Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Renegades

Master Levels question

Just got the master levels for doom II on my pc, I have windows XP and have no clue how to install it. any advice?

thx
-mike

BlackFish said:

just put the wad into your doom2 directory and load it.

Wow, considering you have to install first.

You may be out of luck, as I dunno if the Master Level's installer works in XP. Just explore the CD-ROM, find anything like setup.*** or install.*** and run it. Install to the directory of your choice.

The master levels is a bunch of pwads for Doom 2. So you need Doom 2 set up on your computer, with a modern port since it's WinXP. Answering your question depends on how much you know about running Doom; if you have a port and Doom 2 and know how to run pwads with it, all you have to do is find the wad files and text files descriping them. If not, you need to download a port and find out how to use it.

Wow, considering you have to install first.

I didnt have to install when I got them, I just browsed the CD to the master levels folder and copied and pasted them into my WADs folder then loaded up my doom port, set the level and away I went.

The Master Levels were a small set of high quality (for the time) wads for Doom II. Unfortunately, you cannot access these on XP because they are bundled with DE-ICE which is a dos program. You could get lucky though, so give the install program a try (the .bat file thats named install).

The Maximum Levels, however are in two seperate directories on the cd, one for Doom, and the other for Doom II. These wads IMO aren't very good, but then there are come classics on here like the dwangos, cleimos, and uac_dead.

There are 1629 Doom II wads and 201 Doom wads in Maximum Doom.

Heres how I installed my Master Levels with my XP...

In the start menu click on the "Run" option.

In the run option type in the following "cmd.exe"

This should take you to the DOS window...

Insert your Master levels disk and type in the following..

(NOTE - Your drive letters may be different then mine)

Either E:\ or F:\ (my PC works with Both), once your at the right directory type in cd/master...

From e:\master or f:\master type install...

After it installed, I copied my levels and txt files to my Prboom and Zdoom directories...

EDIT - Once in the right directories do the following to play the levels...

from start menu do the whole "cmd.exe" thing in the run option again..

go to your source port directory, mine is cd/prboom...

from the directory type in the following...

Example with prboom..

prboom -file attack -warp 1 -skill 4 -complevel 0 (complevel not needed)...

Voila, now you should be able to play them in XP. Hope this helped you out...

Just tested the deice install in XP, and it worked just fine. I didn't even need to open a DOS prompt window.

My copy of the master levels is the one in the id Anthology, BTW.