Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Apothem

interesting question

okay here's something that has always bugged me:
wth is the item percentage in the intermision screen in doom and doom 2 stand for?!

Apothem said:

okay here's something that has always bugged me:
wth is the item percentage in the intermision screen in doom and doom 2 stand for?!

It tells you, how many 'items' you have picked up.

Those are:

Armor bonus
Health bonus
Supercharge
MegaSphere
Berserk
Invisibility
Invulnerability
Automap
Infrared goggles

and maybe one or two more.

I doubt that automap is counted as an item - you can only take one computer per map and will walk over any other computers that may be present.

my hypothesis is

Soul/invulnerability/invisibility spheres
bonuses (both kinds)
Weapons
armor (i think, might be wrong.)
backpacks
rad suits
berserk packs
C.A.M.
and the good old goggles

BTW, weapons may or may not be counted....

Graf Zahl's list is correct. Checked by going into dehacked and seeing which items had bit 23 "Affects Kill %" set.

Generally items which cannot be picked up under certain circumstances do not count (eg, you cannot pick up a shotgun if you already have one and 50/100 shells). The exception being the computer map. As has been said, if you pick one of them up on a map, you cannot pick up a second one - so 100% items would not be possible on that map.

I think the Rad suit is the only "power uppy" kind of thing that does not count as an item and can always be picked up.

Enjay said:

The exception being the computer map. As has been said, if you pick one of them up on a map, you cannot pick up a second one - so 100% items would not be possible on that map.

I'm just wondering why no source port has fixed this yet. It's clearly an error (if an item counts it should always be able to be picked up) and makes 100% items on E1M8 impossible.

Why would you ever put more than 1 computer map on a single map?
I suppose there is an issue with hub-capable ports and 100% screens????

Graf Zahl said:

...and makes 100% items on E1M8 impossible.

Ummm, I can only find 1 computer map on E1M8, and E1M8 has no intermission anyway. :-P But yes, I take your point.

DEMOn said:

Why would you ever put more than 1 computer map on a single map?

You might want 2 in a map - eg. A computer map in a hard to find/secret place early on so that the careful/exploratory player gets rewarded and has an automap for most of the level, but a more obvious one later on so that any player has a reasonable chance of finding a map - if the mapper felt that was something they wanted a player to have by the end of the map. There would be no advantage to picking them both up other than getting the 100% count - which can't happen.

Plutonia MAP28 has two computer maps right next to each other close to the player start (different sides of a corridor).

Enjay said:

You might want 2 in a map - eg. A computer map in a hard to find/secret place early on so that the careful/exploratory player gets rewarded and has an automap for most of the level, but a more obvious one later on so that any player has a reasonable chance of finding a map

good reason... who cares about 100% items anyway? (besides crazy people like Ledmeister)

DEMOn said:

good reason... who cares about 100% items anyway? (besides crazy people like Ledmeister)

:D

Only for certain demos/demosets. When playing just for fun, I never bother with 100% Items score.

Donce said:

Plutonia MAP28 has two computer maps right next to each other close to the player start (different sides of a corridor).

co-operative mode seems an obvious reason for that. I've never actually played doom multiplayer though, i don't know if an automap picked up by one player would affect the other or not...

beezee88 said:

co-operative mode seems an obvious reason for that. I've never actually played doom multiplayer though, i don't know if an automap picked up by one player would affect the other or not...

no it won't... same goes with light googles and radsuits.
Items picked up by a player won't affect other players...