom 3.

I'll scan them in and link to them when I get a chance, and see what you people think.

Here we go. My friend hosted them on his site.

Here's the front of it:

http://nomair.ath.cx/images/avatars/cacodemon_front-small.jpg

And the back:

http://nomair.ath.cx/images/avatars/cacodemon_back-small.jpg

Those links should work fine. The cacodemon isn't EXACTLY the same...I made some changes. Such as the cords on the bottom, instead of just stuff hanging off, and some more holes in the back that I figured might help to illustrate how it'd fly.

Parapsyche said:

Here we go. My friend hosted them on his site.

Here's the front of it:

http://nomair.ath.cx/images/avatars/cacodemon_front-small.jpg

And the back:

http://nomair.ath.cx/images/avatars/cacodemon_back-small.jpg

Those links should work fine. The cacodemon isn't EXACTLY the same...I made some changes. Such as the cords on the bottom, instead of just stuff hanging off, and some more holes in the back that I figured might help to illustrate how it'd fly.

Cool.

I decided to give dsm's interpretation of the cacodemon a try with this ink and line drawing provided below. Frankly i doubt i've captured dsm's interpretation at all, despite the fact that i followed the description, and i can't quite put my finger on why. I don't think we'll know until dsm does the pic himself and shows us.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/5179194/

Other than that, two more ideas that sprang to mind, which will be coloured in in the near future

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/5179284/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/5179314/