Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sharessa

Armor

You know, it's kind of strange that I've never known this nor have I ever seen this question asked before. Anyway, how does armor work exactly? Does it make it so that 2/3 of the damage goes to your armor? Or does having a certain amount make your health go down a bit less?

I seriously have no idea, after all these years of playing FPSes (except in Half-Life), where it's rather obvious how it works).

Good question. I always figured that as long as you had >= 1% armor, the damage you took would be cut in half.

Depends on the armor class of the armor you're currently wearing. Your armor class without armor is 1. When you're wearing the green armor, your armor class is 2, and I believe 1/3 of damage taken is absorbed by your armor. When you have blue armor, your armor class is 3, and 1/2 the damage you take is absorbed by your armor.

I agree with scuba... but any ways, it is armour... when you get shot, it slow down the projectile, causeing less damage, and with a slash, same idea. easy consept

BTW, Heretic armor is better than DOOM armor. In Heretic, the silver shield protects you from 50%, and the enchanted shield protects you from a whopping 75% of damage.

Weakmind said:

I agree with scuba... but any ways, it is armour... when you get shot, it slow down the projectile, causeing less damage, and with a slash, same idea. easy consept

Thank you for enlightening us, I'm sure none of us had a clue what armour was.

Ralphis said:

I didn't. Really, I didn't.

If friends aren't gadgets then goggles n a bathin suit n can't 4get tha headfones n cd playas! SWiMMa 4 LiFE! GoTTa LuV it

The Flange Peddler said:

How do the armous bonuses fit into this ? Does it depend on whether the blue or green armour was picked up before ?

Yeah, they add to whichever armor class you have at the time.

So if you get armor bonuses when you have no armor to start with, do they give any protection? Probably gives you green.

Gokuma said:

So if you get armor bonuses when you have no armor to start with, do they give any protection? Probably gives you green.

Yes.

The Flange Peddler said:

Ah right... what if haven't picked up any actual armour at all yet ?

Bloodshedder said:

Your armor class without armor is 1.

What if I have blue armor but below 100%, is it still 1/2 damage? And if I then pick up a green armor, does it become 2/3 damage?

Erik said:

What if I have blue armor but below 100%, is it still 1/2 damage? And if I then pick up a green armor, does it become 2/3 damage?

I was wondering the exact same thing. I never realized that not picking up green armor could be a good strategy.

Mizzad props to Quasar on the Heretic armor thing... can we have some stats now on the Hexen armor stuff? Since it is all usable cross-game in ZDoom, using all of these different armor types could be pretty cool in Doom. I always wanted more armor class flexibility in DeHackED, but it looks like this could be a good settling point.

For Hexen 0 AC = 0%, up to 20 AC = 100%. Only when you're a pig do you have 0 AC, and only a fighter can get to 20 AC when he has all armor and uses the Dragonskin Bracers.

Mesh Armor - gives 1 AC to the mage, 2 AC to the cleric and 5 AC to the fighter
Falcon Shield - gives 3 AC to the mage, 5 AC to the cleric and 4 AC to the fighter
Platinum Helmet - gives 2 AC to the mage, 1 AC to the cleric and 3 AC to the fighter
Amulet of Warding - gives 5 AC to the mage, 4 AC to the cleric and 1 AC to the fighter
Dragonskin Bracers - gives 4 AC extra
Mystic Ambit Incant - gives 1 AC extra for the fighter only

Can you determine from the source what each will do to the Doom player? Do you have any thoughts on how the armor from different games will interact? Is there anything you can tell about that from the source? I wouldn't know what to look for even if I had the source... I don't have much experience with Hexen, either, so I would be even more lost.